McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

Quote from: screenexile on January 25, 2016, 12:42:10 AM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 25, 2016, 12:21:25 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 24, 2016, 10:59:48 PM
I suspect the Derry management will blow every incident from Saturday nights game and potential incidents from the upcoming league game out of all proportion in the media over the the coming weeks. Emmett McGuckin already dipped his toe into this tactic with the comments about Mickey sending Cathal McCarron on to get him sent off. They know the media will jump all over these sort of things regarding Tyrone and by the time the Championship comes around such a frenzy will be created that any self respecting referee will head to Celtic Park to teach Tyrone a lesson by ignoring all claims for frees and sending off as many Tyrone players as he can.

Derry will kick the shite out of Tyrone knowing they will get away with blue murder against the big bad Tyrone machine and win by a point. The perfect plan by Barton who will be lauded as a genius.

It'll all backfire though as Tyrone lift Sam again by our favoured backdoor route and Derry lose to Cavan next time out and Wicklow in a qualifier.

A path well worn by a few of our Ulster friends. While they're using every avenue of media to whinge at the minute I predict that come championship time they will be refusing to speak to the media creating a seige mentality.............

The way you lads don't speak to RTE??!!! :o :o :o

At least they want to speak to us, yous boys are well gone by the time rte get interested in ulster!

DennistheMenace

Quote from: redhandefender on January 25, 2016, 08:41:59 AM
I suspect the Derry management will blow every incident from Saturday nights game and potential incidents from the upcoming league game out of all proportion in the media over the the coming weeks. Emmett McGuckin already dipped his toe into this tactic with the comments about Mickey sending Cathal McCarron on to get him sent off. They know the media will jump all over these sort of things regarding Tyrone and by the time the Championship comes around such a frenzy will be created that any self respecting referee will head to Celtic Park to teach Tyrone a lesson by ignoring all claims for frees and sending off as many Tyrone players as he can.

Derry will kick the shite out of Tyrone knowing they will get away with blue murder against the big bad Tyrone machine and win by a point. The perfect plan by Barton who will be lauded as a genius.

It'll all backfire though as Tyrone lift Sam again by our favoured backdoor route and Derry lose to Cavan next time out and Wicklow in a qualifier.

A path well worn by a few of our Ulster friends. While they're using every avenue of media to whinge at the minute I predict that come championship time they will be refusing to speak to the media creating a seige mentality.............

At least they want to speak to us, yous boys are well gone by the time rte get interested in ulster!

Ironically Tyrone were actually the first team out in Ulster last year..

AI a different competition.

BennyHarp

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 25, 2016, 09:23:04 AM
Quote from: redhandefender on January 25, 2016, 08:41:59 AM

Ironically Tyrone were actually the first team out in Ulster last year..

AI a different competition.

But were the last team in Ulster still standing come the business end of the year. This has been the case for 2 out of the last 3 years, you know?
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2016, 10:31:59 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 24, 2016, 10:24:53 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2016, 10:19:41 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 24, 2016, 10:18:01 PM
Anyone who thinks the McCann challenge is a red card should forget about ever going to a game of football.

He jumped into a player leading with his elbow causing the player to get 14 stitches...on what planet is that not a red card?? He got a man sent off for rubbing his f**king head!!!
The injury the player picked up, while awful is irrelevant to whether its a red card or not, as is McCanns previous history of transgressions .

Im sorry lads, thats not a red in a million years

Jumping into a player leading with the elbow and connecting with his head is a clear red card all day long. It's also a dirty and cowardly act!!

It's a bad act to jump into a man's chest when he's wide open like that.
Very dangerous.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Walter Cronc

Apologies for the comparison but in rugby you aren't allowed to jump into the tackle. In this case McCann jumps into Rogers and his elbow has collided with his mouth. I wouldn't put it in the same category as the Kennelly incident on Murphy but it was dangerous and negligent nonetheless.

If there was such a policy in place I'd give McCann a one game ban and that would be it.

WT4E

What is McCann at?

I actually tried to defend him with the Monaghan incident but he's done it again on Saturday night and nots the only time since Monaghan game. If I was him I'd be trying to stay on my feet even if big Sucky Bell was boxing the head of me!

And on another note - whats Mickeys policies on sunbeds? McCann is surely frequenting them a bit too much too!  ::)

smort

Think you have got that spot on Walter

Main Street

Quote from: Any craic on January 23, 2016, 11:02:23 PM
See some of the mayhem from tonight in this one-minute video..
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/01/23/news/mckenna-cup-final-tyrone-v-derry-391922/?param=ds441rif44T
I have changed my mind on this McKenna Cup, it was a stroke of genius to turn it into a satire on cage fighting.
The false penalty save routine was also good for a laugh.    penalty saved -  one side roars,  -  oops ... butterfingers --  scored on the rebound  --  the other side roars  and all in the space of a second.

Anyway, congratulations  to Tyrone on their Nth title victory (lost count of just how many).
I see that Mickey Harte, the jubilant winning manager, has taken Bennyharps' McKenna cup affirmation 'better to win than to lose' and run with it. Though post match  altering it bizarrely to "I would rather be using than losing"
Surely  Mickey is not openly supporting the use of illegal substances in sport?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Main Street on January 25, 2016, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: Any craic on January 23, 2016, 11:02:23 PM
See some of the mayhem from tonight in this one-minute video..
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/01/23/news/mckenna-cup-final-tyrone-v-derry-391922/?param=ds441rif44T
I have changed my mind on this McKenna Cup, it was a stroke of genius to turn it into a satire on cage fighting.
The false penalty save routine was also good for a laugh.    penalty saved -  one side roars,  -  oops ... butterfingers --  scored on the rebound  --  the other side roars  and all in the space of a second.

Anyway, congratulations  to Tyrone on their Nth title victory (lost count of just how many).
I see that Mickey Harte, the jubilant winning manager, has taken Bennyharps' McKenna cup affirmation 'better to win than to lose' and run with it. Though post match  altering it bizarrely to "I would rather be using than losing"
Surely  Mickey is not openly supporting the use of illegal substances in sport?

Monaghan would know all there is to about doping.

general_lee

I wouldn't be complaining if Armagh were in the position Tyrone are. As much as I enjoy ridiculing them they've won matches, tried players out and have something to show for it with momentum going into the NFL.

BennyHarp

Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2016, 11:44:53 AM
I wouldn't be complaining if Armagh were in the position Tyrone are. As much as I enjoy ridiculing them they've won matches, tried players out and have something to show for it with momentum going into the NFL.

This is exactly it. Nobody really cares about the trophy, its the games and the opportunity to try players in a competitive environment that is important. If you win its a bonus (and is better than losing  ;D), but not the end of the world. That game v Derry was better than any number of in house games or friendlies. Having 7,000 blood boiled spectators at that game created an atmosphere which you cant recreate in friendlies. It is a better attendance than some games down the country will get in their provincial championship and enables you to judge a players aptitude and appetite for the big occasion that little bit better. This can give a manager the confidence to throw a new player (such as Sludden who excelled when he came in) into a bigger game and know he can cope.

I wonder who Monaghan and Armagh where playing last weekend in preparation for the national league and how much the management learned about their new players in those games?
That was never a square ball!!

DennistheMenace

But then weight that up against getting two injuries to very key players for Derry which could be very damaging long term, Lynn in particular. Bigger fish to fry further down the line but certainly good preparation for the league. I think Derry and Tyrone will both finish in the top 2 in the league.

sensethetone

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 25, 2016, 12:09:21 PM
But then weight that up against getting two injuries to very key players for Derry which could be very damaging long term, Lynn in particular. Bigger fish to fry further down the line but certainly good preparation for the league. I think Derry and Tyrone will both finish in the top 2 in the league.

I think Derry and Tyrone will top Div 2. Another meeting of them in Croke Park few weeks before the championship is what everyone really needs.

lenny

Quote from: WT4E on January 25, 2016, 10:42:00 AM
What is McCann at?

I actually tried to defend him with the Monaghan incident but he's done it again on Saturday night and nots the only time since Monaghan game. If I was him I'd be trying to stay on my feet even if big Sucky Bell was boxing the head of me!

And on another note - whats Mickeys policies on sunbeds? McCann is surely frequenting them a bit too much too!  ::)

The problem for McCann is that he received absolutely no criticism from within his own county re hairgate. In fact he became almost hero worshipped for his actions - facebook and twitter support groups were set up and so hence he will continue his diving antics as he knows not only is it accepted within his own county, it seems to be lauded.

trueblue1234

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: WT4E on January 25, 2016, 10:42:00 AM
What is McCann at?

The problem for McCann is that he received absolutely no criticism from within his own county re hairgate. In fact he became almost hero worshipped for his actions - facebook and twitter support groups were set up and so hence he will continue his diving antics as he knows not only is it accepted within his own county, it seems to be lauded.

Complete nonsense. but I understand this is a trying time for you.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit