Cavan v Tyrone - 5pm, Clones, Sat 6th July

Started by tyroneman, July 01, 2019, 12:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

Had Murphy been rightly sent off against Cavan they would have got a lot closer to Donegal.

I'm pissed with this tie tbh. I'd love to see Cavan progress to the super 8 but now of course I want to see Tyrone win. The missus was nearly crying with the draw (cavan woman).

J70

Quote from: Jayop on July 01, 2019, 06:11:19 PM
Had Murphy been rightly sent off against Cavan they would have got a lot closer to Donegal.

I'm pissed with this tie tbh. I'd love to see Cavan progress to the super 8 but now of course I want to see Tyrone win. The missus was nearly crying with the draw (cavan woman).

Assuming for the sake of argument you are correct that he deserved it and Murphy had in fact been sent off for his needless idiocy, then you'd be saying Cavan lost narrowly or even won only because Murphy had got the line.

What relevance does that have to Cavan's challenge now against a retooled and stronger Tyrone?

I don't think confidence or attitude is Cavan's issue here.

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on July 01, 2019, 06:06:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2019, 05:53:20 PM
Mickey Graham has lifted a couple of hoodoos this year

1- Beating one bogey team, Roscommon, in the league
2- Beating another bogey team Monaghan after a string of tight championship defeats in recent years
3- Getting us to an Ulster final, maintaining Cavans record of being in at least 1 ulster final in every decade since foundation of the GAA.

Now the biggest f**king hoodoo of them all, Tyrone. If he can sort this one out he will be some man.

I don't know what to expect to be honest, Tyrone looked powerful against Kildare and can Cavan lift themselves after the Ulster final (someone called it a hammering, it was 5 points hardly a hammering). Sick with that draw to be honest, I'd have been confident against any of the other teams. Bookies have us at 10/3 which says they not giving us much hope.

It was a hammering. Ten points would have been a much truer reflection of Donegal's dominance.

Don't feel bad, Tyrone fared the same against Donegal when their tactically inept, lifeless performance merited a double figure beating! That they scored three quick points in injury time to end up losing by only four doesn't change that

And we suffered the same against Dublin in the Super 8s last year. We lost by five points, but it was nowhere near a five point gulf in class or control of the game. Dublin did the bare minimum they needed to. They could have blown us out of the water.

I measure hammering by the scoreline, not by what the scoreline might have been or should have been but your comments otherwise are fair 

BennyCake

Quote from: Rois on July 01, 2019, 02:41:22 PM
FFS. 

Will Sky be showing it?  I'll be in Croke Park.    :'(

I thought this would be a double header with Westlife at Croke Park.

Dire Ear

Cavan gave Tyrone their full of it in the U-21s a few years ago,  what happenad since?
Do Tyrone simply have a stronger squad of players;  consistant management?
Cavan have every chance if Tyrone play the way they did v Donegal

Angelo

Cavan will be a tough test but the performance against Kildare was encouraging so I'd hope we can get over it and from then on we have a great chance.

We are potentially two wins over Cavan and Roscommon from an AI semi final (I'd expect us to beat Cork/Laois comfortably). They're both improved sides from last year so we'll need to put in a performance but Saturday was a move in the right direction and if we're on our game we should get the wins.

It's a good position to be in and we just have to make sure the mindset is right and the focus is on game by game as it's very easy to look ahead.

Making sure the likes of Reilly, McKiernan, McVeety and Mackey have minimal impact on the game will be the key to negotiating Cavan. Tough break for Cavan as it's a big ask to beat Tyrone and I think they would have had little problem with either Laois or Clare and would be capable of being competitive in Croke Park.

From a competitive point of view, the Super 8s would be a much better spectacle if Galway, Mayo, Tyrone and Cavan were the sides to progress in this round but much like the last round - the 4 best teams drew each other.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

meathie

Quote from: Angelo on July 01, 2019, 09:25:41 PM
Cavan will be a tough test but the performance against Kildare was encouraging so I'd hope we can get over it and from then on we have a great chance.

We are potentially two wins over Cavan and Roscommon from an AI semi final (I'd expect us to beat Cork/Laois comfortably). They're both improved sides from last year so we'll need to put in a performance but Saturday was a move in the right direction and if we're on our game we should get the wins.

It's a good position to be in and we just have to make sure the mindset is right and the focus is on game by game as it's very easy to look ahead.

Making sure the likes of Reilly, McKiernan, McVeety and Mackey have minimal impact on the game will be the key to negotiating Cavan. Tough break for Cavan as it's a big ask to beat Tyrone and I think they would have had little problem with either Laois or Clare and would be capable of being competitive in Croke Park.

From a competitive point of view, the Super 8s would be a much better spectacle if Galway, Mayo, Tyrone and Cavan were the sides to progress in this round but much like the last round - the 4 best teams drew each other.

Sorry maybe this is for another thread or maybe it's just from hearing this all day, but why the complete disrespect to the counties who have made it to where they all are? In fairness as it stands, why is it so much better that Galway or Cavan etc would be in super 8s rather than us or Clare or Cork or Laois? In reality what have these counties done/ proven to be more worthy than anyone else at this point? As it has played out so far Dublin, Donegal and maybe Tyrone are looking like likely contenders  but apart from that it's still all to play for....so condescending

omaghjoe

Quote from: meathie on July 01, 2019, 10:34:30 PM

Sorry maybe this is for another thread or maybe it's just from hearing this all day, but why the complete disrespect to the counties who have made it to where they all are? In fairness as it stands, why is it so much better that Galway or Cavan etc would be in super 8s rather than us or Clare or Cork or Laois? In reality what have these counties done/ proven to be more worthy than anyone else at this point? As it has played out so far Dublin, Donegal and maybe Tyrone are looking like likely contenders  but apart from that it's still all to play for....so condescending

Compare Mayo or Tyrone pairings to Clares. They'd have been out long ago and they're actually in there with a decent chance of making the super 8s...pure luck that got them this far

Itchy

Not condescending, it is a fact that you got a very fortunate draw. I believe Meath to be a very average team who are being hyped up by the media a bit this year to create the illusion of a contest in Leinster.  None of this is Meaths fault bit like monaghan last year beating half of div 4 to get to super 8s.

Rossfan

I think it's not unreasonable to say that the losers of Cavan/Tyrone and Herrins/Rhubarbs would be better teams than the winners of Meath/Clare or Cork/Laois.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

redhandefender

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2019, 08:57:24 AM

Not condescending, it is a fact that you got a very fortunate draw. I believe Meath to be a very average team who are being hyped up by the media a bit this year to create the illusion of a contest in Leinster.  None of this is Meaths fault bit like monaghan last year beating half of div 4 to get to super 8s.
Obviously it's not enough just to get to the super 8s, you have to perform once you get there and to anybody but but a blind embittered Cavan man, Monaghan performed with distinction.

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2019, 09:21:59 AM
I think it's not unreasonable to say that the losers of Cavan/Tyrone and Herrins/Rhubarbs would be better teams than the winners of Meath/Clare or Cork/Laois.
I have only seen Meath and Cork play and they would compete if not beat the losers of other 2 qualifier.

Blowitupref

Quote from: redhandefender on July 02, 2019, 11:58:52 AM
Draw, ye heard it here 1st

Must be finished on the day which includes penalties if required. Now imagine reaching the last 8 in that manner?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

RedHand88

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 02, 2019, 12:58:58 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on July 02, 2019, 11:58:52 AM
Draw, ye heard it here 1st

Must be finished on the day which includes penalties if required. Now imagine reaching the last 8 in that manner?

Can we speculate who the 5 would be?

Harte, Mcshane, M Donnelly, Brennan, Morgan?