The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

You're right , he can behave how he sees fit but that doesn't mean i have to respect him and it doesn't mean im a begrudger if i don't respect him. In this particular case there are far more bandwagon jumping gobshites who never seen a UFC fight before him and haven't a clue about the sport or the fighters than there are begrudgers.
And while you may be able to see past his persona there are plenty of these gobshites who think this is who he is and what the UFC is. Its not the f**king WWF/WWE!

Syferus

Quote from: ludermor on July 02, 2015, 02:10:43 PM
You're right , he can behave how he sees fit but that doesn't mean i have to respect him and it doesn't mean im a begrudger if i don't respect him. In this particular case there are far more bandwagon jumping gobshites who never seen a UFC fight before him and haven't a clue about the sport or the fighters than there are begrudgers.
And while you may be able to see past his persona there are plenty of these gobshites who think this is who he is and what the UFC is. Its not the f**king WWF/WWE!

UFC is heavily influenced by pro wrestling.

JoG2

McGregor has acted like a tube (maybe he is a tube in real life, maybe a sweetheart, I wouldn't have a notion) to help promote the fight. But, his complete lack of respect for Aldo was very ott at times. But its all about the money, right?? the money baby, loads a money ! em em, smell that lovely money. Regarding the comparison with Ali. Ali was witty were McGregor is embarrassing.

I enjoyed thejournal.ie the other day saying Aldo's injury was 'merely bruised ribs'...Id say the journalist has never had a knee or foot to the rig cage.

DennistheMenace

Ali might have been witty but he was a nasty piece of work too.

Also Aldo hasn't exactly been too complementary (understandably maybe) about Ireland or the Irish.

JoG2

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 02, 2015, 03:08:37 PM
Ali might have been witty but he was a nasty piece of work too.

Also Aldo hasn't exactly been too complementary (understandably maybe) about Ireland or the Irish.

opinion mostly based on McGregor, his drunken entourage and facebook warriors ! Wouldn't blame the man

The Iceman

McGregor in front of the camera is a persona. An act to draw attention, good or bad, to get people to buy PPVs and attend fights live. He is a prizefighter - all about the gold and he has gathering a tremendous amount of it in a very short period of time. He genuinely is not like that in person. He's always had a mouth when it came to other fighters but he is very civil in person.
I personally enjoy it all. I cringe sometimes at what he says but so far he has backed it all up.  There's no denying he is an exceptional athlete who is committed 100% to his trade - I tip my hat to any athlete for their dedication.
On the world stage he has raised the profile of Ireland and Irish MMA in particular.

Part of my theory on a lot of the hated for McGregor at home in Ireland is typical Irish begrudgery. Like Sean Quinn was a rogue and a cheat when he had millions he was a victim who people were raising money for when he was on his knees.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DennistheMenace

I think you'll either loathe him for his this persona he puts on but people actually believe that is the way he normally is which is complete rubbish. It's a mask to make money and PPV sales. Irish people are general probably aren't comfortable and far prefer an introverted personality or someone humble like Katie Taylor.

gallsman

I think that's part of it, but KT is a five time world champion and an Olympic champion to boot. McGregor has been handpicked by Dana and parachuted into a title fight before his turn, yet acts as if he's already the champion. Nothing wrong with a wee bit of humility.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 08:39:05 AM
I think that's part of it, but KT is a five time world champion and an Olympic champion to boot. McGregor has been handpicked by Dana and parachuted into a title fight before his turn, yet acts as if he's already the champion. Nothing wing with a wee bit of humility.

And the otherside of the coin is women's boxing is poor and it would be much easier to get to the top of your weight class than the top of the UFC weight class. In my opinion of course. Again nothing wrong with humility but it doesn't sell.

MoChara

Quote from: ludermor on July 02, 2015, 02:10:43 PM

This is exactly what hes there to do, bring people in that don't normally watch UFC

gallsman

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 03, 2015, 08:43:39 AM
I think that's part of it, but KT is a five time world champion and an Olympic champion to boot. McGregor has been handpicked by Dana and parachuted into a title fight before his turn, yet acts as if he's already the champion. Nothing wing with a wee bit of humility.

And the otherside of the coin is women's boxing is poor and it would be much easier to get to the top of your weight class than the top of the UFC weight class. In my opinion of course. Again nothing wrong with humility but it doesn't sell.

It's all relative. You say women's boxing is poor, but KT is at the very top of it and had worked her arse off just as much and possibly more than McGregor to get to where she is in her sport. She had earned the respect she doesn't demand. McGregor demands respect and recognition that he has not yet earned. Like yourself, that's also just my opinion.

There's plenty of shite MMA too by the way. Much of it UFC.

DennistheMenace

I wouldn't disagree with you there, and the very fact McGregor has been fast tracked shows that he is right to be mouthing as publicity stunts, some cringe worthy and more akin to wrestling but effective brining a new audience nonetheless. It would however be easier for a woman to get to their respective boxing weight than a man in his UFC equivalent - Obviously McGregor isn't at the top, yet but he is a supreme athlete in a growing sport/business and the UFC and Dana have struck gold with him.

gallsman

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 03, 2015, 09:05:40 AM
I wouldn't disagree with you there, and the very fact McGregor has been fast tracked shows that he is right to be mouthing as publicity stunts, some cringe worthy and more akin to wrestling but effective brining a new audience nonetheless. It would however be easier for a woman to get to their respective boxing weight than a man in his UFC equivalent - Obviously McGregor isn't at the top, yet but he is a supreme athlete in a growing sport/business and the UFC and Dana have struck gold with him.

True.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens if he loses. A lot of people aren't on the bandwagon yet and if Dana continues to push him after a loss in his first big fight and treat him like the golden goose ahead of more deserving fighters there'll be uproar.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 09:01:22 AM

It's all relative. You say women's boxing is poor, but KT is at the very top of it and had worked her arse off just as much and possibly more than McGregor to get to where she is in her sport. She had earned the respect she doesn't demand. McGregor demands respect and recognition that he has not yet earned. Like yourself, that's also just my opinion.

KT is only at the top of amateur boxing.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DennistheMenace

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 03, 2015, 09:09:30 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 09:01:22 AM

KT is only at the top of amateur boxing.

It was a comparison on personality traits more than anything, not sure if there is much of a market for Women's professional boxing anyway. I actually think boxing could learn a thing or two from UFC in promotion and but the corrpution and multiple organisations makes it impossible to make proper inroads. The UFC were the big winner in the Mayweather v Pacman fight.