McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

I'm trying to understand Maguire's point, given the performances of the two counties in last years championship you could take it that putting out a full 2010 championship starting 15 would be the surest way of knowing that Cavan weren't taking it seriously.

Anyway, it's January
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Maguire01

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 27, 2011, 07:30:25 PM
I'm trying to understand Maguire's point, given the performances of the two counties in last years championship you could take it that putting out a full 2010 championship starting 15 would be the surest way of knowing that Cavan weren't taking it seriously.
They didn't put out their starting Championship 15, but they had a core of tried and tested players. My point was that if Monaghan had entered the competition to win it, or even be competitive, they could have had the core of last year's team playing. McEneaney clearly used it as a trial and wasn't entering the competition to win it.

mylestheslasher

Good to see sour grapes alive and well in monaghan ;)
Suck it up maguire  :D

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 27, 2011, 08:37:49 PM
It's not sour grapes at all - the result of a McKenna Cup match means little more than the result of a challenge match. If it was the Championship or even the league then of course I'd hate to lose to Cavan.

I was just considering whether McEneaney got any value out of the games.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2011, 08:19:35 PM
They didn't put out their starting Championship 15, but they had a core of tried and tested players. My point was that if Monaghan had entered the competition to win it, or even be competitive, they could have had the core of last year's team playing. McEneaney clearly used it as a trial and wasn't entering the competition to win it.

Alan Clarke played 3 championship games last year,and no league football
Tomas Corr has played one year
Ronan Flanagan,Cian Mackey,Michael Brennan,Mark McKeever are the only established players and only 3 of them started.
The rest are a mixture of returning players who havent played IC Football in a few years and newcomers.
Not a strong Cavan team by any standards.

tyroneman

Anyone know the story with SoN not playing last night either?

Main Street

Anyway, it's January
Hard to take Cavan seriously, anytime in the year. 

Their spoon collection is impressive though,

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2011, 10:26:14 PM

Anyway, it's January

Our collections of Ulster championships and All Irelands is also impressive in comparison to some others!

Orior

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 27, 2011, 11:15:04 PM

Anyway, it's January

Our collections of Ulster championships and All Irelands is also impressive in comparison to some others!

LOL. He shoots, he scores!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2011, 06:33:06 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 27, 2011, 09:01:48 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 26, 2011, 08:13:41 PM
Quote from: drici on January 26, 2011, 08:08:27 PM
Monaghan 0-04  Cavan 1-09

Half Time
Obviously with the squad and the results Monaghan aren't taking this very seriously, but I wonder if MeEneaney is actually getting anything out of this.

::) :D Do you think Cavan are?
It's my stalker!

No, not your stalker at all. If anyone else had put up  such a petty childish comment about any other game I'd have pulled them on it too -it just so happens that most of the comments that annoy me are posted by yourself.
I mean - in preparation for a thumping, you tried a defence of 'Sure we werent really trying'.  ::)

The reason Derry and Cavans teams are more familiar is that more players were rotated in the last few years. Banty stuck with the same. What McEnaney is getting out of this is that he has been left an under-developed squad.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Orior on January 27, 2011, 11:23:48 PM

Anyway, it's January

LOL. He shoots, he scores!

Sloppy enough bit of defending from Main Street alright, and our man Myles just gobbles up those chances like the Robbie Keane of old. Hopefully he'll get a long season of it
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Celt_Man

Anyway, it's January

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Sleater

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2011, 08:45:46 PM
It's not sour grapes at all - the result of a McKenna Cup match means little more than the result of a challenge match. If it was the Championship or even the league then of course I'd hate to lose to Cavan.

In 2010 Monaghan's results in the McKenna Cup were hardly any better than this years results. But last year we at least managed to find 4 players who were definetly up to the standard (Colin Walsh, Kieran Hughes, Dermot Malone and Colm Grennan). This year, I'm struggling to see what players we found from the competition.... Mark Keogh in goals seems like he'll push for a starting chp spot, and I'd hope Gavin Doogan makes the breakthrough this year. But a goalie and one outfield player doesn't give much optimisim.

Perhaps the impact will arrive from the lads who were playing for the universities and colleges

e.g. Cormac Brady is centre back at UCD
David Hughes is captain of DIT
Conor Galligan is corner back at UUJ
Chris McGuinness is playing for DCU

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on January 28, 2011, 08:48:18 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2011, 06:33:06 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 27, 2011, 09:01:48 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 26, 2011, 08:13:41 PM
Quote from: drici on January 26, 2011, 08:08:27 PM
Monaghan 0-04  Cavan 1-09

Half Time
Obviously with the squad and the results Monaghan aren't taking this very seriously, but I wonder if MeEneaney is actually getting anything out of this.

::) :D Do you think Cavan are?
It's my stalker!

No, not your stalker at all. If anyone else had put up  such a petty childish comment about any other game I'd have pulled them on it too -it just so happens that most of the comments that annoy me are posted by yourself.
I mean - in preparation for a thumping, you tried a defence of 'Sure we werent really trying'.  ::)

The reason Derry and Cavans teams are more familiar is that more players were rotated in the last few years. Banty stuck with the same. What McEnaney is getting out of this is that he has been left an under-developed squad.
You might not agree with what I said, but I don't see how that makes it petty or childish. (And nobody else felt the need to pull me up on it.) And it wasn't just in preparation for a thumping, it was with considertion of the previous 2 games as well.

I would consider it reasonable to assume that if McEneaney was serious about winning the McKenna Cup or even being reasonably competitive, he would have had more tried and tested players joining Finlay and Clerkin (even with the list of injuries) - just as Cavan and Derry had a better mix of old and new (and for the record, I think that's a better approach to take to get an idea of the potential of new players). I think it's clear that McEneaney used the games to get a look at some new players.

As for your "we weren't really trying" comment, i'd be confident if Monaghan and Cavan both put out their full strength teams.

Maguire01

Quote from: Sleater on January 28, 2011, 03:30:19 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2011, 08:45:46 PM

In 2010 Monaghan's results in the McKenna Cup were hardly any better than this years results. But last year we at least managed to find 4 players who were definetly up to the standard (Colin Walsh, Kieran Hughes, Dermot Malone and Colm Grennan). This year, I'm struggling to see what players we found from the competition.... Mark Keogh in goals seems like he'll push for a starting chp spot, and I'd hope Gavin Doogan makes the breakthrough this year. But a goalie and one outfield player doesn't give much optimisim.

Perhaps the impact will arrive from the lads who were playing for the universities and colleges

e.g. Cormac Brady is centre back at UCD
David Hughes is captain of DIT
Conor Galligan is corner back at UUJ
Chris McGuinness is playing for DCU
I don't think the approach of playing 13 'new' players is an effective way to spot potential. My preference would be to see 4 or 5 slotted in between the established players to see how it operates. Granted, with injuries and college commitments it wasn't quite as easy to do this year.

Keogh seems like a find alright - didn't he save two penalties across the 3 games? What are his kick-outs like?
The #1 shirt has been problematic for us, so it would be nice to get it sorted.