Leinster Minor Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, April 18, 2019, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois Rising

I feel some posters are being too hard on Donnacha. After last year he identified a need to have the the under 16s train alongside minor panel to give them extra experience and become familiar with the set-up and hopefully raise their standards. This year he has implemented that change. It will take until next year for those U16s to come through to minor and hopefully the experience of this year will prove beneficial.

I do accept that the performance during the week was poor. Perhaps after Knockbeg's successful run and the feel good mentality that has seeped back into Laois football that the Laois team on the night didn't show Carlow the respect they deserved and took victory for granted. Carlow could have been out of sight at half time. Credit though to the players for showing resilience in the closing stages of the game to battle back for a draw. Good lesson to learn early in the group stages. Hopefully they can kick on in their next two games. By looks of it there will be little to separate the four teams.

Butch Cassidy

Last year I thought the big difference between Laois and Meath was the speed and size of the Meath team compared Laois, they were on a different level. What is the team like this year? Have they natural speed in the team and a big spine?

GAA-SMART

Heard the U14s lost both games to Offaly and the U15s won both games against Cavan at the weekend. Anyone at either?

Jd

Was at u14s Laois split their teams  evenly and Offaly stacked theirs.  both Laois teams won one match easily and got beaten in the other. Some nice talent there with a chap from Camross and a lad from Rosenallis being two good performers. Laois had about 35 players while Offaly had near 50 and towards the end the Laois chaps were bet after 80 mins of football. Not a bad bunch of players

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Jd on April 29, 2019, 01:36:32 PM
Was at u14s Laois split their teams  evenly and Offaly stacked theirs.  both Laois teams won one match easily and got beaten in the other. Some nice talent there with a chap from Camross and a lad from Rosenallis being two good performers. Laois had about 35 players while Offaly had near 50 and towards the end the Laois chaps were bet after 80 mins of football. Not a bad bunch of players

Sounds positive enough !

Unlaoised

Wasn't there but heard Laois were very impressive v Cavan

LAOIS ABÚ

Chrimtain

Saw Laois under 16s beat Louth on Saturday in portarlington. I was told they also beat limerick earlier on in the morning. Not sure how strong each team were, but I suppose a win is a win.

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 29, 2019, 06:51:25 PM
Wasn't there but heard Laois were very impressive v Cavan

Was at training last night, one of the lads sons is on the panel, said they were excellent against Cavan bar the first 10 minutes or so where they were on top but missed alot of goal chances. 6-11 to 2-9 he had it. Cavan were handy enough in the first half but the match ups were got right in the second half and Laois kicked on. Said new management took it over this year and seems to be going well. They have Offaly next.

Good win for the 16s, its a hard year when you miss your top players to Minor. Its good for that group to keep playing well for when they turn next year.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Changes for Laois minor footballers ahead of crucial Westmeath clash
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/05/06/changes-for-laois-minor-footballers-ahead-of-crucial-westmeath-clash/

Laois v Westmeath 
Wed 08/05/2019 @ O'Moore Park

Michael O'Connell (Portlaoise)

Orrie Doran (Killeshin)  Sean Greene (Emo) Jamie Kelly (St Joseph's)
Simon Fingleton (Park-Ratheniska) Eddie Critchley (Portlaoise)  Mark Kehoe (Spink)

Kevin Swayne (Portlaoise), Ben Brennan (Portlaoise)

PJ Ward (Portarlington)  Rioghan Murphy (Portarlington)  Oisin Hooney (St Joseph's)
Colin Dunne (Arles-Killeen)  Conor Goode (Stradbally)  Brian Whelan (Ballyroan-Abbey)

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Chrimtain

Great come back from Laois tonight! Well done to all concerned.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

This is the week of great comebacks, champions league, minor football..   What next .??    :-*
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

GAA-SMART

Excellent result- showed serious resolve and character. Well done to Players / Managament, now a showdown with Longford?

Countyminor

Possibly the strangest game of football I've seen in a while. Takes some going to come back from a dreadful start like that. Not entirely sure how they won but a win is a win!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Countyminor on May 09, 2019, 11:38:50 AM
Possibly the strangest game of football I've seen in a while. Takes some going to come back from a dreadful start like that. Not entirely sure how they won but a win is a win!

Did a few prospects stand out for Laois? They don't seem to be short on character anyway.

SCFC

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 09, 2019, 11:48:56 AM
Quote from: Countyminor on May 09, 2019, 11:38:50 AM

Did a few prospects stand out for Laois? They don't seem to be short on character anyway.
Very balanced team. No real stars. Full back Greene from Emo did well I suppose but the two corner backs struggled.