McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

Quote from: superblues on January 15, 2011, 10:34:07 PM
he was only stating the obvious he was very poor and just because he is your all ireland minor captain does not mean anything down had an all ireland minor winning captain came on he is now 30 and that still remains his best moment nothing is guaranteed

read back, as if it wasnt bad enough his first comment, then he has to get back on and add more 20 mins later with another insightful remark, like fek sakes, come on now. i dont mind some fair criticism but thats pure tripe.

never kickt a ball

Queen's and Derry take victories

Queen's University proved too strong for Monaghan in their Barrett Dr McKenna Cup Section B opener at Clones. Both sides finished with 14 men in a highly competitive encounter as Queen's University took a 0-13 to 0-9 win. Derry enjoyed a slender 1-12 to 1-10 advantage over Cavan in their game at Breffni Park on Saturday night. John Brennan's charges led by 0-11 to 0-3 at half-time with all of the Oak Leafers scores coming from open play. Michael Brennan grabbed a late goal. Monaghan were dealt a major blow with the dismissal of Francis Caulfield in the first half and Queen's upped a gear to lead by two points at the interval at Clones on Saturday afternoon. Substitute Joe Ireland was sent-off in the second period but the students held on to get off to a winning start. Cathal O'Rourke's charges were met with a determined Monaghan challenge, as the students edged a 0-5 to 0-3 score-line at half-time, with Tyrone's Niall McKenna and Derry's Charlie Kielt prominent. Monaghan matched the visitors well early on and led by 0-2 to 0-1 following points from Paul Finlay and Martin McElroy after 12 minutes. Midfielder Caulfield received a second yellow card for a mistimed tackle on Kielt in the 13th minute.
After the break, McKenna and Kielt were among the scorers as Queen's built up a 0-10 to 0-4 lead within 14 minutes of the restart. Ireland received a straight red card following a dangerous tackle towards the end of the third quarter, but despite his dismissal and goal chances for Monaghan duo Eoghan Duffy and Keith Hill, Queen's held out for victory. Visitors Derry got their McKenna Cup campaign off to an impressive start thanks to a 1-12 to 1-10 win over Cavan. John Brennan's charges led by 0-11 to 0-3 at half-time with all of the Oak Leafers scores coming from open play.
Conleth Gilligan led the charge with five well taken points from play in the opening half, with Paddy Bradley claiming two points inside the opening 35 minutes. Derry were dominant in all sectors in the opening period, with James Kielt particularly impressive at midfield. Cavan were dealt a major blow midway through the half as they lost their goalkeeper James Reilly through injury and he was replaced by David Ward. Derry continued to perform strongly on the restart, but Cavan dug deep in the closing stages, holding the visitors to just 1-1 in the second half. A late Michael Brennan goal put Cavan back into the frame with Derry holding a late 1-12 to 1-9 lead. However, Derry held out to register their first win of 2011.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9363087.stm
Published: 2011/01/15 19:36:12 GMT
© BBC 2011

Stevie Nicks

Was at the game tonight and think the criticism of McKenna is a wee bit strong I thought he had a fair game and certainly has the potential. Kieran Toner is a midfielder and not a full back, Grugan was superb and glad to see Brian Mallon have a good game, all the Down men could do was foul him anytime he got the ball.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Decent performance by Armagh. I was quite annoyed midway through the second half at the manner in which we'd squandered a seemingly overwhelming first half advantage and looked beaten when we were 5 or 6 behind. But fair play they knuckled down and got back into the match.

As the scoreline suggests, a poor night for the defences. Benny Coulter caused us serious damage - scored two goals and might as well have scored the other. The defence as a unit were poor with one or two individuals having really dreadful matches. I was surprised Ciaran McKeever wasn't utilised to plug one or two of the holes in our defence. The return of Donaghy and Mallon is badly needed while James Morgan could well be pushing for a starting slot by May. We only had 6 defenders in our entire squad tonight.

On the other hand, the forwards were excellent. Grugan had an excellent debut. He appears to have one of the most vital attributes any footballer can have - vision. Brian Mallon was very good early on while that may well have been Miceal O'Rourke's best match in an Armagh jersey. McParland was decent as well while I felt Billy Joe Padden provided some much needed impetus late in the match

Some of the link play in the first 20 minutes was exceptional and we played a very attractive brand of football with 3 full forwards. It made a pleasant change but the concession of 3-11 may see a return to a defensive mindset. Overall, it was a pleasing and enjoyable performance, if ultimately fairly meaningless.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

never kickt a ball

Donegal beat UUJ in McKenna Cup

Jim McGuinness claimed a debut win in his first game as Donegal manager thanks to a 0-14 to 0-10 win over UUJ at a sparsely attended Ballybofey. The hosts led by 0-7 to 0-4 at half-time and extended their advantage to secure a four-point victory. The other scheduled game in the group should have seen Fermanagh play Tyrone but that fixture has been postponed after the death of Michaela McAreavey. That match will now be played at Brewster Park on Wednesday 26 January. At Ballybofey, Mattie Donnelly got the students off the mark before Ryan Bradley claimed an equaliser. Dermot Molloy and Peter Hughes traded points, before Donegal opened up a 0-7 to 0-3 lead approaching the interval. UUJ held momentum in the closing stages of the half with Caolan O'Boyle cutting the deficit to three points at the break. Donnelly bagged the opening score of the second half for the students inside a minute of the restart. However a trio of scores including a brace of points from Molloy helped open up a 0-10 to 0-5 lead in the 45th minute. Scores came at fast pace from both sides, with Donegal edging a 0-12 to 0-8 lead with 10 minutes remaining. Despite a resiliant UUJ display, the Tir Chonaill men held out for a well merited win.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9363129.stm
Published: 2011/01/15 21:52:50 GMT
© BBC 2011

The GAA

My initial comment:

Quote from: The GAA on January 15, 2011, 09:29:53 PM
While its good to see younger lads coming through i couldn't help but feel very sorry for young mckenna tonight. the lad obviously isn't ready for this step up and i think his development will be irreversibly harmed by getting roastings like this.

Was a criticism of the management. It's particularly difficult for a young defender to come into a county senior team. Much easier for a forward. Young McKenna has plenty of potential but throwing him in there – and putting him on martin Clarke – is shocking stuff. That he didn't light the place up is not his fault.

A poster then asked the question about McKenna's performance. He was v v poor. Again, I don't lay any blame at his door. Should I tell lies to protect your sensibilities?

never kickt a ball

McKenna Cup: Queen's spoil McEneaney's return
15 January 2011

Eamonn McEneaney's first game back in charge of Monaghan ended in a Dr McKenna Cup Section B defeat to Queen's University at Clones today.

Queen's University 0-13
Monaghan 0-9

Both sides finished with 14 players after Monaghan's Francis Caulfield was sent off in the first half and Queen's substitute Joe Ireland was dismissed in the second period. With Tyrone's Niall McKenna and Derry's James Kielt to the fore, Cathal O'Rourke's students took a 0-5 to 0-3 lead into the break. Monaghan started the brighter with points from Paul Finlay and Martin McElroy giving them a 0-2 to 0-1 lead after 12 minutes. But midfielder Caulfield's dismissal on a second yellow card one minute later for a reckless tackle on Kielt hit them hard as Queen's fought back to lead at half-time. The Belfast side tightened their grip on proceedings after the restart and had built up a 0-10 to 0-4 lead by the 49th minute. Ireland received a straight red card following a dangerous tackle at the end of the third quarter, but despite his dismissal and goal chances for Monaghan duo Eoghan Duffy and Keith Hill, they held on for the win.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=140631

never kickt a ball

Saffrons off to winning start in McKenna Cup - Antrim 2-12 St mary's 0-9

15 January 2011
Antrim got their Dr McKenna Cup campaign off to a winning start at a rain drenched Casement Park on Saturday evening with a 2-12 to 0-9 win over St Mary's in Section C.
Liam Bradley's men were in top form and after an impressive opening half they led by 1-7 to 0-2 at the break, the goal coming from St Enda's Dean O'Neill in the thirty-second minute after a fine solo run and finish.
The pleasing thing about that first-half display was the spread of scored throughout the team as Paddy Cunningham, Conor McGourty, Mark Sweeney and Terry O'Neill also got their names on the scoreboard.
St Mary's battled hard after the restart and points from Kevin Mossey and Mark McKenna kept them in contention.
Paddy Cunningham stretched the Antrim lead to 1-7 to 0-4 but St Mary's stayed in touch when Mark McKenna again found the target, and when substitute Oisin Mac Iomhair knocked over a free they reduced their arrears to just four points. (1-7 to 0-6) A third point from CJ McGourty pulled Antrim five clear and though St Mary's kept battling to the end a late Kevin Niblock goal sealed the Saffrons win.

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=2793

rootthemout

Quote from: The GAA on January 15, 2011, 10:53:37 PM

My initial comment:

While its good to see younger lads coming through i couldn't help but feel very sorry for young mckenna tonight. the lad obviously isn't ready for this step up and i think his development will be irreversibly harmed by getting roastings like this.

Was a criticism of the management. It's particularly difficult for a young defender to come into a county senior team. Much easier for a forward. Young McKenna has plenty of potential but throwing him in there – and putting him on martin Clarke – is shocking stuff. That he didn't light the place up is not his fault.

A poster then asked the question about McKenna's performance. He was v v poor. Again, I don't lay any blame at his door. Should I tell lies to protect your sensibilities?
get your boot in early there on young mckenna,is this competion not meant to be about looking at potential players and giving thema chance,he had to mark one of the best forwards in ireland that not to many established county players could mark last year,give the lad a chance.

Abble

My initial comment:

wouldnt exactly call it sensibilities, but its just hard reading pure tripe

" That he didn't light the place up is not his fault"

some of armagh minors best games the year they won the all-ireland, Declan wouldnt have been lighting the place up, but he (in my opinion) would have been man of match many times....he is far from stand out in many games but he does a job and does it very well.

sorry, but as you say, it was only a criticism of the management. i'm sure when POR was talking to Declan before he went out on the field he wasn't saying things like "go out there son and light the place up!"

early days anyway and a good start tonight

The GAA

whiskeysteve

My initial comment:

jaysus sake its the feckin mckenna cup. you're meant to throw in the young lads AND onto players like martin clarke. why not?

he'll hardly be stood on a bridge ringing the samaritans after 3 men and a dog watched him getting roasted by clarke on a 15th of feckin january mckenna game. i suppose you could wrap him in cotton wool and only play him in training matches and with a mask on to hide his face
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

fitzroyalty

Good match well worth the admission I reckon. Both sets of defences were clean bad. For Armagh nobody in defence really stood out, Feeney did well in the first half which was promising considering he is a forward. McEvoy in nets had a bit of a stinker if I'm honest. Charlie Vernon was good round the middle but died out after about 20 mins, think Down bossed mf for almost the entire second half. Was very impressed with the forwards, I had some reservations but they were put away to a certain extent after tonight. Grugan was excellent, O'Rourke played well and Mallon was brilliant. BJP looked good when he came on, didn't do anything wrong and was IMO part of the reason we went on to win as he brought an extra bit of presence round mf. John Murtagh wasn't great, won and scored a free, other than that didn't really get up to much.

Re McKenna, he certainly wasn't the worst player on the field tonight. His passing was excellent and he could have done a lot worse truth be told.

The GAA

Way to miss the point.

You don't throw young defenders into the McKenna cup against the best forwards in the country. its entirely different from blooding a forward. you nurture a defenders confidence and build his capacity to deal with better and better forwards - yes in training games. why didn't dyas, martin or duffy pick clarke up?

I want McKenna to be the next kieran mcgeeney but this is not the way to achieve it. He is one of the brighter defensive talents in the county and needs to be better prtected and progressed than that.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: The GAA on January 15, 2011, 11:26:35 PM
Way to miss the point.

You don't throw young defenders into the McKenna cup against the best forwards in the country. its entirely different from blooding a forward. you nurture a defenders confidence and build his capacity to deal with better and better forwards - yes in training games. why didn't dyas, martin or duffy pick clarke up?

I want McKenna to be the next kieran mcgeeney but this is not the way to achieve it. He is one of the brighter defensive talents in the county and needs to be better prtected and progressed than that.
Why not GAA surely he'll be marking the likes of Stevie McDonnell et al in Armagh training. He'll learn from it.