McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Well said PHPearse, if they want to play for Tyrone and not their University, how can Tyrone or Harte get in trouble.  Players choice!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Bottom Brick

Quoteit seems universitiies bend the rules all the time, by paying managers and offering incentives to players

Grrrr! Those nasty universities...

Get your head out of your hole will ya
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

RedKnight

Has there been any word on the emergency ulster council meeting last night? i think if anything does happen tyrone, Mickey and Fergal Logan will have something to say about it, they know the rules but also know the loopholes in them too

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 16, 2007, 10:52:36 AM
Well said PHPearse, if they want to play for Tyrone and not their University, how can Tyrone or Harte get in trouble.  Players choice!

They don't really have much of a choice!!! - Can you imagine if they chose the universitites??

Micky would not have them back in another county squad!

Uladh

Now i'm not sayin yis are all stoopid tyrone inbreds, but...

The rules of the competition are set out in advance of every team electing to enter. The universities were enticed into entering with the guarantee that they could select their strongest possible panel. the idea has been so sucessful that all three of the other provences copied it.

You can dress harte's intrangience up as much as you like but he certainly knew the rules and chose to ignore them.

Tyrone should be thrown out. i understand crozier threatened the same policy before the competition started and the ulster council told him derry would be thrown out if he followed through.

for those of you who think its a simple "sure i'd play for the county ahead of the uni every time" decision, you obviously have no background in or understanding of university football. its only a few weeks til the sigerson competition begins and their preparations would be at full tilt. players know the weight county managers really put behind the mckenna cup and with the absence of emotional blackmail, university players will play for their colleges.

realredhandfan

Uladh the Universities spokesman
let me know when the mask slips to reveal very little but a sour auld Armagh fan with little or no interest in anything but knocking Mickey Harte.  This time last year we got your tongue after the bottle of Omagh. you really showing admirable stretching ability to stretch your arguement a full year and onto a completely different topic.  Well done Armagh must be very proud of you and your elk.

Uladh

I have little or no interest in university football this 5 years or more but it is fun to see harte make an ass of himself. keeps me in craic. like our own egotistical manager, they both just love the attention...

Rois

Quote from: realredhandfan on January 16, 2007, 12:35:04 PM
Well done Armagh must be very proud of you and your elk.

You have an elk?  Didn't realise you were a strange animal lover Uladh.

Sorry, couldn't resist, it made me laugh  ;D

realredhandfan

a very rare and difficult to spot wildlife faux de pas, Rois and uladh, I am humbled to be living amongst the Heaneys - though I think its more Paddy not Seamus.

uselessfootballer

Surely Mickey Harte committed the same sin last year when he kept Rammie Mulgrew out of his uni squad so he could have a look at him.

As it went unremarked last year, you'd wonder why it's got all the fuss and attention this time around?

realredhandfan

I believe that the Ulster Council have cottoned on to what Tyrone have been at for a number of years.  the timing of the Mc kenna cup is more important to Mickey Hartes bi annual Sam Maguire plan than the Ulster championship.  In other words by Tyrone taking the Mc Kenna cup and All ireland championships seriously and not the ulster championship they have weakened the Ulster councils major competition in favour of their weaker competition.  The Ulster council just arent prepared to let this happen 

uselessfootballer

Still, I can't how the Ulster Council can justify the big fuss as they let the same action pass last year. Unless they had officially warned the Tyrone County Board last year on the QT.

RedKnight

Is there a rule for the Mc Kenna cup that states universities 'MUST' be given county players and not just preference? If their is could someone please post it, or better still post the full set of rules. It would be interesting to see everyones interpretation of the rules.

Bogball XV

Can ye Tyronies not have dissenting opinions?  I find it hard to believe that none of ye are capable of independent thought on this subject, c'mon, at least one of you can admit that Harte has been a w**ker about this??

realredhandfan

MC Kenna Cup Rules:
1) thou shalt not play for thy county
2) unless you are too old for university
3) or too young to play for the county
4) A classic case of human rights
5) it might take Feargal to win it
6) If i was Mickey Id bin it..
7) Wonder will there be many at the Cavan UUJ final
8) Should be a cracker!
9) Where the Mc kenna's Tyrone men are did they just play for their University.
10) On behalf of the innocent footballers in all this, Can anybody tell me how many chances they could be expected to get to show their worth for their county.. Surely each is important,  Shame on you all..This is not a rebel poem nor poem at all.