McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: AFS on January 05, 2009, 07:53:32 PM
Quote from: mackers on January 05, 2009, 02:21:56 PM
His shot stopping and ability under the high ball was impressive but some of his kick outs were dodgy

Thought the very same. Although Rodgers is very evidently a great shot stopper, could we afford having a goalie that balloons every kick out a mile in the air but hardly reaches the 45?

Positives for me were Donaghy and Finn Mo looking very comfortable in the FB line, although they'll face much sterner tests in the coming weeks and months; JP Donnelly not looking too out of place either and therefore giving us another option in the HB line, not that we're particularly short on HBs though; Henderson showing alright, but he didn't do enough to dispel the doubts surrounding him but he should get a decent run of games in the FF line all the same; and Conor Clarke when he came on, although far from polished he showed glimpses of skill and did wee things that suggests there's a good county player in him somewhere.

Negatives were most of the new lads not doing a lot; O'Rourke looked nervous and gave away a couple of silly points in the first half; McDonnell tried hard but did little, the same could be said of Feeney; Midfield was, as we're now used to, shite. Mal Mackin scored a few points but that shouldn't paper over the fact that he was totally ineffective in his primary role - as a ball winner, Toner was equally ineffective though.

Noticed from the team photograph in the Examiner today that there were only 23 players togged out, anyone know whats up with the other 7 lads that are supposed to be on the McKenna Cup panel?

All in all not a lot to get excited about I suppose, hopefully the next couple of months won't be as dull.

Only allowed 24 on matchday.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Armamike on January 05, 2009, 07:01:26 PM
Quote from: corn02 on January 05, 2009, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Armamike on January 05, 2009, 12:24:33 PM
The Armagh Antrim game was poor enough.  The positives from Armagh were the new keeper who looked very impressive - good in the air and some great saves. Donaghy was solid at the back and the likes of Moriarity and Shannon when he came on looked very sharp.  Up front there wasnt much to get excited about apart from Henderson. He looked sharp and as others have said, he showed very well for the ball. With a bit of coaching and mentoring he might have something to offer in the league.  Conor Clarke made his mark on the game when he came on late on. Got on the ball a lot and for the most part made some intelligent passes.  He did kick a couple astray though. Again he's another one who's worth another look.  The other new lads who started in the forwards didn't get themselves into the game at all.

I heard Rodgers was exellent. McEvoy will start next week and will need to perform. Good competition.
His shot stopping and ability under the high ball was impressive but some of his kick outs were dodgy, noticed Aidan O'Rourke going into him before one of his kickouts and having a word. Thought Donaghy really stood out and hopefully he gets a good run, Finn mo was good until he went off. The established men didn't go particularly well although Ronan Clarke played better in the 2nd half when he played where he should have. Malachy Mackin showed in glimpses what he is capable of with a few strong runs through the middle but did some silly things also and the Antrim midfield dominated large parts of the game. Henderson showed some good touches of football and is well worth another few games. Thought that Conor Clarke turned the game when he came on as Antrim had dominated the third quarter. He used the ball well.

I don't know what McDonnell was at sticking Clarke out to midfield - he didn't look comfortable at all there and just got in the way of things i thought.  The only position for Ronan is full-forward and he's pretty handy in that role. Mr Versatility he ain't.  It's very early days yet but that type of mindset from McDonnell doesn't fill me with confidence for the year ahead.

I lost any confidence I had in him as last year's Wexford game unfolded!
"Stercus accidit"

thebandit

If these thins are worth trying then Mckenna cup is the place to do it. Look at Cavanagh's free role for Tyrone, that didn't work out too badly!!

mackers

Quote from: Orior on January 05, 2009, 03:29:02 PM
His shot stopping and ability under the high ball was impressive but some of his kick outs were dodgy, noticed Aidan O'Rourke going into him before one of his kickouts and having a word. Thought Donaghy really stood out and hopefully he gets a good run, Finn mo was good until he went off. The established men didn't go particularly well although Ronan Clarke played better in the 2nd half when he played where he should have. Malachy Mackin showed in glimpses what he is capable of with a few strong runs through the middle but did some silly things also and the Antrim midfield dominated large parts of the game. Henderson showed some good touches of football and is well worth another few games. Thought that Conor Clarke turned the game when he came on as Antrim had dominated the third quarter. He used the ball well.

Hmmmm. Interesting.
Go on..........what's the problem with that statement???
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Feckitt

Quote from: corn02 on January 05, 2009, 05:11:44 PM
2300 - Armagh

300 - Cavan

I think 3k at Fermanagh.

Sounds a bit high for the Ferm/Derry game, are you sure?

Any idea of attendance at Donegal/UUJ match?

naka

Quote from: Sandy Hill on January 05, 2009, 10:23:13 PM
The Armagh Antrim game was poor enough.  The positives from Armagh were the new keeper who looked very impressive - good in the air and some great saves. Donaghy was solid at the back and the likes of Moriarity and Shannon when he came on looked very sharp.  Up front there wasnt much to get excited about apart from Henderson. He looked sharp and as others have said, he showed very well for the ball. With a bit of coaching and mentoring he might have something to offer in the league.  Conor Clarke made his mark on the game when he came on late on. Got on the ball a lot and for the most part made some intelligent passes.  He did kick a couple astray though. Again he's another one who's worth another look.  The other new lads who started in the forwards didn't get themselves into the game at all.

i agree sandy hill

I heard Rodgers was exellent. McEvoy will start next week and will need to perform. Good competition.

I don't know what McDonnell was at sticking Clarke out to midfield - he didn't look comfortable at all there and just got in the way of things i thought.  The only position for Ronan is full-forward and he's pretty handy in that role. Mr Versatility he ain't.  It's very early days yet but that type of mindset from McDonnell doesn't fill me with confidence for the year ahead.

I agree sandy hill

never kickt a ball

Quote from: naka on January 06, 2009, 02:13:08 PM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on January 05, 2009, 10:23:13 PM

i agree sandy hill

I agree sandy hill

I get it. Like Tyrone last year you are trying to motivate McDonnell and the Armagh team. Wonder what price McDonnell is for player of the year?

corn02

Quote from: Feckitt on January 06, 2009, 11:12:32 AM
2300 - Armagh

300 - Cavan

I think 3k at Fermanagh.

Very well could be - i pulled that one out of the memory bank so could be wrong. I thought I read it somewhere though.

SidelineKick

Quote from: corn02 on January 06, 2009, 04:05:43 PM
2300 - Armagh

300 - Cavan

I think 3k at Fermanagh.

Very well could be - i pulled that one out of the memory bank so could be wrong. I thought I read it somewhere though.

I was at it and that would seem about right.  I was pleasantly surprised at the crowd there. Good to see!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Malone Aristocrat

Super performance from my alma mater on saturday night. didn't get but the first hand accounts bode well. obviously cavan were very weak and rusty but its no often a uni gives a county tem a hiding and i hear it should have been much more.

i think we could give armagh a real game sunday and possibly beat them. queens are a slick outfit with some quality footballers.

oakleaf stateside

2300 - Armagh

300 - Cavan

I think 3k at Fermanagh.
was there myself not far af 3k and £8 in

Dont Do It

imtommygunn

Malone aristocrat out of interest what way is James Loughrey playing for you boys?

Have only seen him a few times and not sure what to make of him yet.

Three st brigids boys in your panel I see too.

AFS

I assume Aidan O'Rourke will be managing and not playing next weekend?

thebandit

Quote from: AFS on January 06, 2009, 09:37:24 PM
I assume Aidan O'Rourke will be managing and not playing next weekend?

Managing which team?  ;)

Hank Everlast

Is he not still over Queens??