Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Quote from: RMDrive on January 28, 2010, 11:04:43 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on January 28, 2010, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2010, 02:04:39 AM
Quote from: western exile on January 27, 2010, 08:51:58 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 27, 2010, 08:42:27 PM
Quote from: fan01 on January 27, 2010, 08:40:39 PM
highland radio has the donegal v down game on. http://www.highlandradio.com/listen-live/

Thanks

Hilarious biased commentary  ;D

Its a Donegal station broadcasting for a Donegal audience. Of course they're shouting for Donegal! They never claim otherwise. Doesn't mean they don't criticize the Donegal players or team. I see one or two comments about McHugh apparently disliking Down (normally its Tyrone lads I think do be complaining! I have to say though, I have never noticed him with any bias or grudge towards any opposition county on Highland - he normally holds Tyrone, at least, up as the example we should be aspiring towards). And he never holds back when Donegal are shite or due criticism!

I have to say I always feel he's very negative regarding the standard of play alot of the time ( Not just Tyrone for that matter) Just think he concentrates on the mistakes, poor performances etc more than any other pundit and can be very quick to run down the standard of play.

Yeah, he's the Ray Houghton of GAA commentary. All commentators like that annoy my head. You'd swear they never made a mistake when they played themselves.
As J70 said though, I've always found his criticism to be evenly distributed.
He gave Donegal fierce criticism last Sat night during the St Mary's game too and makes constant refererence to the 'Tyrone Way' in schools, underage structures etc.
Highland provide excellent coverage though of GAA at all levels, a bit of partisan commentary is a laugh.

Trevor Hill

You would think to hear McHugh last night that Donegal were winning All Irelands on a regular basis, while Down had only one measly title.  ::) His comment that Down couldn't tackle a fish supper is wearing a bit thin now and was thread bare when he borrowed it from someone else. Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh he isn't.

offthefence

Quote from: tyrone86 on January 28, 2010, 11:24:09 AM
Quote from: goal and a point on January 28, 2010, 09:44:45 AM
how did mcgurk play - always thought he was a very steady club player

Never gave wylie a sniff of it and broke out of defence a few times. We haven't really seen enough of him to see who he is going to dislodge on the panel. Personally, I'd like to see how he'd do on Murphy or McFadden on Saturday night - he has all the right attributes for the job and he deserves a proper chance.

just a note mcgurk is still recovering from a knee injury as far as i know and the fitness would not be there as yet but when fully fit he is as good as whats there at the minute and didnt look out of place last night being only 50% fit. 

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Tyrone comfortably overcame a lacklusture Fermanagh last night with a threatening forward line showing great promise. The Fermanagh goal which ended the game left the score suggesting hammering rather than a 15 point slaughter.

Tyrone's forwards were active and fairly clinical with only one wide towards the end of the 1st half (correct me if i'm wrong). The half forward line of Coney, Tommy Mc Guigan and Peter Harte were impressive. Tommy getting MOTM was I suppose inevitable given his score tally, but I think certain players were arguably more impressive, although Tommy scored two really excellent points from play in the 1st half and made himself available for a good number of Curren's kick outs along the right flank.
Peter Harte and Coney look at ease in the senior set up, Harte converted a couple of good points and is excellent in making himself available for the ball. Coney showed great power and prowess, he can only get better playing alongside complete players such as SON.
Aiden Cassidy is now completely at ease in the senior set up, he was very impressive last night with high fielding and surging forward runs. Curren (with the new rules making all kick outs from the same spot) was able to find him in the middle almost without fail, and he made plenty of clean catches. Curren's kickouts were also notworthy for their accuracy. I was surprised to read The Herald today highlighting McGinley's performance. I actually thought he was below par and very average.
Justy was very solid at the back as usual, Swift I felt struggled a bit with his man in a night were there were so many great performances, being average wasn't enough. McGurk had little to do in the first half, but made himself available on occassion especially in the second half for upfield runs. He didn't look completely comfortable and is running out of time to fulfill his potential in a Tyrone shirt.
Carlin was like a rabid dog marking his man, showing great hunger for every ball and excelling in man marking. Gormley showed his usual feverent aggression in defending, earning himself a yellow card. Joey gave a good account, cleaning up split balls and almost playing a midfield sweeper role, he also converted a fine 1st half 45.
SON as usual was outstanding, tirelessly tearing the defense apart whether he had the ball or not. Penrose also played very well, making himself a taget for both high and low balls scoring 2 from play, one of which looked an impossible angle. He put in a massive effort which Gareth Devlin tried to replicate, but couldn't. His eagerness to impress didn't convert into a performance and with such an unbelievable standard of forwards, he was the only starting forward who didn't score.

With such competition for places and such high standard only Peter Harte and Coney look like the real deal IMO, but that is not to say a few more prospects won't slip into the senior set up for some of the driftwood.

Curren: 8.5
Mc Gurk: 6
Justy: 8
Swift: 6
Carlin: 7.5
Gormley: 7
Joe: 7
Cassidy: 9
Mc Ginley: 6.5
Coney: 8
Tommy: 8.5
P Harte: 8
Penrose: 8
SON: 8.5
Devlin: 6

Subs:
Niall Mc Kenna: 7
Gavin Teague: 6
O'Neill: 6
Both Donnelly's not on long enough to rate.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add, Tyrone hit the cross bar at least three times. This game could have been won by 20 points, but we'll not complain with 21 scores.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Norf Tyrone

I see a Tyrone man played against them last night for Fermanagh, and another one will face them for Donegal on Saturday.

That's every game this year (Bar Cavan) that there has been a Tyrone man in the opposition line up!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fuzzman

Yeah strange that one alright Norf
Hope we dont have to use that tactic come Sept. Only messing lads. Dont tell me I'm too cocky.

Thanks for that report Sandwiches. A lot of these lads I dont know at all like McGurk so dependent of ye all for feedback.

I must say I'm excited about the new season & looking forward to attending the game up in Celtic park with a few of my inbred "Mates Sor"
I wonder will we see any keepy Uppies?

sandwiches_in_the_boot

H. L. Mencken

tyrone86

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on January 28, 2010, 03:03:24 PM
Tyrone comfortably overcame a lacklusture Fermanagh last night with a threatening forward line showing great promise. The Fermanagh goal which ended the game left the score suggesting hammering rather than a 15 point slaughter.

Tyrone's forwards were active and fairly clinical with only one wide towards the end of the 1st half (correct me if i'm wrong). The half forward line of Coney, Tommy Mc Guigan and Peter Harte were impressive. Tommy getting MOTM was I suppose inevitable given his score tally, but I think certain players were arguably more impressive, although Tommy scored two really excellent points from play in the 1st half and made himself available for a good number of Curren's kick outs along the right flank.
Peter Harte and Coney look at ease in the senior set up, Harte converted a couple of good points and is excellent in making himself available for the ball. Coney showed great power and prowess, he can only get better playing alongside complete players such as SON.
Aiden Cassidy is now completely at ease in the senior set up, he was very impressive last night with high fielding and surging forward runs. Curren (with the new rules making all kick outs from the same spot) was able to find him in the middle almost without fail, and he made plenty of clean catches. Curren's kickouts were also notworthy for their accuracy. I was surprised to read The Herald today highlighting McGinley's performance. I actually thought he was below par and very average.
Justy was very solid at the back as usual, Swift I felt struggled a bit with his man in a night were there were so many great performances, being average wasn't enough. McGurk had little to do in the first half, but made himself available on occassion especially in the second half for upfield runs. He didn't look completely comfortable and is running out of time to fulfill his potential in a Tyrone shirt.
Carlin was like a rabid dog marking his man, showing great hunger for every ball and excelling in man marking. Gormley showed his usual feverent aggression in defending, earning himself a yellow card. Joey gave a good account, cleaning up split balls and almost playing a midfield sweeper role, he also converted a fine 1st half 45.
SON as usual was outstanding, tirelessly tearing the defense apart whether he had the ball or not. Penrose also played very well, making himself a taget for both high and low balls scoring 2 from play, one of which looked an impossible angle. He put in a massive effort which Gareth Devlin tried to replicate, but couldn't. His eagerness to impress didn't convert into a performance and with such an unbelievable standard of forwards, he was the only starting forward who didn't score.

With such competition for places and such high standard only Peter Harte and Coney look like the real deal IMO, but that is not to say a few more prospects won't slip into the senior set up for some of the driftwood.

Curren: 8.5
Mc Gurk: 6
Justy: 8
Swift: 6
Carlin: 7.5
Gormley: 7
Joe: 7
Cassidy: 9
Mc Ginley: 6.5
Coney: 8
Tommy: 8.5
P Harte: 8
Penrose: 8
SON: 8.5
Devlin: 6

Subs:
Niall Mc Kenna: 7
Gavin Teague: 6
O'Neill: 6
Both Donnelly's not on long enough to rate.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add, Tyrone hit the cross bar at least three times. This game could have been won by 20 points, but we'll not complain with 21 scores.

A good analysis, only a couple of things I'd take issue with. I'm not a fan of Johnny Curran and last night did nothing to convince me. While he can find men with shortish kick outs and is a decent shot stopper, he can't command he area and, in a trait he isn't alone in, doesn't inspire confidence under the high ball. While Cassidy did well, he certainly wasn't man of the match last night. He has established himself as a midfield option now though and could see some game time come the summer.
Mannies was very lucky he didn't get the line after clattering one of the Fermanagh defenders with an elbow off the ball. The linesman mustn't have had a clear view since he only got a yellow.

western exile

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on January 28, 2010, 04:49:01 PM
Some video from last night up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA#p/a/u/0/lJbzH8WCbww

Ulster GAA's been using Youtube well.
There must be someone new on the job. They have an active Facebook page too!

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: tyrone86 on January 28, 2010, 05:43:51 PM

A good analysis, only a couple of things I'd take issue with. I'm not a fan of Johnny Curran and last night did nothing to convince me. While he can find men with shortish kick outs and is a decent shot stopper, he can't command he area and, in a trait he isn't alone in, doesn't inspire confidence under the high ball. While Cassidy did well, he certainly wasn't man of the match last night. He has established himself as a midfield option now though and could see some game time come the summer.
Mannies was very lucky he didn't get the line after clattering one of the Fermanagh defenders with an elbow off the ball. The linesman mustn't have had a clear view since he only got a yellow.

I'd take your point about Curran's command of the box, however it's his accuaracy with both long and short kick outs that impress me. I seen him find Cassidy on many occassions with kickouts that landed in midfield and he also found Tommy McGuigan well on the right at least 3 times. His accuracy is an assest for Tyrone, alongside Cassidy finally suggesting an answer to Tyrone's weakness in midfield. Tyrone's roving half forwards were able to provide more options for Curran who generally supplied them well. I hope he gets the chance in the league.

If TMcG wasn't designated freetaker, or if SON wasn't off when the penalty was awarded I don't think it would have been as easy to pick a MOTM as there were so many equally impressive performances.
H. L. Mencken

Shadylimp

Sandwiches i think your blowing cassidy up a bit too much and also expecting too much of the lad. I thought he took too much out of the ball at times the other night and would only release it when he was in trouble. Yeah he has potential but he has a hell of a lot to learn. Nowhere near man of the match the last night.
'Oh honey I didn't get drunk. I just went into a strange fantasy world'

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Shadylimp on January 29, 2010, 11:09:13 AM
Sandwiches i think your blowing cassidy up a bit too much and also expecting too much of the lad. I thought he took too much out of the ball at times the other night and would only release it when he was in trouble. Yeah he has potential but he has a hell of a lot to learn. Nowhere near man of the match the last night.

Yes, maybe he has a lot to learn, but looked very comfortable in the Tyrone set up compared with this time last year. I don't agree that he was nowhere near MOTM, he was much better than McGinley (who UH picked out as one of the best players on the night). IMO he was in there with about 5 or 6 others who put in potential MOTM performances.
H. L. Mencken

Fuzzman

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 29, 2010, 03:18:15 PM
Is the match defo on TG4 on Sat?

From www.tg4.ie
Saturday, 30.01.2010
19:15          GAA Beo
Live coverage of the McKenna Cup Football Final. Presented by Micheál Ó Domhnaill with commentary by Mac Dara Mac Donncha. This will be the chance to see the teams in action before the leagues start next weekend.

Throw in is 19.30 according to Ulster Council site.
H. L. Mencken

charlieTully

i won two tickets to the mckenna cup final, if anyone wants them send me a pm.