Hurling Rules and refereeing

Started by manfromdelmonte, January 22, 2019, 07:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0121/1024635-a-number-of-hurling-handpasses-are-not-legal/

"Willie Barrett: Referees must clamp down on the number of illegal handpasses in hurling"

About bloody time. Just because you flick the hand doesn't make it a legal pass

johnnycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 22, 2019, 07:50:47 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0121/1024635-a-number-of-hurling-handpasses-are-not-legal/

"Willie Barrett: Referees must clamp down on the number of illegal handpasses in hurling"

About bloody time. Just because you flick the hand doesn't make it a legal pass

I think the illegal handpasses are more inclined to happen in the ruck situations where a lad is surrounded by two or three others then all of a sudden the ball spurts out, especially underarm. A lot of the time there doesn't seem to be a clear striking motion but hard for a referee to see in a crowd.

Start ruling on the steps and the spare arm/hurl fouls and encourage proper tackling, flicking away of the ball and we'd have an even better spectacle of a game.

manfromdelmonte

Just waiting for Cody to come out and say there's nothing wrong with the current manly hurling

marty34

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 22, 2019, 05:02:42 PM
Just waiting for Cody to come out and say there's nothing wrong with the current manly hurling

In fairness, it's very hard to spot in real time especially coming out of a ruck.  I'd say, with this directive now, they'll be a serious clamp down in the early stages of the league. Hopefully it'll work!

Another issue today is the challenge to the head - i'm all in favour.  Some of them are reckless and the player gets a yellow card.  It'll be red, in hurling and football, from now on.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: marty34 on January 22, 2019, 07:08:30 PM

In fairness, it's very hard to spot in real time especially coming out of a ruck.  I'd say, with this directive now, they'll be a serious clamp down in the early stages of the league. Hopefully it'll work!

Another issue today is the challenge to the head - i'm all in favour.  Some of them are reckless and the player gets a yellow card.  It'll be red, in hurling and football, from now on.
Yeah, but if a fella in amber/black runs straight at you with the head down what do you do?
There are very few actual head high challenges
Most of them are due to players dipping down into the tackle or catching the opponents hurley with their own hurley and causing the helmet to come off

marty34

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 22, 2019, 08:46:12 PM

Yeah, but if a fella in amber/black runs straight at you with the head down what do you do?
There are very few actual head high challenges
Most of them are due to players dipping down into the tackle or catching the opponents hurley with their own hurley and causing the helmet to come off

True but there's a few nasty ones also. I remember Colin Fennelly near losing his head V Galway in the AIF in2015. A reckless head high challenge with no attempt made to tackle.

In football, the one I'd be wary of is the high elbow connecting withanother's players head as he changes direction.  Looks different from different angles and hard for referee to see it.  All it takes is a light connection of elbow to head and lights are out.

johnnycool

This was enforced a few years back if you remember Patrick Horgan getting a straight red when his hurl came down onto the head of a Limerick lad when challenging for a high ball and what the referee had to take after the game was unreal.
Now in that instance I don't think there was any malice, (just badly timed one handed pull) in what Horgan was attempting to do but since that referees shied away from issuing reds unless there was pure malice which in all fairness there hasn't been a lot off in recent years.
Start issuing yellows for the arms and hurls around the neck and also blow up lads on the 5 and 6th steps and one will fix the other.

SCFC

What's the thoughts on Tony Kelly's red card last night?
I'm in the minority who think the ref got it right. Kelly could have pulled out of that tackle easily and it was dangerously high.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SCFC on January 27, 2019, 07:22:19 PM
What's the thoughts on Tony Kelly's red card last night?
I'm in the minority who think the ref got it right. Kelly could have pulled out of that tackle easily and it was dangerously high.

Having watched it and knowing that Croke are cracking down on that type of tackle then it was a red, will that type be a red in some div3 game at club level? Probably not..

Going on last years games it was a yellow, but surely these lads are coached leading up to the start on the league on what's acceptable and what's not!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea