I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on May 01, 2015, 07:14:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2015, 07:10:30 PM

Take your complaint up with the person (s) who introduced the topic to the discussion then!

OK, person who introduced this topic, please stop now.

;D

The Iceman

I would argue that although Homosexuality appears in nature it doesn't make it natural.
Most if not all animals will also jump on their offspring if they are in heat. Is incest therefore natural?
An old grizzly animal will jump up on a young female in her first season - is pedophilia natural?

We are blurring the lines between normal and natural and evident in nature.....

That's a bit of a risky path to go down.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2015, 08:03:23 PM
I would argue that although Homosexuality appears in nature it doesn't make it natural.
Most if not all animals will also jump on their offspring if they are in heat. Is incest therefore natural?
An old grizzly animal will jump up on a young female in her first season - is pedophilia natural?

If something that occurs in nature is not natural,  then what is?

Natural doesn't mean that human societies need to deem something acceptable,  but it's case by case situation.  Bringing up animal homosexual behaviour refutes the "its unnatural" argument, that's all.

muppet

It was Tony's line to compare with nature and to declare things natural and natural.

It is a complete red herring as murder is 'natural' for example. However we (usually) don't tolerate it in society.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Well some people keep telling me that homosexuality is wrong because it's unnatural. Do you disagree with that argument?

I ask because when you bring up the inconvenient facts about homosexuality in nature, the homophobes have a tendency to wobble between two contradictory arguments, one saying that homosexuality is wrong because it's unnatural, and the other saying that it's wrong because it is natural.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on May 01, 2015, 07:14:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2015, 07:10:30 PM

Take your complaint up with the person (s) who introduced the topic to the discussion then!

OK, person who introduced this topic, please stop now.

Hehe!

The Iceman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 08:33:01 PM

Well some people keep telling me that homosexuality is wrong because it's unnatural. Do you disagree with that argument?

I ask because when you bring up the inconvenient facts about homosexuality in nature, the homophobes have a tendency to wobble between two contradictory arguments, one saying that homosexuality is wrong because it's unnatural, and the other saying that it's wrong because it is natural.
Define natural?
Is it true that in nature that animals and plants sole purpose is to create more?
In order to do that there needs to be a male and a female and according to the discovery channel and My Left Foot, do it for half an hour you get a baby, do it for an hour you get twins. Therefore anything contrary to that purpose would be unnatural? The species would not survive. Reproduction happens between a male and a female.  So in line with that then homosexuality is not natural. Or where do we stand on that?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tubberman

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2015, 08:41:05 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 08:33:01 PM

Define natural?
Is it true that in nature that animals and plants sole purpose is to create more?
In order to do that there needs to be a male and a female and according to the discovery channel and My Left Foot, do it for half an hour you get a baby, do it for an hour you get twins. Therefore anything contrary to that purpose would be unnatural? The species would not survive. Reproduction happens between a male and a female.  So in line with that then homosexuality is not natural. Or where do we stand on that?

Celibacy should also be illegal so?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Eamonnca1

Define natural?

I hope we're not going to get into an endless tennis match of answering every question with a question. The question was about how some people keep telling me that homosexuality is wrong because it's unnatural. Do you disagree with that argument or do you agree with it?

The Iceman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2015, 08:45:44 PM
Define natural?

I hope we're not going to get into an endless tennis match of answering every question with a question. The question was about how some people keep telling me that homosexuality is wrong because it's unnatural. Do you disagree with that argument or do you agree with it?
I agree with it. From a scientific standpoint it is unnatural.
I believe that animals display homosexual behaviour but I don't believe it has been proven that they are in fact homosexual. It seems to be very uncommon that individual animals have a long lasting predisposition to engage in homosexual behaviour. For reasons of survival, the reproductive instinct of animals is normally directed towards members of the opposite sex. Behaviour outside of this is just that - behaviour. Therefore I agree that homosexuality in nature does not exist and is unnatural.
Like Muppet says its a red herring.
We can't read human motivation and sentiment into animal behaviour. The term homosexuality should only be used for humans. In animals we can only observe motor behaviour. When you interpret animal's motivation we apply human psychodynamics which is surely a foolish and risky path....

armaghniac

Quote from: Tubberman on May 01, 2015, 08:42:59 PM

Illegality is not the point here, encouragement is. A society would be unwise to promote celibacy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 01, 2015, 08:59:08 PM

Illegality is not the point here, encouragement is. A society would be unwise to promote celibacy.

Should we allow celibate people marry?
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2015, 09:00:23 PM

Isn't that a definition of marriage sure Muppet at your age?
Married and celibate!!! ;) yooooo

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2015, 09:01:22 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2015, 09:00:23 PM

Isn't that a definition of marriage sure Muppet at your age?
Married and celibate!!! ;) yooooo

F*ck, I have to pretend to be asleep! Why do you think I took up running?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Muppet people are beginning to think you really are a Muppet