The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Main Card (FOX Sports 1)
Conor McGregor ($85,000 + $85,000 = $170,000) def. Dennis Siver ($39,000)

Where does the rest of his earnings from the fight come from to make up a Million?

screenexile

Talk about absolutely nailing it. . . this is excellent!

Quotehttp://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/04/01/conor-mcgregor-burns-down-jose-aldos-house-as-mind-games-continue/

Conor McGregor Burns Down Jose Aldo's House As Mind Games Continue

CONOR MCGREGOR stepped up his mind games with upcoming opponent Jose Aldo as their UFC press tour rolled into Dublin yesterday.

After McGregor whipped his expectant audience into a frenzy as he took to the stage shared with defending champion Aldo and head of the UFC Dana White, he motioned to someone to 'press play'.

Knowing Aldo was going to be in Dublin for yesterday's press conference, the video shown at the press conference revealed McGregor had taken the red eye to Rio late Monday night and burned down Aldo's house with his wife and daughter still in it.

"I will consume you like the affordable biscuit you are," McGregor said as he jumped on the table, then taking the time to produce a picture of Aldo's wife and subsequently urinating on it. This was disrupted however by an over eager fan who attempted to get McGregor to urinate on him.

Laughing maniacally at this point to raucous applause and chants, McGregor added "she's dead Jose, upon your return to your flavela a beaten man, you will sleep alone like some sort of unlovable cucumber that cannot find itself a suitable salad".

While the murder of Aldo's wife and child certainly heightens the tension around the fight, many have speculated that McGregor may now be edging the mind games.

"Ha ha, what will he do next? You just don't know with this guy, he's all class. He has the warrior spirit and I think this has frightened Aldo and rattled him," explained UFC expert Josh Pleasant.

McGregor fans in crowd added to the tension as they bellowed chants of 'your family's dead' resulting in Aldo breaking down in tears.
Our sources confirm Aldo will still fight McGregor but has taken several days off from training in order to bury and mourn his family.

"What can I say, Conor is box office baby," explained Dana White as he shrugged off questions about McGregor's actions.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteHe said he'll make upwards of $7million for this fight.

The important part

gallsman

That's the best WWN I've seen in ages!

The Iceman

Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 01, 2015, 11:11:56 AM
Main Card (FOX Sports 1)

Where does the rest of his earnings from the fight come from to make up a Million?
those are the declared payouts from a private company. all the fighters will hint at earning much more, especially the "needle movers", Remember Conor has a Reebok sponsorship - one of only 6 UFC fighters to have. He also has a load of other sponsors. When asked about the Aldo fight (where he says he will earn $7million) he said it will be more than triple what he earned for the Siver fight. Not hard to do the Math and conservatively say he earned a million.....
It doesn't matter either way - the man is minted and making a great life for himself
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

McGregor is making himself, Aldo and White a lot money. That makes everyone forgive a lot. Can't say it hasn't worked, I'm certainly looking forward to the fight. If McGregor wins he'll be cemented as one of the biggest stars the UFC has ever seen. Love, love, love fighters with personality, be it boxing, MMA or even wrestling. Doesn't matter if they play the hero or villain.

When you have skill and personality together in one package that's when great fights happen.

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on April 01, 2015, 03:44:47 PM
Main Card (FOX Sports 1)

those are the declared payouts from a private company. all the fighters will hint at earning much more, especially the "needle movers", Remember Conor has a Reebok sponsorship - one of only 6 UFC fighters to have. He also has a load of other sponsors. When asked about the Aldo fight (where he says he will earn $7million) he said it will be more than triple what he earned for the Siver fight. Not hard to do the Math and conservatively say he earned a million.....
It doesn't matter either way - the man is minted and making a great life for himself

Well no, it matters a lot. One figure is his income, the rest is ancillary income. Whatever he makes off the back of sponsorships or endorsements, he's made through his mouth and his personality - he doesn't make it "from the fight". Even if using your bizarre logic, I'm not sure how 3 x "conservatively more than $1m" = $7m. When you say he has "loads of other sponsors", these are not sponsors to tune of millions of dollars a year, much like I suspect Reebok is not, although it will obviously still be significant. Nike don't appear to think UFC is the opportunity they once did, having walked away from their Jones contract. You think Dethrone (probably his second most prominent sponsor?) could pay anything resembling the figures you're suggesting?

Despite what Conor McGregor might want you to believe, he does not make anything resembling Floyd Mayweather money. Or Carl Froch money. Or even Amir Khan money. If you believe he is going to get paid $7m for this fight, you are delusional. McGregor has fought nobody even close to Aldo's level. For him to earn $7m when you have Jon Jones (fighting, and beating, everyone they put in front of him) earning half a million or less would be absolute madness.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on April 01, 2015, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 01, 2015, 03:44:47 PM
Main Card (FOX Sports 1)

Well no, it matters a lot. One figure is his income, the rest is ancillary income. Whatever he makes off the back of sponsorships or endorsements, he's made through his mouth and his personality - he doesn't make it "from the fight". Even if using your bizarre logic, I'm not sure how 3 x "conservatively more than $1m" = $7m. When you say he has "loads of other sponsors", these are not sponsors to tune of millions of dollars a year, much like I suspect Reebok is not, although it will obviously still be significant. Nike don't appear to think UFC is the opportunity they once did, having walked away from their Jones contract. You think Dethrone (probably his second most prominent sponsor?) could pay anything resembling the figures you're suggesting?

Despite what Conor McGregor might want you to believe, he does not make anything resembling Floyd Mayweather money. Or Carl Froch money. Or even Amir Khan money. If you believe he is going to get paid $7m for this fight, you are delusional. McGregor has fought nobody even close to Aldo's level. For him to earn $7m when you have Jon Jones (fighting, and beating, everyone they put in front of him) earning half a million or less would be absolute madness.

Reebok have an exclusive deal with the UFC. So whether Nike want to or not they are boxed out of sponsoring its fighters in any official capacity.
I don't know why you are getting all twisty because I repeated what CMG said. $7 million for this fight, A third of that for the Siver fight. I was being conservative by saying a million but if it makes you happier $2,333,333....
FMW made $32 million as a purse in his last fight. For the fight with Pacman he'll get a guaranteed purse of $250million with another $50million from the PPV bucket. Thats $300million. McGregor - if he earns $7million is not earning anywhere near $300million or anywhere close to FMW money  - I never suggested he was. Again you're twisting with me for whatever reason you're harboring...

The Mcgreogr Aldo PPV should do 1.3 million buys. McGregor is tied to the PPV buys. If FMW vrs Pacman does 2.4 million buys as expected both fighters pocket $50million each on top of their purses. And the promotions still make money.  I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that McGreogr could make $7million from 1.3 million buys if $50million is available to one half of the fight when the buys are at 2.4 million....

If you want to keep twisting and poking holes in my posts go ahead - knock yourself out - save me the effort :P
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Again your numbers are all over the shop. The numbers you're quoting for Mayweather are for the fight. He is not going to make $300m.

The reason I'm getting "twisty" about this is because ill considered hyperbole makes a complete mockery of things. McGregor is a star and undeniably charismatic but it's people who accept everything he says as gospel that end up carrying on like morons and screaming abuse at his opponents in press conferences.

CiKe

Quote from: gallsman on April 01, 2015, 05:51:25 PM
Again your numbers are all over the shop. The numbers you're quoting for Mayweather are for the fight. He is not going to make $300m.

The reason I'm getting "twisty" about this is because I'll considered hyperbole makes a complete mockery of things. McGregor is a star and undeniably charismatic but it's people who accept everything he says as gospel that end up carrying on like morons and screaming abuse at his opponents in press conferences.

In fairness Iceman hardly comes across like one of those gobshites. You might be guilty of a bit of hyperbole there yourself with those generalizations...

The Iceman

I stand corrected. The shared purse for the fight is $300million with a 60:40 split. So FMW makes $180million just from the fight.
McGregor makes $7million he says. I'd take either money but they are not even close to each other.

There is no denying I like McGregor's skill-set. I like how he shakes things up. I like how he has put Irish MMA on the map at long last. I'm not fond of his insults. I have many friends who still compete and used to compete in Irish MMA and CMG crossed the line numerous times with one of them to which I still take offense. I've never met him in person but I have his autograph from one of the lads at SBG where he trains.

I believe your comments stem from other threads where your knickers are still twisted. I'll leave you to untie them in your own time.

bennydorano

Only recently have taken an interest in this melarkey (mainly due to the Notorious 'documentary' on RTE2), McGregor's defo got a bit of the razzmatazz about him & looks like has the skills to pay the bills, but is Aldo a big step up? I see he is 4/6 fav & mcgregor 6/5, is McGregor going to geta Ricky Hatton / Prince Naseem spanking from a proper World Champion?

The media day in Dublin was a bit mental, but funny.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on April 02, 2015, 11:26:33 PM
Only recently have taken an interest in this melarkey (mainly due to the Notorious 'documentary' on RTE2), McGregor's defo got a bit of the razzmatazz about him & looks like has the skills to pay the bills, but is Aldo a big step up? I see he is 4/6 fav & mcgregor 6/5, is McGregor going to geta Ricky Hatton / Prince Naseem spanking from a proper World Champion?

Aldo is unbeaten in ten years, is the only featherweight champion in UFC history and kicks like an absolute mule. He's beaten every other contender in the division. McGregor has fought nobody that comes remotely close to his level. He can strike and has knockout power in both his fists and his legs and is a black belt in jiu jitsu. McGregor has range and probably speed on him. Very, very difficult to call.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: gallsman on April 03, 2015, 12:04:37 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 02, 2015, 11:26:33 PM

Aldo is unbeaten in ten years, is the only featherweight champion in UFC history and kicks like an absolute mule. He's beaten every other contender in the division. McGregor has fought nobody that comes remotely close to his level. He can strike and has knockout power in both his fists and his legs and is a black belt in jiu jitsu. McGregor has range and probably speed on him. Very, very difficult to call.

McGregor reminds me of Fergus out of Braveheart.
There's a madness in his eyes, especially off camera - all form and statistics point to Aldo, but it is that look that McGregor sometimes gives that makes me think he has more than a chance.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

stew

Aldo is going to wipe the floor with him,  he is way better than anyone McGregor has faced and I think he is going to wipe the floor with McGregor!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.