The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 02:52:35 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 27, 2023, 02:44:53 PM
Arlene not happy. That's a good sign  ;D

I don't know where unionism go from here.

Hard unionism has already created another couple of bogeymen in King Charles and the Irish News and the day isn't yet over! The lack of self awareness that Arlene Foster displays is bizarre. She's got her big titles but was the main instigator in leading Unionism down this path yet instead of staying in the background she has continued to put herself at the front and centre of any political debate. Definitely more loyal to the half crown than the crown that one, together with the other Westminster MP cronies.

To my eternal shame I first read that as something else  :-[

Taylor

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 27, 2023, 03:06:02 PM

Hard unionism has already created another couple of bogeymen in King Charles and the Irish News and the day isn't yet over! The lack of self awareness that Arlene Foster displays is bizarre. She's got her big titles but was the main instigator in leading Unionism down this path yet instead of staying in the background she has continued to put herself at the front and centre of any political debate. Definitely more loyal to the half crown than the crown that one, together with the other Westminster MP cronies.

As did I - was going to say I never noticed them before  :-[

yellowcard

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 27, 2023, 03:06:02 PM

🤣🤣

armaghniac

They are going to call this new Protocol the Windsor agreement or something like that. How could any unionist oppose that?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Sunak by announcing this must think it meets the DUPs tests and that it's the best he can do. Interesting few hours and days ahead to see if the DUP do accept it and if they will return to Stormont. If the answers to those questions is No, I honestly don't know where we go from here.

seafoid

She's a real Brexit muppet, same as most of the ERG heads. They were chosen because they wouldn't object to anything.
She's the intellectual equivalent of Mark Francois.

Applesisapples

This brake will lead to a shit show, unionist veto.

yellowcard

It's a huge opportunity for Jim Allister to make his party the voice of Unionism. Donaldson has looked like a lame duck leader from day one and this fork in the road was coming. From a tactical perspective Allister has played him like a kipper. Its a given that Allister will reject the deal and subsequently LCC/OO/loyalist alliance so then its over to Jeffrey whose head must be spinning at the minute. I can't see him backing it and if he does he's probably toast. 

NAG1

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 04:05:24 PM
It's a huge opportunity for Jim Allister to make his party the voice of Unionism. Donaldson has looked like a lame duck leader from day one and this fork in the road was coming. From a tactical perspective Allister has played him like a kipper. Its a given that Allister will reject the deal and subsequently LCC/OO/loyalist alliance so then its over to Jeffrey whose head must be spinning at the minute. I can't see him backing it and if he does he's probably toast.

But if he does it is another opportunity for the non-unionist parties. If they split they hardline vote between DUP and TUV again they will do nothing but gut themselves, weakening their position further.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 27, 2023, 03:58:39 PM

It's not, the POC has to be "applied" with London/Westminster & then has to be externally assessed if the POC numbers are met 
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

yellowcard

Quote from: NAG1 on February 27, 2023, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2023, 04:05:24 PM

But if he does it is another opportunity for the non-unionist parties. If they split they hardline vote between DUP and TUV again they will do nothing but gut themselves, weakening their position further.

It could well do. At the minute TUV is effectively a one man band but if Donaldson can't keep his party together then Allister will profit most and will make capital off the back of that. Whatever you think about Allister (and he is horrific) he is more of a leader and strategist than Jeffrey Donaldson will ever be.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 27, 2023, 04:08:58 PM

It's not, the POC has to be "applied" with London/Westminster & then has to be externally assessed if the POC numbers are met
The POC has been invoked more by the DUP than any other party and Allister and enough UUP will pitch in.

tbrick18

Probably a stupid question.....is it possible for Uk Government and Irish Government together to change items of the GFA? Namely the ability for a single party to pull the institutions down.

If the DUP don't accept this deal, by their own admission they will not return to government so we are at a permanent stalemate.
In that scenario, the only parties remaining are UK and Irish governement so I'm just wondering if there is anything they can do to enable the Assembly to return with the DUP.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 27, 2023, 04:15:58 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on February 27, 2023, 04:08:58 PM

The POC has been invoked more by the DUP than any other party and Allister and enough UUP will pitch in.

You need to read my post again, it can't happen with just Stormont parties alone applying it. London has to agree & we will also soon have a Labour government
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come