McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2016, 12:48:44 AM
Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2016, 12:43:18 AM
I think it's time we forgot about football and focused on which county really are inbred. We can't continue with this nonsense of each county calling each other the same derogatory name.

Knockloughrim is mad for inbreedin and I've never encountered anyone disputing that.

When you have watched Tony Scullion play the banjo you would have no doubt about where the inbreeding has been taking place.

tbrick18

Quote from: SkillfulBill on January 24, 2016, 12:56:39 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2016, 12:48:44 AM
Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2016, 12:43:18 AM
I think it's time we forgot about football and focused on which county really are inbred. We can't continue with this nonsense of each county calling each other the same derogatory name.

Knockloughrim is mad for inbreedin and I've never encountered anyone disputing that.

When you have watched Tony Scullion play the banjo you would have no doubt about where the inbreeding has been taking place.

Tony doesnt play the banjo, just the mandolin. You're than inbred you dont know the difference. ;)

red hander

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 24, 2016, 12:37:32 AM
haha. All part of the master plan.

Most of you tirronie inbred red-arses seem to be happier about beating Derry than you are about winning the McKenna Cup.
After all this time yous still seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to us. Yous really need to move on.

Happy enough with Derry tonight, should have won it in normal time. I really dont know where all the injury time came from. Played 2 or 3 minutes more than announced injury and the last free at the death which drew the game was questionable at best. I think we should have had another penalty in the first half before the one we got too.
Tyrone the better side in extra time. I think tactically MH got the extra time approach spot on...running on subs flat out in that first period. Frantic first period for them was enough to win it.

Its all about development for Derry at the minute. A lot of young new players and most acquitted themselves well against a team that is highly rated (wrongly IMO....top 6 team but not genuine AI contenders I feel). Plenty of  players to come back in, Lynch, McGuckian, the coleraine contingent, Dermot McBride.....there's probably about 5-6 players missing there tonight.

All in all, disappointing result but pleasing performance and showing signs of improvement. What more can any team ask for other than showing improvement.
I still have a gut feeling we'll win the first game in the championship. The only one that really matters.

Guess who's been on the drink tonight... an inferiority complex over the inbreds?  ;D ;D Think I'll have a wee dream about the 1995 Ulster semi-final tonight  ;)

tbrick18

Quote from: red hander on January 24, 2016, 04:37:41 AM

Most of you tirronie inbred red-arses seem to be happier about beating Derry than you are about winning the McKenna Cup.
After all this time yous still seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to us. Yous really need to move on.

Happy enough with Derry tonight, should have won it in normal time. I really dont know where all the injury time came from. Played 2 or 3 minutes more than announced injury and the last free at the death which drew the game was questionable at best. I think we should have had another penalty in the first half before the one we got too.
Tyrone the better side in extra time. I think tactically MH got the extra time approach spot on...running on subs flat out in that first period. Frantic first period for them was enough to win it.

Its all about development for Derry at the minute. A lot of young new players and most acquitted themselves well against a team that is highly rated (wrongly IMO....top 6 team but not genuine AI contenders I feel). Plenty of  players to come back in, Lynch, McGuckian, the coleraine contingent, Dermot McBride.....there's probably about 5-6 players missing there tonight.

All in all, disappointing result but pleasing performance and showing signs of improvement. What more can any team ask for other than showing improvement.
I still have a gut feeling we'll win the first game in the championship. The only one that really matters.

Guess who's been on the drink tonight... an inferiority complex over the inbreds?  ;D ;D Think I'll have a wee dream about the 1995 Ulster semi-final tonight  ;)

Dream you away.
I might have a wee dream myself about a certain final and a Mr Charlie Redmond and even about a disallowed point at the end. A real good karma dream that. Lol.

God14

That's a few times now Derry have failed to put Tyrone away. Even back to the NFL game last year that ended in a draw.
Barton will have a big physiological job to do now, getting his players to believe they are good enough to actually beat Tyrone. Glass ceiling so to speak.

omagh_gael

Always good to get the result, however, it will always be irrelevant in the long run. What has pleased me the most is the desire to keep plugging away and fighting to the last whistle. No harm in that and can only be a good thing.

Final two points, Meyler was fantastic last night, himself and Sludden changed the game. Secondly, what brought about the rule change that allows teams to go back to a full compliment at the start of extra time? A ridiculous rule.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Throw ball on January 24, 2016, 12:39:41 AM
For what it is worth I felt the Derry fella tackle was rash and should have got a yellow. McNamee did push/hit him in the chin area so should have got a straight red. Barton should have been nowhere near the incident but McCarron pushed him in back. Red was harsh but can see why it was given. For me Morgan should not have went near the Derry player and should have been booked.

If I was a Tyrone man I would worry about McNamee's discipline. He could easily have seen red in UUJ match against Armagh too.

He didn't go near his chin, did you imagine he did?

tyroneman

Few thoughts....

Overall a scrappy game of football. Neither side put much quality play together and I don't think either Barton or Harte will be thinking the finished article was on display.

Good to dig a result out without having to play big Sean.

Derry pen was very very soft and without it Tyrone would prob have done enough in normal time. The big FF did some amount of dragging and pushing but I guess that's what he's there for and he def caused some problems for us.

The ridiculous time wasting by the Derry players contributed to the elongated injury time. If you are going to take an eternity over kick outs and kick the ball away from the opposition keeper, expect that to be dealt with.....

Tyrone FF line was pretty limp until Skeet came on, but then Derrys biggest strength last night was having good sticky defenders so a real learning curve for Brennan et al.

Must be a real inferiority complex among our neighbours though as the thought of beating us with 10 to go had the ones I could see round me celebrating like lunatics.

Good to see MH making sensible in game adjustments too.

Barton needs to wind the neck in. Running up the pitch to get involved was idiotic. Especially when he got put on his ars@.

The sliding tackle looks worse every time you see it. Very dangerous play and deserved a straight red.

Lack of a decent free taker still an issue. Also missed some very easy scores in the first half that would have put good daylight between us and Derry rather than keep them in it.

Plenty to work on and the next 2 games are #2 and #1 in importance in this series so no room for any complacency.

What would be the odds of meeting in the div 2 final and the back door too.......

BennyHarp

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 24, 2016, 07:59:51 AM
Quote from: red hander on January 24, 2016, 04:37:41 AM

Dream you away.
I might have a wee dream myself about a certain final and a Mr Charlie Redmond and even about a disallowed point at the end. A real good karma dream that. Lol.

If you are a Derry man....this is such a sad story! Is that as good as it gets up there?
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 24, 2016, 08:40:26 AM
Always good to get the result, however, it will always be irrelevant in the long run. What has pleased me the most is the desire to keep plugging away and fighting to the last whistle. No harm in that and can only be a good thing.

Final two points, Meyler was fantastic last night, himself and Sludden changed the game. Secondly, what brought about the rule change that allows teams to go back to a full compliment at the start of extra time? A ridiculous rule.

Meyler was brilliant and was the real driving force in the tyrone comeback. Derry had a lot of positives also. the 2 midfielders had very good games especially mcatamney. It would have been nice to have had holly and liam (and sean leo) mcgoldrick there to bring on around the middle of the field for extra time as tyrone brought on subs who added real energy to their team. The 2 mckaigues did very well in defence also.

ONeill

According to the Irish News:

Cathal McCarron (straight red card), Ronan McNamee (2 yellows), Daniel McKinless (2 yellows), Derry manager Damian Barton sent off.

after the pushing session.

Didn't know that Barton got the line.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Aaron Boone

The Fix for Six starts here.

Captain Black

Quote from: God14 on January 24, 2016, 08:22:39 AM
That's a few times now Derry have failed to put Tyrone away. Even back to the NFL game last year that ended in a draw.
Barton will have a big physiological job to do now, getting his players to believe they are good enough to actually beat Tyrone. Glass ceiling so to speak.

Big physiological job on for Barton boys!

Throw ball

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 24, 2016, 09:10:29 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on January 24, 2016, 12:39:41 AM
For what it is worth I felt the Derry fella tackle was rash and should have got a yellow. McNamee did push/hit him in the chin area so should have got a straight red. Barton should have been nowhere near the incident but McCarron pushed him in back. Red was harsh but can see why it was given. For me Morgan should not have went near the Derry player and should have been booked.

If I was a Tyrone man I would worry about McNamee's discipline. He could easily have seen red in UUJ match against Armagh too.

He didn't go near his chin, did you imagine he did?

Video evidence posted by Any Craic a few pages ago would suggest he did.

No wides

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 24, 2016, 09:43:14 AM
The Fix for Six starts here.

The Tyronies will be in heaven at seven, at this stage it must rank as one of the greatest GAA achievements this century, 5 in a row, unbelievable achievement. must bode well for croke park in september.