The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

who knows at this point - all speculaiton
would McGregor really just tweet his retirement? no press conference? no fanfare?
who knows where his head is at..... he just witness a man dying in the cage.... he was in portugal training - then went to iceland to train... and then this... 
I seen some suggestions its a response to a fall out with uncle dana.... who knows
as a famous armagh man said many times......

TWT
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Aaron Boone

He's going back to finish his plumbing apprenticeship so he has a trade to fall back on.

armaghniac

Once Brolly condemned the whole thing, what could he do?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ashman

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: The Iceman on April 19, 2016, 10:44:11 PM
who knows at this point - all speculaiton
would McGregor really just tweet his retirement? no press conference? no fanfare?
who knows where his head is at..... he just witness a man dying in the cage.... he was in portugal training - then went to iceland to train... and then this... 
I seen some suggestions its a response to a fall out with uncle dana.... who knows
as a famous armagh man said many times......

TWT

Dana just said on ESPN he was unwilling to fly to Vegas and take part in press conferences promoting UFC 200

Gabriel_Hurl

So is he testing Dana or what?

GJL

All about getting every last $$$ he can. He will fight again no doubt.

BennyHarp

Reading on Twitter that McGregor and Diaz not happy that George St Peirre's is touted as being lined up to trump them for headline at UFC200 with a title fight v Lawlor. How likely is that scenario?
That was never a square ball!!

Hound

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 20, 2016, 09:11:09 AM
Reading on Twitter that McGregor and Diaz not happy that George St Peirre's is touted as being lined up to trump them for headline at UFC200 with a title fight v Lawlor. How likely is that scenario?
My hypothetical is they are somehow trying to reverse engineer into a McGregor v GSP fight.
McGregor out. GSP in for new co-main event. GSP's opponent out. McGregor back in.
Maybe a bit far fetched even for UFC!

AZOffaly

OR maybe he just wants to go to WWE and make a pile of money doing a lot less dangerous stuff.

Under Lights

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2016, 09:47:49 AM
OR maybe he just wants to go to WWE and make a pile of money doing a lot less dangerous stuff.

He would be too wee and light for WWE would he not?

gallsman

Quote from: Hound on April 20, 2016, 09:40:36 AM
My hypothetical is they are somehow trying to reverse engineer into a McGregor v GSP fight.
McGregor out. GSP in for new co-main event. GSP's opponent out. McGregor back in.

I said at the time and I still fully believe that GSP was not at 196 by coincidence. If McGregor won that, I think they'd have tried to use it to present him as a "legitimate" welterweight (even though Diaz is a blown up lightweight) and justify a fight with GSP. Robbie Lawler is fantastic but he doesn't have the aura around him that GSP does. McGregor-GSP would have trumped either of Lawler-GSP or Lawler-McGregor in terms of interest and PPV revenue.

UFC 200 is a complete f**king mess at the minute and if they still want it to be their "biggest event ever", they need some superstars at it. GSP's return would fit that and a title fight (GSP could reasonably expect to be the number one contender if he came back) would improve the current card massively.

On a separate note, if McGregor-GSP was actuallt on the cards, it would be one of the most ridiculous things they've ever done. McGregor would get absolutely mauled.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on April 20, 2016, 11:58:00 AM
Quote from: Hound on April 20, 2016, 09:40:36 AM

I said at the time and I still fully believe that GSP was not at 196 by coincidence. If McGregor won that, I think they'd have tried to use it to present him as a "legitimate" welterweight (even though Diaz is a blown up lightweight) and justify a fight with GSP. Robbie Lawler is fantastic but he doesn't have the aura around him that GSP does. McGregor-GSP would have trumped either of Lawler-GSP or Lawler-McGregor in terms of interest and PPV revenue.

UFC 200 is a complete f**king mess at the minute and if they still want it to be their "biggest event ever", they need some superstars at it. GSP's return would fit that and a title fight (GSP could reasonably expect to be the number one contender if he came back) would improve the current card massively.

On a separate note, if McGregor-GSP was actuallt on the cards, it would be one of the most ridiculous things they've ever done. McGregor would get absolutely mauled.

GSP is a horrible matchup for CMG especially given his grappling ability and weight -the man walks about near 200lbs

The way to save the card I think is throw RDA in there for a 155 title fight with Nate Diaz and headline with Nick Diaz vrs GSP for fun or Lawler v GSP for the title
GSP is in camp now - he says it's a test but it can turn real very quickly.... Nate does not want to fight GSP - he is loyal to his brother and 170 is his division.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Nick's suspension isn't up until August I believe.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on April 20, 2016, 04:52:29 PM
Nick's suspension isn't up until August I believe.
Good call.... still can't see Nate taking the GSP fight.... I'd say two title fights will save the card 155 and 170