McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

armaghniac

QuoteRoger Casement Park, Belfast.

Which is in Andersonstown.

QuoteAlso a full page spread on Armagh ladies captain Bronagh O'Donnell. Times are a changin

No doubt an attempt by the Newsletter to promote sales in and around Cross', which isn't presently one of their main markets!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

never kickt a ball

Derry v Down
Down manager Ross Carr says winning the Gaelic Life McKenna Cup would be a massive boost for the county.
Carr's side edged out Cavan in an exciting semi-final at Pairc Esler on Tuesday night and now face Derry in Saturday's final at Casement Park.

"The fellows showed they really wanted to get to the final and it is a reward for the hard work they have put in over the last few months," said Carr.

"To win would be huge. Down have had a barren number of years."

Derry reached the decider by beating Fermanagh 2-12 to 1-10 at Omagh on Wednesday.

Like Carr, Derry manager Paddy Crozier has been using the McKenna Cup to assess players pushing for places ahead of the National League campaign.

Both, though, want to go into the season on a winning run and a piece of silverware in the cabinet.

Saturday's final has a 1930GMT throw-in.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7209878.stm

Derry just had too much fire power for Fermanagh, who played well, on Wednesday. Down may be the fresher for this game. Should be an intriguing contest but I fancy Down for the honours.
By the way Hardstation, in order to buy you a drink do you have to get past them gentile, well behaved stewards at Casement Park?  :o

red hander

I can't believe there are 77 pages of this

western exile

Quote from: red hander on January 25, 2008, 07:45:43 PM

Good to see that there is at least one Tyrone person still with an interest in the 2008 McKenna Cup!  ;D

never kickt a ball

Quote from: western exile on January 25, 2008, 08:12:43 PM
Quote from: red hander on January 25, 2008, 07:45:43 PM

Good to see that there is at least one Tyrone person still with an interest in the 2008 McKenna Cup!  ;D

Make that two Tyrone men  :D :D :D:

ONeill

Maybe three - is this the McKenna it's named after?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

southdown

Taken from www.irishnews.com

Down to edge final Dr McKenna Cup final: Derry v Down (tonight, Casement Park, 7.30pm, live on TG4)
By Paddy Heaney

AN Ulster final and Tyrone nor Armagh are nowhere in sight. It might just be a sign of the summer that lies ahead.

It's possible that Derry and Down could meet in the Ulster SFC final on July 20. Considering Tyrone's continued struggles with injuries and retirements, and with Armagh's future unsure - there is room for a new force to emerge. This evening's Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup final in Casement Park will provide some indication of which county is best placed to step into that void.

When the issue has been decided, the losing manager will immediately insist that winning the McKenna Cup was never part of his grand plan. Such statements can be expected and understood.

But make no mistake, this is a final, and no manager, team nor player worth their salt is ambivalent about the outcome of such a game.

Even the finals of club carnivals that are played under the hazy sunshine of a summer evening are fiercely contested.

Neither the team captain of Down (Dan Gordon) nor Kevin McCloy (Derry) started in the midweek semi-final game, but both are expected to line out tonight.

Both Ross Carr and Paddy Crozier will welcome their inclusion. Down struggled at centrefield against Cavan, while Derry's defence endured some shaky moments against Fermanagh, (both Liam Hinphey and Francis McEldowney played despite being dosed with the cold).

The bookies are confident that Kevin McCloy will be the first non-Tyrone man to receive the Cup since 2002. Derry are 4/7 favourites while Down are 7/4.

More than a few punters will be tempted to wager a few shillings on this resurgent Down outfit that has lifted the long-suffering Mourne supporters out of their misery.

Many Down fans are preaching caution while speculating with wild enthusiasm at the same time. After last season, when they failed to win a game in the Dr McKenna Cup and the League, their newfound fervour is entirely understandable.

Five goals against Donegal. Three victories on the trot. Many factors lie behind the recent upturn in fortunes. Senior players have been revitalised after being switched to new positions. John Clarke has been a revelation in the forward line, scoring six points in his last two outings. Liam Doyle has looked the part at centre half-back.

And there are the new players. Ciaran McGovern, Gary McArdle, John Fegan, Kevin McKernan and Colm Murney have all registered heartening displays.

And while Down are the outsiders, they should be much fitter than Derry. Ross Carr's men have been in hard training since October. They spent one weekend in Annaclone GAA club, staying overnight in the hall in sleeping bags before training early the next morning. During their trip to Portugal, they trained three times a day. Paddy Crozier's men didn't return to collective training until mid-December. Even then, a few experienced players were granted extra time off.

Down are preparing for a pressure-ridden Division Three campaign. The two teams relegated from Division Three will lose their place in the qualifiers and automatically enter the Tommy Murphy Cup. There is less at stake for Paddy Crozier in the League. He will want to maintain Division One status, but his plan will be to choreograph Derry's run so they peak against Donegal on June 1.

Bearing in mind the context with which both teams are entering this final, Down represent a shrewd bet. They will view this game as perfect preparation for the must-win games that await them in the NFL.

Derry may hold an advantage in terms of individual talent, but Down's superior fitness levels and will-to-win could cause a shock for the bookmakers.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: southdown on January 26, 2008, 01:54:07 PM
Ross Carr's men have been in hard training since October. They spent one weekend in Annaclone GAA club, staying overnight in the hall in sleeping bags before training early the next morning.

If Down are successful this year everyone will  be at it. Then O'Neills will get into the act and sell sleeping bags while some teams' will go on to have initialled sleeping bags, You know MH or BMI etc. Every GAA Club will be in the market to rent out their halls to County  teams......

screenexile

Anybody know if this match is on the wireless tonight.

Rav67

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2008, 07:03:03 PM
Anybody know if this match is on the wireless tonight.

http://www.tg4.tv/

I think you can actually watch it online via this link, thats what I'm hoping anyway. 

screenexile

Sorry Rav I meant the radio as it does my nut listening to TG4, I was hoping to stream some commentary ás Béarla so I can get the whole interactive experience.

Maguire01

Anyone else not getting TG4 on virginmedia up north?

J70

The problem with streaming two different sources is that they may not be in sync.

J70

Its coming through loud and clear in NYC!