McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

Quote from: Zapatista on January 24, 2010, 07:00:27 PM
Any word on how Fintona's Aidan McCarron is got on with Fermanagh?

He came on for the last 10 mins. His work rate is very impressive but so far for Fermanagh he hasn't really been getting on the score sheet. I remember his MacRory cup day he used to run the legs off the St. Michael's defence on his own. It's early days, but he has made a positive start to his career with Fermanagh. If he had Rory Gallagher beside him in the full forward line, I think we would see the best from McCarron.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

mackers

As TAM says a disappointing campaign with few postives. I hear the management team are still concerned about Dyas's hamstring and are going to try to take him in slowly.
Positives would be how sharp Stevie looks already but the worry is that we still rely so heavily on him in attack. Mackin,McNamee and Austin were impressive at times and deserve a run in the league and Kieran Toner should be played at FB in the league and along with Andy Mallon they make a great pairing in the FB line. Hearty is way behind McEvoy for the keeper spot.
Midfield went a bit better today that it did on Wednesday night, Lavery adds a bit of height in there but is a very limited footballer, he got two marks in the games he played but kicked the ball to an opponet from the resultant frees.
I think our best hope of unearthing a couple of forwards are from within the u21s and I hear they won't be played in the senior ranks until they go out of the u21 championship.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Benny Barnaveld

Quote from: mackers on January 24, 2010, 08:37:44 PM
As TAM says a disappointing campaign with few postives. I hear the management team are still concerned about Dyas's hamstring and are going to try to take him in slowly.
Positives would be how sharp Stevie looks already but the worry is that we still rely so heavily on him in attack. Mackin,McNamee and Austin were impressive at times and deserve a run in the league and Kieran Toner should be played at FB in the league and along with Andy Mallon they make a great pairing in the FB line. Hearty is way behind McEvoy for the keeper spot.
Midfield went a bit better today that it did on Wednesday night, Lavery adds a bit of height in there but is a very limited footballer, he got two marks in the games he played but kicked the ball to an opponet from the resultant frees.
I think our best hope of unearthing a couple of forwards are from within the u21s and I hear they won't be played in the senior ranks until they go out of the u21 championship.

Jesus, could not get to the Monaghan match, but Midfield must have been really bad if today was an improvement!

mackers

Quote from: Benny Barnaveld on January 24, 2010, 08:49:26 PM

Jesus, could not get to the Monaghan match, but Midfield must have been really bad if today was an improvement!
It was bad, very bad..........but at least they made use of the ball when they had it on Wednesday night. We got 3 or 4 marks today, ZERO on Wednesday night.............

Benny Barnaveld

Aigh think Austin must have got about 4 himself. Made a good impact

FermPundit

Quote from: mackers on January 24, 2010, 08:55:22 PM

It was bad, very bad..........but at least they made use of the ball when they had it on Wednesday night. We got 3 or 4 marks today, ZERO on Wednesday night.............

But Fermanagh's midfield was so weak today. Tommy McElroy is never a midfielder and Ryan Jones is just out of minor level. Armagh should have completely wiped Fermanagh out in this sector today, but they didn't.

mackers

Quote from: FermPundit on January 24, 2010, 09:00:27 PM

But Fermanagh's midfield was so weak today. Tommy McElroy is never a midfielder and Ryan Jones is just out of minor level. Armagh should have completely wiped Fermanagh out in this sector today, but they didn't.
Jesus, we're even worse than I thought then............

Benny Barnaveld

Thats what I thought too, there we were up against nothing in that sector.
I think Midfield has become a real problem for us now and I'm not just going on McKenna cup evidence.
Lavery so far has put in 30 good mins in an Armagh Jersey, Toner is lined up for full back, and Vernon has failed to silence all the critics. Who are our best two?

FermPundit

Quote from: Benny Barnaveld on January 24, 2010, 09:08:57 PM
Thats what I thought too, there we were up against nothing in that sector.
I think Midfield has become a real problem for us now and I'm not just going on McKenna cup evidence.
Lavery so far has put in 30 good mins in an Armagh Jersey, Toner is lined up for full back, and Vernon has failed to silence all the critics. Who are our best two?

Is midfield the best position for Charlie Vernon? Maybe he would be more effective in the half forward line. Where was David McKenna from Cross today? Is he involved in the county set up this season?

Benny Barnaveld

McKenna I think is back from injury, in the UUJ panel, think he played on Wednesday night in Enniskillen.
Would like to think he would available for the league
Vernon's strength would be an addition in the HF line, but not sure about his ability to take scores.

FermPundit

Quote from: Benny Barnaveld on January 24, 2010, 09:36:55 PM
McKenna I think is back from injury, in the UUJ panel, think he played on Wednesday night in Enniskillen.
Vernon's strength would be an addition in the HF line, but not sure about his ability to take scores.

Where were all the Crossmaglen men today?

Benny Barnaveld

Quote from: FermPundit on January 24, 2010, 09:47:25 PM
Quote from: Benny Barnaveld on January 24, 2010, 09:36:55 PM

Where were all the Crossmaglen men today?

Tony Kernan was injured against UUJ, not sure how badly.
Aaron was probably rested, think McKeown is recovering from injury and Clarke is in the UUJ panel.

trileacman

Quote from: FermPundit on January 24, 2010, 09:00:27 PM

No offence to a fantastic wing back and a great young prospect but if Armagh couldn't dominate midfield I really worry for them. They must really be underperforming.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Any craic

I'm hearing Omagh for Fermanagh v tyrone which obviously means Tyrone won the toss, and Donegal-Down in Enniskillen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA - Celtic Park action and interview with Aidan Carr on today and on facing Donegal.

cadhlancian

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 24, 2010, 07:31:59 PM
Pretty poor McKenna Cup from an Armagh perspective. Quite a number of players starting today who'd you'd expect to see in the championship which makes it a bit worrying. 2 poor performances and a win against a very makeshift Monaghan outfit. To be fair, I suppose we don't knwo what's going on in training at the minute and they mightn't be in peak playing condition at the minute depending on what sort of training is being done.

Disappointed to see no Dyas today, would have thought he needs the games. Not a lot to say about the match really. Poor all through the pitch. For someone who seems to get a lot of undeserved stick from Armagh fans, I thought Mal Mackin had a decent game today. O'Rourke's started him int he 3 matches so you'd think he features in his plans. None of the other fringe players who started did much to enhance their propects. Ronan Austin did very well when he came on. Couple of great marks.

Must say that while I like the mark as a concept, it definitely needs tweaked. It was very frustrating to see a player catch the ball and burst forward only to be pulled back for a free. The free kick has to be optional.
Can,t believe they aren't at peak fitness in January ::)