American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron-hernandez-conviction-abatement/index.html

Because of an archaic Massachusetts law, dying in the process of appealing a conviction means it's vacated. Gives Hernandez' family a shot at his signing bonus money from the Patriots, and helps prevent civil suits against the family that could rely on the conviction as evidence. If the concussion study on his brain shows something then the NFL may be financially liable in some way too. His suicide makes a lot more sense now.

Oraisteach

Cavs are mediocre right now, but may still hit their stride.  Few thought they'd outlast the Warriors last year.  On a football note, I see that the Browns will play the Vikings in London on Oct. 29.

gallsman

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 21, 2017, 11:31:10 PM
Cavs are mediocre right now, but may still hit their stride.  Few thought they'd outlast the Warriors last year.  On a football note, I see that the Browns will play the Vikings in London on Oct. 29.

Yeah but the Warriors have Durant this year and LeBron can't pull out 16 games on his own on offence and do all the D as well.

The Hernandez case still beggars belief. I still can't wrap my head around the sheer arrogance of it all.

gallsman

Celtics back in it at 2-2 against the Bulls. Cavs closed out one of the tightest 4-0 sweeps you'll ever see against the Pacers, so an extra few days rest for LeBron.

heganboy

Hernandez

There is a rumor going around that there is an exposé about Hernandez due to be released in the next few weeks.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

Quote from: heganboy on April 24, 2017, 03:30:44 PM
Hernandez

There is a rumor going around that there is an exposé about Hernandez due to be released in the next few weeks.

"Rumours" about his sexuality
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Draft coming up on Thursday. Myles Garrett the consensus number 1, but it's going to be interesting to see how the QBs go. Deep draft for running backs and defensive backs too.

Crete Boom

Strong rumours over the weekend that the Browns are split on talking Trubisky and Garrett. They obviously believe the reports that the Niners are going QB at 2 and are worried Trubisky won't be there in the 7-12 range picks so some it seems want to pull the Trigger at 1 for Ohio boy Trubisky.
As a Bears fan I would be delighted with the Browns and Niners going for QB's as that would mean unbelievably Myles Garrett would fall to us at 3!!! :o :o :o
Personally I think the Browns take Garrett at 1 and the Niners take Solomon Thomas at 2 with nobody really knowing what the Bears will do at 3.
The most consistent thread lately for the Bears is taking one of Jamal Adams/Malik Hooker/Lattimore at 3 and trading back into the first around 24 or 26 and taking Kizer or Mahomes.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if Pace takes Watson at 3 and Obi Melonfonwu/Budda Baker at 36!!

AZOffaly

I wonder where Fournette will go. Or Dalvin Cook.

Crete Boom

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2017, 04:42:38 PM
I wonder where Fournette will go. Or Dalvin Cook.

I think Fournette will go top 6, probably to the Jags or maybe the Panthers trade up to get him.
I think Cook will slide out of the 1st round as a lot of teams think he has durability and character issues.
Personally I think the Bucs should gamble and take Cook in the 1st as he would would be a great fit for them.

stew

Ted Thompson has had two of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game and apart from a few marquee signings he has been awful getting them free agency players that could put them over the top, he is a bit like Wegner in a way, he refuses to spend the house money and as a result holds the organization back, and the aforementioned quarterbacks never fulfilled their full potential.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Crete Boom

Quote from: stew on April 25, 2017, 12:28:36 PM
Ted Thompson has had two of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game and apart from a few marquee signings he has been awful getting them free agency players that could put them over the top, he is a bit like Wegner in a way, he refuses to spend the house money and as a result holds the organization back, and the aforementioned quarterbacks never fulfilled their full potential.

He has wiffed on first round picks as well stew like Datone Jones and Damarious Randall although Spriggs should turn into a good left tackle when he gets stronger.It is crazy to go from Favre (my favourite all time QB even though he torched my Bears time and again) to Rodgers and only have two Superbowls!! A cv like that would normally only get you the Bears GM job!! ;D
I think the pack should go all in to get Christian McCaffrey. He would be an instant star with Rodgers and that offensive line as he is like a super charged Matt Forte without the red zone weakness Forte had!! The draft is so deep with defensive talent that they really should give Rodgers a blue chip offensive weapon in the first!!

Minder

Don't think McCaffrey will still be there @ 29 for the Packers. I know what you are saying about Rodgers and the offense but they need help on that D.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Crete Boom

Mitchell Trubisky come on down( just don't go down with Rex Grossman and Cade McNown!!) Well I didn't see that one coming!! Think the Niners fleeced us to move up.Well played John Lynch though.
P.S Stop laughing in the back there Stew and Minder  ;D ;D

Capt Pat

Chiefs traded up for Pat Mahomes at QB with the tenth Pick. The Texans traded up with the Brown's at pick 12 to get quarterback Desean Watson.