FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2016, 05:23:20 PM
Nice to put the rossies back in their box

Disappointing to see Seafoid so ungracious in victory.
I suppose we can expect more of the same if fate decides
that Galway beat Roscommon in the Connacht final, if they
both make it.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 24, 2016, 07:25:19 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on January 24, 2016, 07:20:50 PM
Lads, is it any wonder that players suffer burn out and injuries. Use Roscommon as just one example.

Last Sunday, they played Mayo..Last Thursday night, they played Armagh in a challenge match
and today they played Galway. That`s 3 games in a week, all on heavy pitches. No doubt, there was a training
session thrown in as well. Madness.

Madness! In fairness I'd say the Armagh game was a tag Rugby session. And the FBD v Mayo was in 2nd gear at best. But still madness!

Only a few starters would have played the regulation of both. Lads that'll start Sunday like Cregg weren't even togged. McStay was the one who wound down the training Brigids were doing when he felt they'd reached a good level of fitness. Lots of players with little game-time and only returning from injury.

McStay-FOD will have to cut ten off the panel for the league so this week was the final chance for many of the fringe lads to impress.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on January 23, 2016, 02:01:03 PM

If as seems likely we'll be well bet at midfield then Galway should put us down
Right as usual unfortunately. However I didn't factor in such an awful opening by our goal man/FBD line.
Once Feathers ton settled into it he improved the latter situation. The Dalys still haven't a clue about defending  while 3 or 4 of the starters today likely won't be seen in a County jersey again.
A good second half held the herrins to 3 points against the wind.
We finished with  a better team than we started with.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Nihilist

Do the winners get anything for winning the FBD. I know a couple of years ago I think there was a free holiday for the team but is something like that still happening?

Syferus

Quote from: Nihilist on January 24, 2016, 09:19:47 PM
Do the winners get anything for winning the FBD. I know a couple of years ago I think there was a free holiday for the team but is something like that still happening?

Used to play NY in October in an Away Final. Mayo had a meltdown about the cost of traveling over and it's been quietly shuffled aside since then. It wasn't a free holiday.

Shrewdness

It only became an issue for Mayo AFTER they lost the All Ireland final to Donegal. They
obviously expected Sam to be on that plane with them. They couldn`t stomach it after that.

seafoid

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 24, 2016, 07:26:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2016, 05:23:20 PM
Nice to put the rossies back in their box

Disappointing to see Seafoid so ungracious in victory.
I suppose we can expect more of the same if fate decides
that Galway beat Roscommon in the Connacht final, if they
both make it.
I was just thinking it will be a very quiet post FBD week this year. I suppose Syfin is getting older as well. He does claim a lot of space on behalf of Ros. Hopefully both teams will give Connacht a good rattle this year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

giveballaghback

Well seafoid ros are back in their box allright but its a division 1 box playing all the top teams, meanwhile Galway will be taking part in the Ulster fest in the box down under, have fun!

seafoid

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 24, 2016, 11:11:55 PM
Well seafoid ros are back in their box allright but its a division 1 box playing all the top teams, meanwhile Galway will be taking part in the Ulster fest in the box down under, have fun!
too high too far too soon

giveballaghback

Maroon Manc

Any of the Galway lads at the game?

Wynne, Kyne, Heaney & Tierney have all got plenty of game time the last month, have they done enough to warrant a start next week?

seafoid

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 24, 2016, 11:11:55 PM
too high too far too soon

Nihilist

Quote from: Syferus on January 24, 2016, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on January 24, 2016, 09:19:47 PM

Used to play NY in October in an Away Final. Mayo had a meltdown about the cost of traveling over and it's been quietly shuffled aside since then. It wasn't a free holiday.

Rightly so too when you consider the panel at the end of the season and the lads who played in FBD but didn't make it. In total it would push the trip (including management and backroom) to about 60 personnel.
At a cost of probably €1000  per person (and I'm not counting partners) its easy to see why Mayo board baulked at it. Of course you have the complainers on this site giving out about Mayo having too much money etc. This was just another example of a team trying to live within very tight means. 

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 25, 2016, 10:47:44 AM

Wynne, Kyne, Heaney & Tierney have all got plenty of game time the last month, have they done enough to warrant a start next week?
Can be very difficult to judge new players this time of year with most games being played in heavy conditions and with the training regimes they are all going through, be that college and/or county.  All 4 above had their moments in the few games I have been to with Wynne and Heaney being particularly impressive.  Gary O'Donnell was very good yesterday also and hopefully he will carry on from last years form. 

Conroy has been good (better than last year) in all games so far and his fitness and work rate is impressive for this time of year - he needs a big year and he was way off his best in 2015.  Varley and Comer have had their moments through the FBD and both will be key players for us this year.  Great to see to see Walsh play a small part yesterday and hope he gets back to his undoubted potential. 

A good few key players will be absent for the first few league games but its a great opportunity for lads to put their hand up for the championship - would be great to get out of Div 2 but it will require a consistency of results that we have not seen for a long time - here's hoping!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on January 25, 2016, 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 25, 2016, 10:47:44 AM

Can be very difficult to judge new players this time of year with most games being played in heavy conditions and with the training regimes they are all going through, be that college and/or county.  All 4 above had their moments in the few games I have been to with Wynne and Heaney being particularly impressive.  Gary O'Donnell was very good yesterday also and hopefully he will carry on from last years form. 

Conroy has been good (better than last year) in all games so far and his fitness and work rate is impressive for this time of year - he needs a big year and he was way off his best in 2015.  Varley and Comer have had their moments through the FBD and both will be key players for us this year.  Great to see to see Walsh play a small part yesterday and hope he gets back to his undoubted potential. 

A good few key players will be absent for the first few league games but its a great opportunity for lads to put their hand up for the championship - would be great to get out of Div 2 but it will require a consistency of results that we have not seen for a long time - here's hoping!

Thanks for that, I'd imagine the team that starts next weekend will be the most inexperienced team team in the division. It looks like 4 of the 6 backs will be making their debut next weekend. To have a chance of promotion we need to win at least one of our first 2 games which isn't going to be easy considering we play Tyrone in week 2.