GAA journalism

Started by qwerty123, July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 02, 2012, 11:20:35 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 02:12:03 PM
I miss the Tribune - Shannon, McEvoy, Clerkin, even MacKenna who I might add is making a right tit of himself over the SJ saga...

+1 (re the Tribune). I don't know what Ewan is saying about SJ, but he has some 'outre' opinions alright.

+1, although MacKenna was a massive weak link compared with Shannon and McEvoy.

Shannon's columns were routinely magnificent and I enjoyed McEvoy's despite them being about hurling.

Oh, and I would have one Paddy Bradley on my team ahead of six Joe Brollys.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

heffo

Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 18, 2012, 09:13:35 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 02, 2012, 11:20:35 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 02:12:03 PM
I miss the Tribune - Shannon, McEvoy, Clerkin, even MacKenna who I might add is making a right tit of himself over the SJ saga...

+1 (re the Tribune). I don't know what Ewan is saying about SJ, but he has some 'outre' opinions alright.

+1, although MacKenna was a massive weak link compared with Shannon and McEvoy.

Think he's poor and ill-informed myself.

trileacman

Quote from: sheamy on July 18, 2012, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 18, 2012, 12:54:32 PM

We all like Brolly's prose because we all know and been frustrated by the type and would love to have the platform for those sentiments. He is articulating what we feel.

The ultimate irony of the article is that the sentiments could be applied specifically to the author. if he were playing today, jedward would have to be triplets.

Brolly epitomised as a player the very traits he espouses to detest.

You're confusing flamboyance and 'prima dona' tendencies. Not the same thing. For all his faults I don't believe Joe was ever that. Character and loyalty are the traits he spoke of I believe.

You can't draw a line as easy as that. Blonde hair and pulling up your socks makes you a prima dona but blowing kisses means you are loyal and a big game player. Brolly is a slabber and if he was kicking ball now he'd be the attention-seeking gobshite he currently derides.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

maigheo

jeez that Brolly article was brutal,I am no fan of c.mort but you would swear he was the worst footballer to come out of Mayo and never played a good game in his life.Always look forward to reading D.OShea's article every week in the Times.Way ahead of any other ex player turned pundit and is never vindictive like Brolly.

Hardy

Does anyone remember Kevin Cashman or know if he's still among us and philosophising about hurling? If ever there was a man intoxicated with the exuberance of his own verbosity ..

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on July 19, 2012, 09:38:09 AM
Does anyone remember Kevin Cashman or know if he's still among us and philosophising about hurling? If ever there was a man intoxicated with the exuberance of his own verbosity ..
If he is still around he would take a fine hatchet to puke football .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheThirdManning

If you's like what O'Se does in the Times I recommend you check out the two new columnists on GAA.ie. They only started up last week.

Steven McDonnell is doing a football one - http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/columnists/1807120946-point-taken-steven-mcdonnell-on-football/

Donal Og is looking after the Hurling end - http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/columnists/1107121316-on-the-line-donal-og-cusack-on-hurling/

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2012, 09:45:58 AM

My god, Cashman was something else. I suppose he tried to paint a picture but it was hard reading for us mere mortals.

emmetryan

I really like Ó Sé's column, he had a great one this week on the Kerry-Tyrone battles he played in.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2012, 09:45:58 AM
And puke hurling.

From the Bunker

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 18, 2012, 10:08:52 AM
http://www.seangarvan.ie/brolly.pdf

go on the joe

Had a read of this yesterday and initially thought, yeah way to go Joe. But after a bit of thought, a bit of sense hit in. Gaelic Footballers are amateurs. They do not get paid and give their free time. Some get sorted as Brolly digs at in his column about Parnells giving Mortimer a Job in their Gym, i see nothing wrong with this. It a sort of scratch back thing.

Anyway, he has picked on three so called culprits, Conor Mortimer, Seanie Johnson and Paddy Bradley. He tries to put all three under the Prima Donna heading. I find these sort of character assassination uncomfortable. From my own personal point of view i was disappointed with Conor Mortimers resignation from the Mayo squad. He had let himself and the squad down. But nobody died, nobody was seriously injured, he did not stop anybody else from playing, he had no contract.

Seanie Johnson's case is also a mess. But with all the media attention you'd swear he was the first player to cross over and play for another county.

Paddy Bradley, what's that all about? Looking from a distance, Paddy seem to give 100% to the Derry cause, bar injury he there year in year out.

You see what has happened is that with the evolution of GAA into professional training, proffessional ticket prices, proffessional Jerseys and professional media coverage. We expect more from our plays and we feel we can treat them like professionals in assassinating their character, their appearance and their football skills.

As for people having Blonde highlights, white boots, tattoos, ear rings, beards, fake tans, shaved legs, thats their own business, Jez were not in 50's Catholic Ireland anymore. Which reminds me does anybody remember the unfortunate half time analysis of the Connacht final in 2006 by Brolly and O'Rourke on Ciaran Mac and Mortimer calling them Sweedish maids, boy did they end up with egg on face!

Donnellys Hollow

Brolly seems to go out of his way to be quite nasty in his analysis of certain individuals. Absolutely no need for it considering these boys are all amateurs and give thousands of people great enjoyment. Spillane can be quite tiresome but at least he tries to be constructive in his criticism, not that he achieves it very often. He rarely cuts as close to the bone as Brolly does. O'Rourke is the best of the RTÉ lads by a country mile. The likes of McStay, Carney and Davis are all fairly harmless. Someone needs to tell Brolly to tone it down a bit though.

Ó Sé's column is usually great reading on a Wednesday. The GAA coverage in the Examiner on Saturdays and Mondays is excellent. I rarely buy any national rags during the week anymore but would buy the few local papers most weeks. Breheny and McGee have been trotting out the same old guff in the Indo for years.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

orangeman

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2012, 03:32:08 PM

go on the joe

Had a read of this yesterday and initially thought, yeah way to go Joe. But after a bit of thought, a bit of sense hit in. Gaelic Footballers are amateurs. They do not get paid and give their free time. Some get sorted as Brolly digs at in his column about Parnells giving Mortimer a Job in their Gym, i see nothing wrong with this. It a sort of scratch back thing.

Anyway, he has picked on three so called culprits, Conor Mortimer, Seanie Johnson and Paddy Bradley. He tries to put all three under the Prima Donna heading. I find these sort of character assassination uncomfortable. From my own personal point of view i was disappointed with Conor Mortimers resignation from the Mayo squad. He had let himself and the squad down. But nobody died, nobody was seriously injured, he did not stop anybody else from playing, he had no contract.

Seanie Johnson's case is also a mess. But with all the media attention you'd swear he was the first player to cross over and play for another county.

Paddy Bradley, what's that all about? Looking from a distance, Paddy seem to give 100% to the Derry cause, bar injury he there year in year out.

You see what has happened is that with the evolution of GAA into professional training, proffessional ticket prices, proffessional Jerseys and professional media coverage. We expect more from our plays and we feel we can treat them like professionals in assassinating their character, their appearance and their football skills.

As for people having Blonde highlights, white boots, tattoos, ear rings, beards, fake tans, shaved legs, thats their own business, Jez were not in 50's Catholic Ireland anymore. Which reminds me does anybody remember the unfortunate half time analysis of the Connacht final in 2006 by Brolly and O'Rourke on Ciaran Mac and Mortimer calling them Sweedish maids, boy did they end up with egg on face!

Swiss maids ?.

Swedish maids are rough hallions.

From the Bunker

Quote from: orangeman on July 19, 2012, 03:44:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2012, 03:32:08 PM

go on the joe

Swiss maids ?.

Swedish maids are rough hallions.

;D