McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 25, 2016, 07:06:22 PM
QuoteThe problem for McCann is that he received absolutely no criticism from within his own county re hairgate. In fact he became almost hero worshipped for his actions - facebook and twitter support groups were set up and so hence he will continue his diving antics as he knows not only is it accepted within his own county, it seems to be lauded.

Complete nonsense. but I understand this is a trying time for you.

I have posted this before and I still await anyone who can post me a link to a tyrone person condemning McCann's dive. There was plenty of condemnation from elsewhere but tyrone people circled the wagons and stuck up for their man.

Tammy Wynette was a Tyrone fan too apparently.
The lovely queen of c&w Tammy would also have a degree of familiarity with Tyrone, having grown up in Whitetrash, Mississippi.

On McCann, I never thought I would say this, but I am beginning to miss the pint sized runt, Penrose.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 07:41:36 PM
QuoteThe problem for McCann is that he received absolutely no criticism from within his own county re hairgate. In fact he became almost hero worshipped for his actions - facebook and twitter support groups were set up and so hence he will continue his diving antics as he knows not only is it accepted within his own county, it seems to be lauded.

I have posted this before and I still await anyone who can post me a link to a tyrone person condemning McCann's dive. There was plenty of condemnation from elsewhere but tyrone people circled the wagons and stuck up for their man.

Funny to read tyrone people on here now saying they condemned mccann at the time. To be honest I didn't read any of that condemnation and noone has reposted their comments from the time. What I was talking about was public condemnation from explayers and prominent gaa figures from tyrone. I read and heard plenty of them condemn the stick that mccann was getting but none of them came out and said what mccann did was completely in the wrong. I was watching out for that because it is that sort of public condemnation which influences people not to copy or repeat repugnant behaviour.

I hope you Derry ones are lining up to condemn your managers embarrassing antics on Saturday night! I'd suggest getting your own glass house in order before throwing stones.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 25, 2016, 08:16:42 PM

Funny to read tyrone people on here now saying they condemned mccann at the time. To be honest I didn't read any of that condemnation and noone has reposted their comments from the time. What I was talking about was public condemnation from explayers and prominent gaa figures from tyrone. I read and heard plenty of them condemn the stick that mccann was getting but none of them came out and said what mccann did was completely in the wrong. I was watching out for that because it is that sort of public condemnation which influences people not to copy or repeat repugnant behaviour.

I hope you Derry ones are lining up to condemn your managers embarrassing antics on Saturday night! I'd suggest getting your own glass house in order before throwing stones.

I have no problem saying barton was totally out of order. Still waiting for you to say mccann was totally out of order.

screenexile

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2016, 12:42:23 AM
Wasn't at it but just heard bits and pieces. On the schemozzle yeah it was a wreckless tackle a yellow card but nothing more, the dive was a bit much for me but McNamee deserved his second yellow as well regardless, McKinless is close to the Loughshore so your own nonsense may have rubbed off on him. Barton coming running over was a bit ridiculous but I wasn't sad to see McCarron getting sent off as he well deserved it.

In term of Barton running over it looked like a bit of fire and passion and if it instills it into our lads then fair enough.

All in all we should have closed the game out and we also shouldn't have disappeared in Extra time.  Wouldn't read a whole pile into it for Championship save to say it will be tighter than many around the Country think. Tyrone for their run last year aren't as good as made out and I'd still fancy Donegal and Monaghan against them in Ulster. We aren't as bad as shown last year and I think Barton and Scullion will lift the whole team. We won't win Ulster and we may not win thr first round but I think we'll give the Tymoanies a real rattle!

I don't see why he should be condemned he ran over and didn't actually do anything like I said it was ridiculous and there was really no need but I'm not sure why it should be condemned. McCann elbowed a guy causing him to have surgery and 14 stitches. . . they are hardly the same thing!!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 08:33:27 PM

I have no problem saying barton was totally out of order. Still waiting for you to say mccann was totally out of order.

So would you feel Barton should be handed a 8 week ban then? If he was given that punishment would you defend him or accept that it was appropriate? Most right thinking posters here from Tyrone, including me, called McCanns dive for was what it was. The defence of him was regarding the outrageous over reaction from the media and proposed 8 week ban that was actually against the rules of the organisation. I don't understand how you can't separate those two things?

Maybe the whole of the Derry public coming out and condemning Barton's behavior will stop this repugnant behaviour from him in the future, We'll wait and see!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 25, 2016, 08:46:57 PM

So you feel Barton should be handed and 8 week ban then? If he was given that punishment would you defend him or accept that it was appropriate? Most right thinking posters here from Tyrone, including me, called McCanns dive for was what it was. The defence of him was regarding the outrageous over reaction from the media and proposed 8 week ban that was actually against the rules of the organisation. I don't understand how you can't separate those two things?

Maybe the whole of the Derry public coming out and condemning Barton's behavior will stop this repugnant behaviour from him in the future, We'll wait and see!

Barton was out of order but you couldnt call his behaviour repugnant. He will get the appropriate punishment and will accept it like a man unlike the numerous tyrone players who have employed fergal to get their bans overturned. Mccanns behaviour on the other hand was unquestionably repugnant both for the dive and for his cowardly elbow on sat evening.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 08:53:35 PM

So you feel Barton should be handed and 8 week ban then? If he was given that punishment would you defend him or accept that it was appropriate? Most right thinking posters here from Tyrone, including me, called McCanns dive for was what it was. The defence of him was regarding the outrageous over reaction from the media and proposed 8 week ban that was actually against the rules of the organisation. I don't understand how you can't separate those two things?

Barton was out of order but you couldnt call his behaviour repugnant. He will get the appropriate punishment and will accept it like a man unlike the numerous tyrone players who have employed fergal to get their bans overturned. Mccanns behaviour on the other hand was unquestionably repugnant both for the dive and for his cowardly elbow on sat evening.

So you are defending Barton now? So you see how this internet thing works now?

Mikhailov

Believe me Lenny - Feargal has done many a good turn for Derry players both at county and club level in recent past. Don't be so quick to ridicule !!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 25, 2016, 08:55:09 PM

How am i defending hm? I said he was out of order and should be punished accordingly. You have still failed to say mccann was out of order for his dive or cowardly elbow.

trueblue1234

I posted quotes above showing Tyrones posters feelings on McCann, including my own. As I said earlier, I'll forgive your as I know the turmoil you Derry Wans are under at the minute. Must be hard to concentrate.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 09:05:47 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 25, 2016, 08:55:09 PM

How am i defending hm? I said he was out of order and should be punished accordingly. You have still failed to say mccann was out of order for his dive or cowardly elbow.

Your manager runs 60 yards to push an opposition player. I find this repugnant. (Your word) Another player sprints 60 yards to slide tackle a player who could easily have been bending down to pick up the ball, when pushed he falls to the ground holding his face to get another player sent off. I find this repugnant. The same player kicks away a ball off the tee, cheating to run down the clock to win a pointless pre season game, not in itself repugnant but certainly terrible sportsmanship and uncalled for. However, in my view his action was to incite a reaction and get further men sent off. I find this repugnant.

If every poster from every county was called upon to condemn every incident then there'd not be much more else to read. Again, for your benefit Lenny, McCanns dive was repugnant as was the media witch hunt afterwards. His incident on Saturday, whilst having an unfortunate outcome, was reckless but no more or no less than other incidents in the game, especially that sliding tackle which your compatriots are not prepared to condemn in the same way you expect us to condemn McCann.

never kickt a ball

Can I just squeeze this report in the middle of all these demands for condemnation....

That's some substitute activity below

McKenna Cup final: Red Hands find that bit extra
23 January 2016

Tyrone 1-22
Derry 1-17
(after extra-time)

Tyrone are celebrating a record breaking fifth Dr McKenna Cup success in-a-row following a drama filled final against Derry at the Athletic Grounds tonight.

Extra-time was required to separate the sides and a return of six points without reply during the first period of extra-time sent the Red Hands on the road to victory.

In front of an official attendance of 7,143, Darren McCurry applied the gloss to their performance when converting a penalty three minutes from time.

Tempers flared in the closing stages of normal time and Tyrone lost the services of Cathal McCarron (red card) and Ronan McNamee (two yellows). Daniel McKinless (two yellows) and manager Damian Barton were sent off for the Oak Leafers.

Derry appeared to have one hand on the silverware when holding a three point lead but they were left cursing their luck after late points from Conor Meyler (2) and McCurry sent the decider into extra-time.

The scoreboard read Tyrone 0-15, Derry 1-12 at the end of the regulation 70 minutes. Ryan Bell had netted the game's opening goal in the 30th minute and, as a result, Derry enjoyed a 1-5 to 0-4 lead at the halfway stage.

Tyrone substitute Conor McAliskey and Emmet Bradley traded points at the start of the second-half and Niall Sludden set up a grandstand finish when getting the holders men back on level terms – 0-12 to 1-9 – with 10 minutes to play.

Derry's response was to kick three unanswered points from Enda Lynn (2) and Conor Kearns but the Red Hands refused to throw in the towel and their perseverance was rewarded.

Tyrone - N Morgan; C McCarron, R McNamee, HP McGeary (0-1); T McCann (0-1), J McMahon, B Tierney; C Cavanagh, C Clarke; H Og Conlan, M Donnelly, C McShane (0-3); L Brennan (0-4, 2f), R O'Neill (0-1), P Quinn.

Subs: P McNulty for C Clarke, C McAliskey (0-3f) for P Quinn, C Meyler (0-3, 1f) for H Og Conlan, D McCurry (1-3, 1-0pen, 0-1f) for R O'Neill, N Sludden (0-2) for J McMahon, J Munroe (0-1) for C McShane, K McGeary, C McCann, P Hampsey for B Tierney, C McShane for HP McGeary.

Derry - T Mallon; M Craig, C Mullan, K McKaigue; G McKinless, C McKaigue, D Heavron; B Rogers, E Bradley (0-2); E Lynn (0-3), J Kielt (0-3, 2f), B Heron; S Heavron, C O'Boyle (0-1f), R Bell (1-1, 0-1f).

Subs: C McAtamney (0-1) for B Rogers, C Bradley (0-1) for S Heavron, O Duffy (0-1) for M Craig, C Kearns (0-2) for B Heron, D McKinless for R Bell, N Forrester (0-1) for G McKinless, G McKinless, G McWilliams (0-1f) for J Kielt, P Quinn for D Heavron, S Mulgrew for C Kearns.

Referee - N Mooney.

http://hoganstand.com/Derry/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=249368

never kickt a ball

Scullion takes positives from defeat
25 January 2016

Enda Lynn of Derry and Mattie Donnelly of Tyrone
Derry assistant manager Tony Scullion felt Saturday's McKenna Cup final extra-time defeat to Tyrone was ideal preparation for the upcoming Allianz League.

Despite Brendan Rogers requiring 14 stitches to a facial gash and the excellent Enda Lynn sustaining a broken ankle, Scullion insisted that the positives outweighed the negatives.

"You can train seven days a week, but that will beat any training session 10 times over," he said in the Irish News.

"It was absolutely brilliant, but I am just disappointed with our injuries. We need everybody available for us in the League. That's where you need depth to the panel. There were a number of lads there making their debut for Derry. When Damian [Barton] came in here to take the team he said that.

"Everyone was welcomed to come to trials in Owenbeg and we had a number of weekends of trials  and clubs sent a number of players they thought were good enough for the Oak Leaf jersey."

Scullion launched a stout defence of the Derry manager who declined to speak to the media after being sent to the stand for getting involved in a second half incident.

"Whatever happened on the line, Damian Barton is there for the love of the game. He is a great Derry man," the 1993 All-Ireland winning corner back added.

http://hoganstand.com/Derry/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=249449

never kickt a ball

Ulster chiefs may launch McKenna Cup final probe
25 January 2016

Ulster Council chiefs will trawl through the contents of referee Noel Mooney's report before deciding whether or not to launch an investigation into the second half melee that overshadowed last Saturday's thrilling McKenna Cup final.

The Cavan match official sent off Tyrone's Cathal McCarron and Ronan McNamee on straight red and second yellow cards respectively, while Derry's Daniel McKinless was also ordered off on a second yellow and manager Damian Barton was banished to the stand following the flashpoint.

Ulster GAA President Martin McAviney told the Irish News: "I know it's a standard answer but if there's anything untoward it'll show up in the referee's report. Everything waits until whatever comes in from those games - it's a game that went to extra-time, so everybody was busy - players, management, officials.

"I haven't seen any footage to comment, but the referee and his officials were down at the incident in the corner and I'd be happy they dealt with whatever happened and if they report something we'll deal with it as well."

He added: "It was a good game played at championship pace. Right to the end we thought Derry had won it and then it went to extra-time and overall it was a mighty game."

http://hoganstand.com/Derry/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=249429

omaghjoe

Jaysus Im kinda ragin that things got so mad on here with the inbreds and I missed out on it.

Just watched the highlights on bbc there and read thru this thread, looked like a great game. Thought Scullion comments afterwards where spot on just two teams goin at it hell for leather. Injuries where unfortunate McCann looked to be completely going for the ball, just one of those things.

At the same time it must be seriously sickening for the inbreds to commit so fully into putting a marker down against Tyrone twice and end up on their ass both times. Indeed Barton's charge and dump was maybe a very good analogy for Derrys effort in these two matches