McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: lenny on January 19, 2017, 03:38:37 PM
Quote from: westbound on January 19, 2017, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on January 19, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 18, 2017, 10:57:16 PM
Am I right in saying that Armagh's scoring average actually went down after their 3 point win tonight. Before the game it was 43/28= 1.714 and afterwards it was 61/42=1.45? Seems a strange method to use to decide placings.

I disagree, scoring average is probably the best decision method as in considers both your attacking (for) and defensive strengths (against).

does scoring average not encourage defensive play?

based on my maths, you are better off winning low scoring matches than high scoring matches!

e.g. For 10 points
against 5 points
Average = 2

To get an average of 2 with a high scoring game would mean you have to win by a bigger margin to keep the same average.
e.g. if you scored 30 points, you would have to win the game by 15 points to get an average of 2.

Personally, I don't see the logic in using averages instead of scoring difference.

Am I missing something?

Correct, if you win every game by 0.2 to 0.1 you would have an average of 2.0 even though you only have a points difference of +3.  Also is it possible to calculate an average if you keep the other team scoreless?

Agreed lads - good points..

tyroneman

Turgid game in Clones v Fermanagh.

Forwards had very little space on either side, Tyrone just about deserved the win but credit to Fermanagh, they started brightly and with some better shooting could have made this much more uncomfortable.

Sludden and mcCurry best for Tyrone. McNulty did ok but tends to charge down blind alleys at times into 4 or 5 men. Sometimes you get the free from that, sometimes not.

Big Quigley was impressive stroking the ball over off the ground from 45+, looked like he put no effort into the kicks but they just glided over. 

Fermanagh tackling and disposession was excellent. Turned Tyrone over on numerous occasions.

McShane wasnt great in the FF role but there will be better days ahead for him I'm sure. McKenna was ok, nothing spectacular.

Big Sean had a mare in the 10min he was on. Lost possession several times and got himself booked. Didn't come back out for second half, although Colm (who Sean replaced) did, do must have been a blood sub.

Brennan worked hard and there is definitely a good player there.

Was there much really learned from the Tyrone side? Not really.

omagh_gael

FermGael

I have no idea where they got that fella Mooney from in Cavan but he ruined that game.
Far to fussy , didn't let the game flow and made some very questionable calls throughout the game.

Decent enough game but Fermanagh kicked too many wides.  We made poor decisioms at crucial times and gave the ball away far too easily.  The only positive we can take from it is that we didn't roll over but we have to start stepping up against the better teams. Too easy to take a morale victory.
Though Sludden at chf was excellent as was P Harte.

I wonder what idiot decided a Derry V Tyrone final should be fixed for Newry on a Saturday night ?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

BennyCake

It's up to you now Derry, to stop the "Dicks for Six".

Throw ball

Quote from: FermGael on January 22, 2017, 06:42:41 PM
I have no idea where they got that fella Mooney from in Cavan but he ruined that game.
Far to fussy , didn't let the game flow and made some very questionable calls throughout the game.

Decent enough game but Fermanagh kicked too many wides.  We made poor decisioms at crucial times and gave the ball away far too easily.  The only positive we can take from it is that we didn't roll over but we have to start stepping up against the better teams. Too easy to take a morale victory.
Though Sludden at chf was excellent as was P Harte.

I wonder what idiot decided a Derry V Tyrone final should be fixed for Newry on a Saturday night ?

Armagh unavailable due to club All Ireland semi finals on Sunday.

BennyCake

Why didn't they flip a coin, Owenbeg or Omagh? Stupid bringing people from the likes of Dungiven to Newry on a winter evening.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyCake on January 22, 2017, 06:49:30 PM
Why didn't they flip a coin, Owenbeg or Omagh? Stupid bringing people from the likes of Dungiven to Newry on a winter evening.

We should all just meet on the Sperrins and knock the fcuk out of each other. Whoever bring homes the most Tyrone scalps is the winner

redhandefender

Quote from: theticklemister on January 22, 2017, 07:01:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 22, 2017, 06:49:30 PM

We should all just meet on the Sperrins and knock the fcuk out of each other. Whoever bring homes the most Tyrone scalps is the winner

lol

skeog

Agree the venue is a disgrace not be to many at it imo.

Ty4Sam

Ballybofey another option, unreal its in Newry. Ulster Convention on in Burren on Saturday so it's being held locally so the 'suits' don't have to travel! Unbelievable!

ONeill

Should be held in Ballinderry.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

Quote from: Ty4Sam on January 22, 2017, 07:15:45 PM
Ballybofey another option, unreal its in Newry. Ulster Convention on in Burren on Saturday so it's being held locally so the 'suits' don't have to travel! Unbelievable!

There u go

StGallsGAA

Ballybofey would be handy enough in January alright....not!   

theticklemister

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 22, 2017, 09:25:40 PM

Ballybofey would be handy enough in January alright....not!

I don't think you'd have to worry about it.................................