107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 30, 2015, 07:49:26 AM
Gawd, homophobes seem to hate being called homophobes even more than free staters hate being called free staters!

Just to be clear, who are you calling homophobe here?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

topcuppla

Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2015, 08:14:08 AM
Gawd, homophobes seem to hate being called homophobes even more than free staters hate being called free staters!

You will find that most play the homophobic card when anyone doesn't openly embrace all things gay, it truly is quite pathetic really.  I bet most defending homosexuality to the max would have a wobble or two if their son / daughter told them they were gay.

annapr

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2015, 07:56:23 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2015, 06:36:01 AM
Er could someone point out where I even tenuously equated gay sex with sex with animals? I used the comparison to show that in future,the way this world is going,it is not entirely inconceivable that bestiality will be defined as a human right and such relationships granted the same status as that of human relationships,on the basis that homosexuality, in the space of my short lifetime has travelled from a status of criminality to marriage endorsement in law.

On a lighter note I struggled to control my urine flow when I saw the Paddy Power billboard ad (featuring two hooded blokes kissing) and the Tiocfaidh Ar La caption,offering odds on the referendum outcome ;D. Not often anyone successfully takes the piss out of Sinn Fein!

Tell me this... Would you be in favour of making homosexuality a crime again? (Yes or no please)
He won't answer you, he never does.

gallsman

Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 08:28:47 AM

You will find that most play the homophobic card when anyone doesn't openly embrace all things gay, it truly is quite pathetic really.  I bet most defending homosexuality to the max would have a wobble or two if their son / daughter told them they were gay.

Yes, that's it. People who criticise those who wish deny equality are the ones with the real issue here.  ::)

macdanger2

Was just reading up there on my own question about what the difference is between marriage and civil partnership. Full details are here:

http://www.marriagequality.ie/getinformed/marriage/faqs.html

It seems like many of the changes are from a financial / legal point of view around property, etc. But it lists what appear to be the three main changes are:

does not permit children to have a legally recognised relationship with their parents - only the biological one. This causes all sorts of practical problems for hundreds of families with schools and hospitals as well as around guardianship, access and custody. In the worst case, it could mean that a child is taken away from a parent and put into care on the death of the biological parent.

• does not recognise same sex couples' rights to many social supports that may be needed in hardship situations and may literally leave a loved one out in the cold.

• defines the home of civil partners as a "shared home", rather than a "family home" , as is the case for married couples. This has implications for the protection of dependent children living in this home and also means a lack of protection for civil partners who are deserted.

And in that, it seems like the first one is probably the most debated.

My reading of it is, that the change will allow gay couples to adopt where currently only one of a gay couple can be the parent while the other essentially has no rights / obligations.

Post updated on foot of armaghniacs response as this issue seems to have been resolved under the Children and Family Relationships Bill:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-approves-bill-allowing-adoption-by-same-sex-couples-1.2106843

At that rate of going, in real terms, the referendum seems to be about very little other than legal & financial issues. Still seems like a no-brainer though

armaghniac

The previous post is written as if the recent adoption act had never been passed, maybe you should extend your reading to that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

annapr

The only reason I would have a wobble is because I'm disgusted there are still people in the world like Fearon and a few others and I'd be worried my kids would be bullied for being perceived different or not normal by a few idiots.
I'd like to know what these people would do if they had a son or daughter whom came to them and told them they were Gay?
I don't expect an answer.

topcuppla

Quote from: gallsman on April 30, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Yes, that's it. People who criticise those who wish deny equality are the ones with the real issue here.  ::)

An emoticon rolling the eyes does not distract from the fact that the gay rights campaigners here would wobble if their child told them they were gay.  It amazes me that a debate on issues concerning homosexuality always pan out the same way - those who say anything negative are homophobic, the rest are civil right campaigners fighting for the equality across society and shouldn't be questioned.

topcuppla

Quote from: annapr on April 30, 2015, 09:28:53 AM

The only reason I would have a wobble is because I'm disgusted there are still people in the world like Fearon and a few others and I'd be worried my kids would be bullied for being perceived different or not normal by a few idiots.
I'd like to know what these people would do if they had a son or daughter whom came to them and told them they were Gay?

A nice post on an internet form, unless you have kids and one told you they were gay all comments relating to how you know you would feel are irrelevant.

annapr

Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 09:36:19 AM

A nice post on an internet form, unless you have kids and one told you they were gay all comments relating to how you know you would feel are irrelevant.
So you are telling me I can't possibly know how I would feel yet you are able to tell me I would have a wobble? So you think you know me better than I know myself?

My brother is Gay. I'm actually pretty sure I know how I would react if one of my kids told me he/she was Gay.
So what would you do? Disown them? Try to cure them?

gallsman

Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 09:32:26 AM

An emoticon rolling the eyes does not distract from the fact that the gay rights campaigners here would wobble if their child told them they were gay.  It amazes me that a debate on issues concerning homosexuality always pan out the same way - those who say anything negative are homophobic, the rest are civil right campaigners fighting for the equality across society and shouldn't be questioned.

You base this on what? Do you personally know any gay people? Do any of the other, yes, homophobes on this forum?

muppet

Many people 'would have a wobble or two' if their son/daughter were marrying someone from the neighbouring parish/county/country/race etc. That doesn't mean they would want to stop anyone from those places legally marrying.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 09:36:19 AM

I don't understand what the problem would be if I had a 'wobble' should my son/daughter be gay. I'm all for Gay rights and equality but that doesn't mean I comprehend why people are that way or that I wouldn't be uncomfortable around someone and their partner. I don't see what relevance that has to the debate. While I wouldn't be thrilled if one of my family is gay why would I want to deny them their rights as a human being??

RESPECT is what it's about folks!

T Fearon

No I wouldn't be in favour of recriminalising homosexuality,but I am vehemently opposed to the normalisation of homosexuality and the debasement of the holy sacrament of marriage.

topcuppla

Quote from: gallsman on April 30, 2015, 10:11:26 AM
Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 09:32:26 AM

You base this on what? Do you personally know any gay people? Do any of the other, yes, homophobes on this forum?

So anyone who disagrees with any aspect of the gay agenda is homophobic in your eyes?