Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 12, 2023, 09:46:00 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on January 11, 2023, 10:12:54 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2023, 09:33:09 PM
Quote from: full moon on January 11, 2023, 09:25:22 PM
Tyrone Vs Down
Derry Vs Cavan

Assuming these aren't televised on TG4? Thought I remember Armagh Monaghan being on last year, maybe it's just the final they could show.

Another paid stream it is probably.
Remember the days we used to give off about paying a monthly sub to Setanta to watch a few NFL games, now we throw out £5ers and £10ers (& more) to watch club & county. The GAA is more expensive than Sky & BT combined.

Ack, its fine. It's not a monthly charge all year. Takes effort to stream and commentate on it, and I'd happily pay. Its the price of a ticket without needing to travel. It's a way to see it, where there wasn't before, so I'm happy with it as an option

To be honest, I find it better value that going. I was going to go to some of the games, £10 for adults (16+) and £3 for kids. For me to go and take the kids tickets cost me £45. Then add in the price of diesel you're at £60-£70 for a pre-season game. Too costly.
So £10 to watch at home is ok with me, especially on a cold wet Jan night.

Derry v Tyrone was really a game of 2 halves. Though it looks like weather conditions contributed heavily to that, with Derry taking only short frees within the 45 in the first half. In the 2nd half Tyrone missed a few "easy" frees at that same end.
The game had a bit of bite and excitment in the last 20.
I really wasn't expecting Derry to get much from this game but they really stepped it up and Laclan Murray has followed up a good game against Fermanagh with another fine performance. Hopefully that continues this year.

Defensively, both teams set up similarly.
Tyrone seemed to have a bit more in attack, but Derry's running game eventually wore down the Tyrone defence.

Fitness seems to have improved even from the Fermanagh game, and given they've only been training since December they are in decent shape.

Tyrone look like they've started to shake off the poor year last year. I'd expect to see a stronger side this year. They had a defender, McCarron I think, did and excellent job on MgGuigan, looks like he could be a find. The Jones brothers didnt even get a sub appearance even though one of them got motm the last game which I found strange.

I didn't really catch much of the melee on the camera, but it did look like someone on the Tyrone management team was getting involved in verbals with a Derry player. No idea what the red was for, perhaps contributing to a melee? Yellow par for the course in these sorts of things and with McKinless already on a yellow he can prob have no complaints about a 2nd.

I see the semi line up is Down v Derry and Cavan v Tyrone. Last night it was Down v Tyrone and Derry v Cavan. What happened there? Is it an open draw for the semis?
No big deal, just wondering.

Good to get another competitive game before the league starts.

If it's £10 for McKenna Cup I am worried what they're going to charge for the league and Ulster games. £5 is more than enough at this stage. It was great to see Jerome doing the Sigerson game the other day on Youtube for free!

Wildweasel74

How much in to attend the game? £10 online for a McKenna cup simply to much. There alot of money been made in the GAA for a amateur organisation. Doubt the tax man be having a closer look down the line.

square_ball

Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2023, 09:33:09 PM
Quote from: full moon on January 11, 2023, 09:25:22 PM
Tyrone Vs Down
Derry Vs Cavan

Assuming these aren't televised on TG4? Thought I remember Armagh Monaghan being on last year, maybe it's just the final they could show.

Another paid stream it is probably.
Remember the days we used to give off about paying a monthly sub to Setanta to watch a few NFL games, now we throw out £5ers and £10ers (& more) to watch club & county. The GAA is more expensive than Sky & BT combined.

Yeah nobody worried about poor wee 85 year old Jimmy down the road who has given his life to GAA who can't watch these games for free. Or was it just because it was sky that people were giving off?

armaghniac

If you are a GAA fan then the availability is the thing, if you went to the game then you would also have to pay. The initial problem with Sky wss that people did not have did not have dishes and those that had were soccer fans. There will be as many games on free to air TV this year as there ever was, the likes of the McKenna cup was never on TV.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

toby47

Guys, get a firestick/IPTV.

Around £40 for a year. All McKenna cup games live on it..GAA Go..the full works.

You will even be able to cancel your Netflix subscription and any other TV service you pays for as absolutely everything is on it.

the goal was on

Derry only training from december someone said!! Your having a laugh, been back a long time before that. Sessions even ongoing when clubs were going so no surprise they were full of running at end. Both teams looked in very good nick for this time of year. Down/Armagh will be along same lines. Its gonna be a long intense 6 months so interesting to see how teams cope.

armaghniac

Quote from: toby47 on January 12, 2023, 10:37:47 AM

Around £40 for a year. All McKenna cup games live on it..GAA Go..the full works.

You will even be able to cancel your Netflix subscription and any other TV service you pays for as absolutely everything is on it.

You are not much of a GAA fan if you pay other people to steal their content.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on January 12, 2023, 10:43:49 AM

Just right to. Robbing huers.

Link

what's the section / channel called?

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 12, 2023, 10:46:25 AM

Exactly who is robbing you? Go to the game and pay in , watch it now that's available to watch or don't. You think clubs charging £3 / £5 into games are robbing hoors too? You must think the GAA runs on fresh air.

square_ball

Quote from: the goal was on on January 12, 2023, 10:42:53 AM
Derry only training from december someone said!! Your having a laugh, been back a long time before that. Sessions even ongoing when clubs were going so no surprise they were full of running at end. Both teams looked in very good nick for this time of year. Down/Armagh will be along same lines. Its gonna be a long intense 6 months so interesting to see how teams cope.

Yeah I would imagine the vast majority of teams/players will have been training flat to the tin for the past 3 months at least both individually and collectively. The training dates the GAA publish are barely worth the paper they are written on.

JimStynes

Quote from: JoG2 on January 12, 2023, 10:56:20 AM

Exactly who is robbing you? Go to the game and pay in , watch it now that's available to watch or don't. You think clubs charging £3 / £5 into games are robbing hoors too? You must think the GAA runs on fresh air.

Clubs don't charge into friendlies. I just feel £10 for a stream for glorified friendlies is too much. They'll get plenty of time to make their tenners for their streams during the league and club championship games.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 12, 2023, 10:18:05 AM
How much in to attend the game? £10 online for a McKenna cup simply to much. There alot of money been made in the GAA for a amateur organisation. Doubt the tax man be having a closer look down the line.

It is what it is. Set-up of streaming equipment, commentators, and everything else takes a bit of money. If a fella, the missus, and the kids went, it'd be nearly £30 in before travel. £10 for all of them in the living room and no travel isn't a bad deal. Anyway, no one is forcing people to watch. I think it's a good deal considering they're not broadcasters and likely covering costs

Saffrongael

Quote from: JimStynes on January 12, 2023, 11:11:06 AM

Clubs don't charge into friendlies. I just feel £10 for a stream for glorified friendlies is too much. They'll get plenty of time to make their tenners for their streams during the league and club championship games.

Yep, £10 in for what are friendlies on steroids
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Dreadnought

Quote from: JimStynes on January 12, 2023, 11:11:06 AM

It's Ulster GAA who runs it, so they can hardly make it back in league and club games. Would have to get something back to cover costs right now considering it's decent production values, commentators and so on. Pay it or don't, it's the price of one adult ticket, and all the family can watch.