McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

Sunday's Dr Kenna Cup scorelines

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup, full-times

Derry 0-10 0-13 UUJ

Donegal 0-11 1-05 Fermanagh

Monaghan 1-10 1-13 St Mary's

Down 0-16 0-09 Tyrone

Antrim 0-12 1-11 Cavan

Armagh 3-06 0-12 Queen's
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7823052.stm

bennydorano

Bit a good old fashioned robbery at Davitt Park today.  Queens totally bossed the game until the last 10 mins when a bad goalkeeping error gave Armagh the boost they so badly needed.  Ryan Henderson was the stand out Armagh player contributing 2-3 or 2-4, the only other Armagh players worth a mention are Clarke, Miceal O'Rourke and maybe Gareth Smyth in defence.  It was pretty awful stuff from Armagh and apart from Henderson's performance little to offer hope for the forthcoming season.

Queens on the other hand were excellent and moved the ball tremendously well at times and should have won the game by half a dozen pts.  Vernon was excellent until fading late on scored 0-2 and also won at least 3 frees from his strong running that brought scores, James Kielt and McGoldrick? were also very very good.

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2009, 04:55:09 PM
Bit a good old fashioned robbery at Davitt Park today.  Queens totally bossed the game until the last 10 mins when a bad goalkeeping error gave Armagh the boost they so badly needed.  Ryan Henderson was the stand out Armagh player contributing 2-3 or 2-4, the only other Armagh players worth a mention are Clarke, Miceal O'Rourke and maybe Gareth Smyth in defence.  It was pretty awful stuff from Armagh and apart from Henderson's performance little to offer hope for the forthcoming season.

Queens on the other hand were excellent and moved the ball tremendously well at times and should have won the game by half a dozen pts.  Vernon was excellent until fading late on scored 0-2 and also won at least 3 frees from his strong running that brought scores, James Kielt and McGoldrick? were also very very good.

Second half was very enjoyable. Wind played a part. I thought Vince and Vernon had a nice battle with Vernon's two points probably just giving him the nod. Thought Marty was very good until he got the yellow. Smyth was excellent in defence and hardly put a foot wrong. Henderson was the stand out forward although Micheal done very well, won a lot of ball and was decent at the frees.

Young Rafferty also played well and Clarke showed a touch of class at times.

FermGael

Lads how did the Queens full back McGovern play??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

corn02

Quote from: FermGael on January 11, 2009, 05:06:43 PM
Lads how did the Queens full back McGovern play??

I think he was on Henderson because Howard was on O Rourke. If so, not good. Henderson hit 2-4 I think.

The GAA

Yeah, disappointing stuff from armagh. defence looked a shambles in the first half with every one of the queens forward on top. vernon was breaking forward un tracked and queens paroably deserved to be further ahead than 10-2. stiff breeze though it must be said. big kielt was very dangerous inside and the wee queens wing forward ran the game.

clarke was poor again in the first half in his new role and the half forward line was brutal.

second half was obviously a different game with armagh dominating possession and piling forward. a few dubious frees and a bit of brilliance from clarke (though he took double figures in steps) got armagh back into it but its was very even contest. a complete howler from the queens keeper while a point up with a few minutes to go gifted armagh a probably undeserved win.

henderson is a classy finisher to have on the end of things, miceal o'rourke showed well, won some very tough ball and kicked his frees. clarke showed glimpses of class in possession. beyond that it was very poor. queens were very impressive and moven the ball very fast.

Maguire01

Poor showing from Monaghan today, but St Mary's good value for their win - and could have won by more. Serious turnaround for them after last week's result - will be interesting to see how Monaghan fare against Down now. St Mary's scored some great long range points.
Monaghan were very messy and were pretty much cleaned out at midfield. Rory Woods and Dessie Mone shown the line on a yellow card in first half. Ref didn't do Monaghan any favours either, not that it would have made much difference to the result.

FermGael

who did all the scoring for st marys?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Couldn't tell you to be honest. Match programme with no numbers is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

downgirl

Glad to see we can STILL beat the All-Ireland champions  :P

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 11, 2009, 05:16:30 PM
Poor showing from Monaghan today, but St Mary's good value for their win - and could have won by more. Serious turnaround for them after last week's result - will be interesting to see how Monaghan fare against Down now. St Mary's scored some great long range points.
Monaghan were very messy and were pretty much cleaned out at midfield. Rory Woods and Dessie Mone shown the line on a yellow card in first half. Ref didn't do Monaghan any favours either, not that it would have made much difference to the result.

Shock of the day if you ask me !

Maguire01

Probably is, but as you would expect, Monaghan had an experimental side (although did have a good few regulars too) and St Mary's can't have been anywhere near that good against Down last week.

Dubh driocht

Down did well today but Tyrone really ran out of steam in the third quarter.From the home perspective, the defence was the bonus- particularly the new men and the returning Rafferty and Cole. Joe Ireland was MOM at midfield- never stopped for 70 minutes and quality throughout. Michael Magee was the pick of the forwards so plenty to work from-next up Monaghan at Inniskeen on Wednesday.
For Tyrone, Devine wasn't troubled- Peter Donnelly did well enough at FB and you would have expected more from a HB line of Jordan, Cavanagh and Harte. Hughes and Cassidy OK at MF but Down shaded it.Mellon and Mc Gugan didn't look fit, O'Neill showed flashes of genius but was dispossed too easily on at least two occasions.Mc Mahon and Mc Ginley did nothing when they came on.They might struggle against the Ranch in Omagh on Wednesday- it is a good opportunity for Tally to settle a few scores.

Agree about the absence of squad numbers in the programme- poor show Ulster Council - what is the use ?

Pitch held up well, Ref OK - couple of silly ones but let game flow and it did - fair play to both teams.

So far , I've been balanced but have to say, you'll never beat the Down men !

Redhandfan

Not much to write home about in Newry today.  Tyrone did quite well in the first half but died completely in the last twenty minutes which allowed a fitter Down team stroll to a relatively comfortable win in the end.  Up until those last twenty minutes, Peter Donnelly and Sean Cavanagh (yes Sean Cavanagh!!) were manning the centre of Tyrone's defence quite well while Stevie O'Neill was easily the best forward on the field - obviously benefitting somewhat from the fact that he was doing his own bit of training while most of the Tyrone guys were on holiday.

Of the newcomers, Augher midfielder Aidan Cassidy and Stewartstown forward Gareth Devlin did themselves no harm with decent displays.  Cassidy won a fair amount of ball in the first half and used it well, while Devlin showed well and was also on the ball quite a bit during those opening thirty minutes.  However, I would like to think all of the Tyrone players will have benefitted in some way from this first outing of the year.  

Down have amassed a good scoring average in their first two games and should now top this group.  But with St Mary's causing the upset of the day by beating Monaghan, it is still all to play for in this section.  All four teams (if they are interested) still stand a chance of qualifying for the semi-finals!

Just a final word on the south Armagh referee Padraig Hughes.  I thought him a very strange choice to take charge of this game, given his close proximity and previous history with both counties.  However, he actually did a decent enough job and never produced one yellow card in the entire match.  I never thought I would see the day when I would give this gentleman some credit!!