The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Anyone else find McGregor to be a mouthy little ****? I mean do the people who think McIlroy is a smug p***k not think McGregor takes it to a level further again?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

gallsman

Quote from: trileacman on January 17, 2015, 01:24:09 AM
Anyone else find McGregor to be a mouthy little ****? I mean do the people who think McIlroy is a smug p***k not think McGregor takes it to a level further again?

Agreed. He's a gobshite who gets on like he's Mayweather with. His shtick is lapped up by the American crowds too. Like all UFC stars save the very, very best, he's completely dependent on Dana - it's the company who makes the really big bucks.

Syferus

Dana's going to end up pretty dependant on McGregor if his popularity keeps growing at this rate.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on January 17, 2015, 01:59:43 AM
Dana's going to end up pretty dependant on McGregor if his popularity keeps growing at this rate.

I don't buy that. For all the unfounded nonsense about "fastest growing sport in the world", PPV rates are down just like in boxing (no idea how Jones-DC went in terms of buys but fight was shit). One loss (I think Aldo and a few others would annihilate him) will kill the novelty stateside.

Gabriel_Hurl

UFC are the victims of their own success. They signed that deal with FOX and as a result - there's way too many shows per year now - diluting the "big time" feel of events.

Injuries to their main fighters haven't helped either.

The signing of Phil Brooks (CM Punk) to the organization reeks of desperation.

gallsman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 17, 2015, 03:26:53 PM
UFC are the victims of their own success. They signed that deal with FOX and as a result - there's way too many shows per year now - diluting the "big time" feel of events.

Injuries to their main fighters haven't helped either.

The signing of Phil Brooks (CM Punk) to the organization reeks of desperation.

Definitely an overload. Jones-DC was originally meant to have a Rousey fight on the undercard. Rousey is more than capable of headlining on her own so they moved her and didn't bother trying to repaved it with another title fight.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: trileacman on January 17, 2015, 01:24:09 AM

All part of the show don't you think? Don't think he would be as popular if he wasn't as brash or even as good a fighter if you took it away.  I actually don't mind it when it comes to fighters, surely some need this to get over fear.

Gabriel_Hurl

How does having a big mouth make you a better fighter?

RealSpiritof98

MMA athletes are unreal specimens? Yes
Do I admire them? Yes
Is UFC the pinnacle of their Sport? Yes
Do they promote top notch fighters? Yes
Would they rather a premium ticket sales fight than the a fight between the best fighters? Yes
Is ther real fights in UFC? yes 99%
Are they a professional based money making machine? Yes
Is making money on the product the be all/end all? Yes
Has that produced the modern day WWE? Story lines? Charismatic Personalities? YES
Did McGregors last opponent take a fall? Absolutely
Is this because there is a multi-million dolla year and 2 Croker fights in the man? yes
Do I blame Dana White for pursuing this? No
Will I have the Green goggles on tomorrow night watch McGregor? Yes (free stream tho -tight ass like me)

I love watching it but i know the background of the sport, just like the dawning of pro-wrestling in US spawning from Carnival fights the UFC has morphed into something similar where money making on audiences has become the key reason for any fight. This has led to the McGregors of the world getting fast-tracked to the top. Chael Sonnen was never the best fighter but he got the big fights because of his mouth and sold lots of PPVs.

BenDover

Save me the googling what time is that at?

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 17, 2015, 07:44:45 PM
How does having a big mouth make you a better fighter?

If he wasn't as cocky he wouldn't have the same confidence surely, maybe I'm wrong. Thats the way i see it.

GJL

f**k it I like him. You have to take it for what it is, it is all a big show with some right brutal fighting. I enjoy it and if it comes to Dublin I'll go and watch the 'show'. 👊

RealSpiritof98

I take it all back, Conor's a nice skin, lets go!!!

Syferus

Seems like McGregor has huge support in the crowd, even in Vegas. Hopefully he does the job tonight because win or lose everyone wants to see him fight Aldo.

RealSpiritof98