The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on January 23, 2017, 07:13:04 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 23, 2017, 06:56:10 PM
Markovic gone on loan to Hull. I thought he was already on loan somewhere! had forgotten about him if I'm honest.

Sporting wasn't it or Porto? Obviously didn't work out. Hopefully he has a blinder for Hull so we can recoup some of the 20 mil we paid for him
Can only remember him having one decent game away to Sunderland. Doesn't look like he has a future at Anfield.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2017, 09:04:29 AM
Quote from: laoislad on January 23, 2017, 07:14:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 23, 2017, 03:48:20 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2017, 02:26:15 PM
Speed read the last few pages (which is easier when you have the male horse on ignore) but must have missed the criticism of Klopp for abandoning Liverpool's traditions by bringing on Matip up front and going long ball. Like with referees, all we want is consistency!

He literally did it for about 2 minutes in a desperate situation. Not like he does it regularly or for any sustained length.

Plus, it salvaged points last year against Arsenal and Norwich when similarly employed.
I'm pretty sure seanie knows the difference between throwing a big lad up front in the 92nd minute compared to playing a long ball tactics for 45mins!

I do. Do you understand the difference between someone coming on in the 76th minute and at half time?

Uniteds long ball tactics didnt start when Fellani came on, they were tossing it up to Ibra long before that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

magpie seanie

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 24, 2017, 11:35:31 AM
Speed read the last few pages (which is easier when you have the male horse on ignore) but must have missed the criticism of Klopp for abandoning Liverpool's traditions by bringing on Matip up front and going long ball. Like with referees, all we want is consistency!

He literally did it for about 2 minutes in a desperate situation. Not like he does it regularly or for any sustained length.

Plus, it salvaged points last year against Arsenal and Norwich when similarly employed.
I'm pretty sure seanie knows the difference between throwing a big lad up front in the 92nd minute compared to playing a long ball tactics for 45mins!

I do. Do you understand the difference between someone coming on in the 76th minute and at half time?

Uniteds long ball tactics didnt start when Fellani came on, they were tossing it up to Ibra long before that.

I don't think you're correct and the statistics of the game shown by Sky afterwards back me up (i.e. Liverpool played 19 long balls, United played 20).

The Stallion

The long ball statistics are a dull irrelevance. The facts are United were the better side regardless of how each team played.

I'm not a fan of Mourinho's style of football, but you can see he is improving Utd considerably as the season progresses. Klopp meanwhile looks tactically lacking, and clearly has not managed to implement any sort of functioning defensive gameplan. Even when winning games they are often being torn apart at the back.

Link

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2017, 11:44:04 AM

I don't think you're correct and the statistics of the game shown by Sky afterwards back me up (i.e. Liverpool played 19 long balls, United played 20).

incorrect.

liverpool played 19% long balls, united 20% long balls.
however united had more total passes 491 to liverpool's 404.

not as simple as you have stated so in this case they don't back you up.

if using stats, use them correctly.

Maroon Manc

Prior to last weekends fixtures Liverpool had played more long balls through the season than United.

United have played the fourth fewest - 1,346 in total, during their 21 Premier League fixtures. Liverpool are 12th in the table, having launched 1,417

United used a tactics because Mourinho saw a weakness in the Liverpool defence and had 2 players who could execute it. I'm sure if Klopp had inherited a player like Fellaini he would have used him in a similar manner throughout the season.

JoG2

men, stats can be used any which way. Long balls can be up the channel or cross field to an onrushing wing back etc etc. The long ball in Utd's case is into the mixer, on top of the big man in the box. I've no issue with this being used from time to time when needs must. God knows big Jack gave me some of my best memories using this tactic (successfully!)! Ole Ole Ole Ole !

laoislad

Quote from: JoG2 on January 24, 2017, 01:56:36 PM
men, stats can be used any which way. Long balls can be up the channel or cross field to an onrushing wing back etc etc. The long ball in Utd's case is into the mixer, on top of the big man in the box. I've no issue with this being used from time to time when needs must. God knows big Jack gave me some of my best memories using this tactic (successfully!)! Ole Ole Ole Ole !
Me neither,united fans seem to be very sensitive about it though!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Link on January 24, 2017, 01:14:26 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2017, 11:44:04 AM

incorrect.

liverpool played 19% long balls, united 20% long balls.
however united had more total passes 491 to liverpool's 404.

not as simple as you have stated so in this case they don't back you up.

if using stats, use them correctly.

I apologise for the error.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on January 24, 2017, 02:00:59 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 24, 2017, 01:56:36 PM
Me neither,united fans seem to be very sensitive about it though!

With respect Laoislad it was Liverpool supporters who couldn't stop going on about it last week. I was merely resurrecting the issue as there didn't seem to be the same opposition to it this week on here.

Gabriel_Hurl

How many games unbeaten and still in 6th?

And they are worrying about how Liverpool play?

The Stallion

Im worrying about how Liverpool play too, performances have been generally poor under Klopp.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 24, 2017, 02:59:21 PM
How many games unbeaten and still in 6th?

And they are worrying about how Liverpool play?

17 games unbeaten. Still 6th due to worst start since the introduction of the back pass rule or when. I'm very hopeful United will finish higher than 6th though.

Not worried and if anything I've been quite complimentary. Their pressing is unbelievable for its intensity and in Coutinho especially they have a magician.

laoislad

Coutinho signs a new deal...he'll be gone in the summer so.

The Stallion

Coutinho is too good to be at Liverpool, and with an inept manager he'd be crazy not to move to a good side.