The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 29, 2015, 04:52:41 AM
JBJ suspended indefinitely and stripped of the title.

Dan Cormier vs Anthony Johnson for the title at UFC 187

Fair play. Genuinely didn't think their have the balls to do it.

Gabriel_Hurl

he lost his Reebok deal as well

The Iceman

definitely the right call and a bold move by the UFC which I didnt expect them to have the balls to do given the money his next fight would have generated....

hope he gets help and comes back stronger - he is one of the most athletically gifted fighters I've ever seen and deserves to come back - would be a waste if he goes to jail, becomes muslim, gets a face tattoo and appears in the hangover part 6
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on April 29, 2015, 09:34:54 PM
definitely the right call and a bold move by the UFC which I didnt expect them to have the balls to do given the money his next fight would have generated....

hope he gets help and comes back stronger - he is one of the most athletically gifted fighters I've ever seen and deserves to come back - would be a waste if he goes to jail, becomes muslim, gets a face tattoo and appears in the hangover part 6

I know what you're getting at but what does he "deserve"? Right now he deserves absolutely nothing.

The Iceman

The heavweight strap changed hands at the weekend. Doesn't happen too often. If you get a chance try to watch Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Verdum go toe to toe for 3 rounds.
Also on the undercard a great scrap between Yair Rodriguez and Charles Rosa. It would make a new fan of the sport out of anyone!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Lads I've tried to watch some of this, but I genuinely can't stomach it as a sport. When two lads are rolling on the ground trying to elbow each other in the face, or knee a lad in the jaw, it just looks like a scrap outside a pub at 2am.

I understand the technical elements, but how can such a blood sport be classified as a sport really?

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2015, 03:45:46 PM
Lads I've tried to watch some of this, but I genuinely can't stomach it as a sport. When two lads are rolling on the ground trying to elbow each other in the face, or knee a lad in the jaw, it just looks like a scrap outside a pub at 2am.

I understand the technical elements, but how can such a blood sport be classified as a sport really?
Technically you can't knee anyone to the face while 3 of their limbs are touching the ground..... Knees to the face, like in thai boxing are only legal while standing up.
Its the ultimate test, the ultimate sport AZ. One man versus one man, under controlled conditions, to see who is the best.
Combat sports are not for everyone....

AZOffaly

That's alright then. I can only knee you in the face if I hold your head down and you are on your feet :)

I don't think it's the ultimate sport. I think it's basically street fighting with a bit of glamour. Boxing is, to me, far cleaner and more like a sport.

What's the actual rules re striking areas etc? Can you kick a lad in the balls? Can you strike a lad's neck, or his throat?

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2015, 04:05:37 PM
That's alright then. I can only knee you in the face if I hold your head down and you are on your feet :)

I don't think it's the ultimate sport. I think it's basically street fighting with a bit of glamour. Boxing is, to me, far cleaner and more like a sport.

What's the actual rules re striking areas etc? Can you kick a lad in the balls? Can you strike a lad's neck, or his throat?
No strikes to the groin, the throat, no eye gouging, no fish hooking, no downward elbows, no head butting, no biting.

Boxing is a great sport - but it only determines who is the best using only their hands. Thai boxing is a great sport but it only determines who is the best using hands, legs, elbows and knees. Grappling and Olympic wrestling is a great sport but it only determines who is the best grappler. MMA is all of these and more....

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 15, 2015, 04:00:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2015, 03:45:46 PM

Technically you can't knee anyone to the face while 3 of their limbs are touching the ground..... Knees to the face, like in thai boxing are only legal while standing up.
Its the ultimate test, the ultimate sport AZ. One man versus one man, under controlled conditions, to see who is the best.
Combat sports are not for everyone....

Em Iceman...... :D

Wasn't your recent objection to sodomy singularly on the grounds that it could do damage?
MWWSI 2017

CitySlicker11

Have you any links for the fights on Saturday past?

The Iceman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTR7sUdhReE
thats the Rodriguez Rosa full fight. Some other highlights on the side. Google would be your best bet for the rest lad. I only had that one as I sent it to my Da.

Gabriel_Hurl

Aldo/McGregor could be off - Aldo fractured a rib this morning in practice

The Iceman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 23, 2015, 08:54:23 PM
Aldo/McGregor could be off - Aldo fractured a rib this morning in practice

Few different scenarios here Gabe:

Aldo is not hurt and will fight and wants CMG to focus on his ribs - thus drawing him into something Aldo is drilling to defend. Make him think you're weak when you're strong.

The gate is too large and the blow-back too severe for Dana to take CMG off of the card. If he gives him an interim title shot CMG wont care who it is - he gets paid win or lose and I think the gold coin is more his concern. But I think Dana doesnt want CMG to lose - so feeding him someone like Max Halloway who is on a winning streak might be an option. Edgar would run through CMG, as would Mendes. I think Dana doesn't risk a wrestler...

either way the irish get to see their man - and 3 other irish guys on the card, Dana saves face and CMG gets paid.

gallsman

McGregor already dominated Holloway with one leg. Making that fight again would be outrageous.