McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inisceithleann

We'll definitely still put out a young enough team on Wednesday. As the other ernemen have said it's all about preparing for the NFL and Championship. Winning the McKenna Cup and still being out of everything by July would still be another disappointing season.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Armagh4SamAgain

Mr McDonnell hasnt dun anything to be prod of yet and if he doesnt get it sorted out soon well be in a mess whne it comes to the league. Wats his best team. he doesnt no yret and he needs to no that v soon or else were stuffed. I dont think were the worset team in the Mckenna cup but i think we might have put out a weaken team to fool everybody. THAT WAS RONG!! Mr McDonnell culd be good but he needs sum one to help him get the best out of his player. i think geezer shold come back an help hiom as his no 2. He nose the players in the dressin room and that inportent.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

orangeman

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on January 20, 2008, 07:54:30 PM
Mr McDonnell hasnt dun anything to be prod of yet and if he doesnt get it sorted out soon well be in a mess whne it comes to the league. Wats his best team. he doesnt no yret and he needs to no that v soon or else were stuffed. I dont think were the worset team in the Mckenna cup but i think we might have put out a weaken team to fool everybody. THAT WAS RONG!! Mr McDonnell culd be good but he needs sum one to help him get the best out of his player. i think geezer shold come back an help hiom as his no 2. He nose the players in the dressin room and that inportent.

;D ;D ;D ;D

orangeman

gerry

QuoteWinning the McKenna Cup and still being out of everything by July would still be another disappointing season.

how can you say that. i think that winning the mc kenna cup would be a great boost for fermanagh and their supporters.  its being a long time since fermanagh being at a final.

Btw, it will be all over by july along with many other counties
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Bacon

Good to see Down making a wee bit of progress. Two wins in the McKenna Cup in January is nothing to get carried away with but it's still progress for a county that has been performing so poorly recently. Let's hope it gives us a lift going into the league.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

never kickt a ball

Down at home to Cavan
21 January 2008

Old rivals Cavan and Down clash for a place in the final of this season's Dr. McKenna Cup when the sides meet in Pairc Esler, Newry on Tuesday, 22nd of January at 8pm. Despite being a mid-week game the match is sure to attract a big attendance to the newly-refurbished Newry venue. The teams will be going all-out for a place in the final against either Derry or Fermanagh who meet in the second semi-final the following night (Wednesday), 23rd of January at Healy Park in Omagh also at 8pm.

Down go into Tuesday nights game on the back of two very impressive wins over Donegal and UUJ - both games played at the Newry venue - and no doubt, they will be hoping for a hat-trick of victories against a Cavan side who reserved their best form in the competition at home with wins over Monaghan and Queen's in Kingspan/Breffni Park. They went under to Antrim in a close second round game at Casement Park - a match they almost got something from in the dying minutes.

Down after a sun holiday break opened their McKenna Cup campaign away to Tyrone in Healy Park, Omagh and despite matching the home side in most facets of play went down in the end due to a cutting edge in their play in front of goal.

To their credit they 'turned it around' in tremendous fashion in their last two games at Newry outscoring Donegal and scoring five goals into the bargain, while in the clash with a strong UUJ side they put up an impressive 1-15 total, while conceding 0-14.

Cavan will be the fresher side going into the game on Tuesday evening, as Down have played three games in a short space of time - and physically that may come against them on this occasion. However, they have the advantage of playing at home - and it does mean a lot. They seem to be getting a settled side into the bargain.

Manager Ross Carr is delighted with the way his side have played in the competition. "We started the competition below-par away to Tyrone. However, to the credit of the players they 'turned it around' and now they are playing with a lot of confidence. However, the game with Cavan is another big test for what is basically a young and untried side. We are expecting another close battle, and hopefully, we can do ourselves justice on the evening.''

The Cavan side showed plenty of character and determination when defeating Queen's in deplorable weather conditions last time out in Kingspan/Breffni Park. On that occasion a number of the new players showed up well. It is expected that a few of the more experienced players may be available for to-morrow night in Newry - a game that has all the makings of an interesting clash between two sides who like to play open football.
Down with home advantage will start slight favourites. However, Cavan sides down the years have always reserved their best form for clashes with the Mourne county. Hopefully, this will be the case on Tuesday night.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=88032

How come Down got home advantage in this match?

never kickt a ball

Given that when Down played UUJ no radio station was interested you might get some commentary from a Cavan perspective from this crowd:

http://northernsound.ie/listen.php

Any special guests in Newry tonight? Paisley, Bush, Clinton.........?

Caitlin

NKAB
There was commentary on the Down-UUJ game provided by Jack Devaney and Jerry Quinn- good it was too.

Our Nail Loney

Cant seem to get any odds on the match tonight? Ragin wanted to stick a bit on Down! I suppose I could make up my own price but there's no fun in that!

passedit

Quote from: Caitlin on January 22, 2008, 06:06:26 PM
NKAB
There was commentary on the Down-UUJ game provided by Jack Devaney and Jerry Quinn- good it was too.

Would that be available over the internet? Five or something is it?
Don't Panic