ESRI report - 80% of young gaels have difficulty balancing study and play

Started by Sportacus, December 17, 2019, 05:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: keep her low this half on December 21, 2019, 11:54:34 PM
The problem isn't inter county level, it is much much younger
I am currently coaching u-16
Two of our players are currently taining u-16, u-18, schools and county. One of them also plays soccer. This is to say nothing of the exams they are studying for, their part time jobs and any other social (girlfriends) interest they may have. Inter county players have it easy. Juveniles are being destroyed.

As a juvenile I played hurling football and county hurling. Played for school also, the level of training is improved nowadays but the kids adopt to it.

In my day at 16 if you were good enough you played senior also, in a busy week you'd 4 games plus training. Snowflakes the lot of them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 18, 2019, 09:49:27 AM
The GPA are probably raging that their elite athletes who put their lives on hold were chatting about big dirty sessions!
Once again the whole thing is rigged that the GPA will look on it as an overall GAA issue and will ask us what can we do, instead of fuckin calling out COUNTY MANAGERS.
John Horan doesn't set out gym plans and enforce drink bans.

Niall Moyna is out on Off The Ball saying that training could be reduced by 40% and still the games would be good. The idea of rest that is big in professional sports seems to be totally lost on the GAA S&C.

A lad from Four Masters, Luke Keaney, who was on the fringes of the Donegal squad for a number of years under McGuinness and Rory Gallagher before  developing serious, chronic hip problems was on Off The Ball the other week talking about this very subject. Great listen for a discussion of the over-training and crazy demands on these young lads training/playing Sigerson, U-21 and senior county all at the same time.

Even worse, the Donegal County Board basically cut him loose and abandoned him. He had to raise money for the hip operations himself. GPA helped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5cSXtnug6E

rrhf

This was a shocker and as much as I dislike the corporate infiltration of the GPA this is where a players body can excell. The sad thing is how devoted the lad was to playing for his county and the lack of responsibility taken by Donegal.