McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Downs Mc Kenna Cup squad includes some notable additions. Amongst the many familiar faces there are some that are relatively new to the set up. Liam Lennon (Castlewellan) and Kevin Anderson (Aghaderg) in particular will be watched closely by the Down faithful.
Kilcoos great success this year has been reflected by the inclusion of three of their brightest stars, namely, Aidan Brannigan, Conor Laverty and Paul Greenan.
Down fans will relish the chance to see Martin Clarke (pictured above) back in action for the Mourne County. Martin will surely enjoy playing alongside brother John and team mates, Brendan Mc Veigh, and James Colgan.

Dan Gordan is the most noticeable absentee from the squad but is expected to return to the set up shortly after Mc Kenna Cup.

Squad in full;

1. Declan Alder (Carryduff)
2. Liam Lennon (Castlewellan)
3. Declan Rooney (Burren)
4. Damien Rafferty (Newry Shamrocks)
5. Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo)
6. Kevin McKernan (Burren)
7. Conor Garvey (Mayobridge)
8. Ambrose Rodgers (Longstone)
9. Peter Fitzpatrick (Ballymartin)
10. Martin Clarke (An Riocht)
11. Mark Poland (Longstone)
12. Brendan McArdle (Annaclone)
13. Paul McComiskey (Dundrum)
14. James McGovern (Burren)
15. Brendan Coulter (Mayobridge)
16. Brendan McVeigh (An Riocht)
17. Martin Cole (Rostrevor)
18. Paul Murphy (Ballyholland)
19. Sean Parr (Rostrevor)
20. Paul Greenan (Kilcoo)
21. Kevin Anderson (Aghaderg)
22. Conor Laverty (Kilcoo)
23. Daniel Hughes (Saval)
24. Aidan Carr (Clonduff)
25. James Colgan (An Riocht)
26. Darren Cunningham (Saval)
27. Stephen Toner (Bryansford)
28. Mark Doran (Longstone)
29. John Clarke (An Riocht)
30. Stephen Kearney (Saval)

Down travel to Celtic Park in their opening match to match a strong Derry side and then play host to Queens and Antrim respectively in subsequent weeks. It promises to be an interesting campaign.

http://www.downgaa.net/

J70

Donegal panel:

Paul Durcan, Adrian Hanlon, Anthony Thompson, Barry Monaghan, Colin McCarron, Colm McFadden, Conall Dunne, Conor Gurn, Dara Gallagher, David Walsh, Edward Kelly, Eoin Waide, Frank McGlynn, Gareth Concarr, James Keaney, Lee McFadden, Kevin Cassidy, Ciaran Greene, Karl Lacey, Leo McLoone, Michael Maguire, Michael Murphy, Neil Gallagher, Neil McGee, Paddy McDaid, Shane Boyle, Stephen Griffin.

Not too many household names in the Donegal panel anymore, although it is good to see some new faces, hopefully some of whom at least will grab their chance. Brendan Boyle, Barry Dunnion and Christy Toye are all out injured, Rory Kavanagh is off galavanting on a world tour and Eamon McGee is apparently in England and unavailable. With Kavanagh gone, Cassidy takes over as captain. Neil Gallagher is back after his banishment last summer - no sign of Bonner though! Wonder who will be tried at midfield with Gallagher this time?!! The mark experiment should suit him well - whatever about his overall limitations at this level, he is a decent fielder.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Any of the Tyrone lads able to give me directions to Healy Park. I'll be coming in from the Enniskillen side next saturday.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on January 02, 2010, 03:59:25 PM
Any of the Tyrone lads able to give me directions to Healy Park. I'll be coming in from the Enniskillen side next saturday.
Aye same as, where abouts in Omagh is it?  I'll be coming from the...ehhh... Cavan side??
Is there a big stand there or what's the story?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 02, 2010, 04:05:45 PM
Aye same as, where abouts in Omagh is it?  I'll be coming from the...ehhh... Cavan side??
Is there a big stand there or what's the story?
I reckon that'll be the same side Celt Man or maybe you'll be going via Clones.

Dougal

EDIT:sorry was talking nonsense in my original message.hopfully no-one saw it or id look like a right twat. ;D
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

J70

You're as well to plan ahead. I've only been there once, for the Donegal-Monaghan qualifier a few years back. We went via Pettigo and Irvinestown, and I figured when I found a space in the centre of the town where loads of people were parking, that we'd be safe enough taking it and following the crowd. Big mistake if you've an uncle in his seventies with you! The pitch is at least a mile or so out the road north of the centre of the town, so if you've anyone with you who might have an issue with a lot of walking, try and park out near it.

omagh_gael

Lads you'll have no bother getting a space to park near the ground, plenty of car parks and as it's the Mc K cup the crowds won't be huge. Also sure of a covered seat as the stand holds 5k and minute chance of it being full. Once in omagh town centre follow signs for Gortin and you'll find healy park no prob.

gerry

map

you will have problem parking, i always use the terrace entrance via killybrack road at the spar shop turnoff
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Trevor Hill

The Derry v Down game is live on TG4 on Sunday.

Can any of the Derry wans recommend a good hotel in Derry for Saturday night?

Maguire01

I wouldn't book anything just yet - I can see them all being called off unless the weather improves significantly.

Trevor Hill

I ll wait to Saturday to book anything, cant imagine that hotels will be that full this weekend so I am really only looking for a recommendation. Have stayed in too many flea pits over the years.
I doubt this game will actually go ahead this weekend, but if it does we`ll be there.

omagh_gael

I doubt there'll be no games on this weekend, in the west at least, still a good bit of snowing lying around here in omagh and frank mitchell was on the box saying could be as low as -10 by the weekend!

ExiledGael

Can't see them going ahead myself, certainly not in the north west anyhow.
If it does come to pass then go no further than the Tower Hotel. Probably the closest possible decent hotel to the ground but still a safe distance away just inside the walls. Reasonably priced too.