McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2016, 04:45:21 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 04, 2016, 03:46:46 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2016, 03:44:03 PM
Quote from: Conallach on January 04, 2016, 01:50:32 PM
Nice to see so many new faces for Donegal. May as well let them loose, at least from here until the break in the league.

The likes of Thompson, O'Brien, and McBrearty looked at a good level yesterday, and with quite a few of the new players out (including Carr & McClenaghan, who both have real potential) it's very positive. I wonder if, the day after one Burtonport man's defeat in the UFC, the most immediately important thing might have been Danny Rodgers' debut in goals though.

Young Carr appears to be very highly rated. Still a minor though, right?

Rory should have begun this process last year, but hopefully now we'll see a good bit of youth introduced, at least for the league. Does Division 1 status matter THAT much? And while it is an easier run at the Ulster final this year, it's hard to see us winning it with the same aging team a year older.

Surely he cant play at senior level if he is still a minor?

McBrearty and Murphy did.

Think Darragh O'Connor was just out of minor.

Have the rules changed?

Anyway, I'm not sure if he (Carr) will still be minor this summer.

yessir. you have to have turned 17 before 31 Dec to play senior club and 18 before 31 Dec to play county senior in the forthcoming season

J70

Thanks, wasn't aware of the change.

Any craic

Here's new video from Ballybofey, with interviews with big Michael, Eamonn Burns, Rory Gallagher and Frank McGlynn.. https://www.facebook.com/irishnewssport/videos/585422001611980/?pnref=story

Itchy

Quote from: jp2020 on January 04, 2016, 03:52:20 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on January 04, 2016, 03:36:45 PM
Quote from: jp2020 on January 04, 2016, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2016, 09:56:23 AM
Word is that Armagh had a tactic to get as many Cavan players sent off as possible but that didn't work so they levelled it up and that worked better.

Word is Cavan thought they would flex their muscles, as usual, but ref took appropriate action! 3 men sent off in 1 game for off-the-ball antics - must be a record! Cant see that tactic being very successful as the year progresses! I think this might be a case of Cavan winning the battle but Armagh could win the war! Hyland on the way out! ::)

I doubt Armagh will win very much

For the record, Im not from Armagh - And No they wont win much but I think theyll beat Cavan come championship, which is what I meant.
Oh and also for the record, as for Tyrone (my county) we have bagged the O'fee Cup, will probably take the McKenna Cup AGAIN and that will be our lot this year! Time for MH to go, along with Hyland - but thats for another thread!  :o

Aye you'd imagine Armagh might send out some men in the championship rather than the wee girls they had on Sunday.

mrdeeds

Nice picture on independent.ie of Ciaran McKeever eye gouging.

omaghjoe

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 04, 2016, 09:00:06 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on January 04, 2016, 08:57:52 PM

Link here http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/five-players-sent-off-as-cavan-edge-past-armagh-34332755.html

Quare stuff.... McKeever is a one random sc**bag on a pitch, he covers up his lack of footballing ability by trying to create as much drama and controversy as possible, and the Neanderthals that have been managing Armagh think that its great for morale.

On the other hand I could be being unfair as photos dont prove a thing, there is also the possibility that he was helping him to blow his nose.

Throw ball

Mr Deeds as Omaghjoe eventually said a still picture proves nothing. As a Cavan man you should be more concerned with how 3 of your players got sent off for off the ball incidents - and against the less physical of the Armagh players.

On a separate note. In the build up to the second Cavan goal an Armagh player running back to cover was 'taken out' by a Cavan player. Cavan scored a goal in the same move and then the referee, on advice from the linesman, sent the Cavan player off. This proved the decisive score in the game. Now in the McKenna Cup this means very little but if it happened in the championship there would be hell to pay. Is there any rule were the goal could have been disallowed?

Clinker

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 04, 2016, 10:51:35 PM

Quare stuff.... McKeever is a one random sc**bag on a pitch, he covers up his lack of footballing ability by trying to create as much drama and controversy as possible, and the Neanderthals that have been managing Armagh think that its great for morale.

On the other hand I could be being unfair as photos dont prove a thing, there is also the possibility that he was helping him to blow his nose.

You do realise that this is a big trick. Your "convinced" "attack" on a player from a made up area because he is from the made up area.

People in Crossmaglen (for example) have little to no relation with people in Craigavon but are convinced somehow to pay money to watch "Armagh" play. McKenna Cup - named after a Bishop - (obviously it would be free into a Mother Teresa Cup) - 8 quid or so per person for which there is a fine in horseracing - Rule 212 Ireland - Using the Racecourse as a means of training a horse -  plus the travel and what you might buy inside the ground.

Think of the mugs who will pay into Leinster Championship games in the early Rounds this year already in the knowledge that Dublin will win.

Stick with your Club. The Professional Era of Corporate GAA has made money paying mugs of a lot of people in Ireland. Go and do something useful with your wife, children, friends.... but don't fall for this nonsense.

With the seeming New Corporate Order at the top of the GAA so much of which was true in the past has become sullied and destroyed.
Family and friends and Club will be with you until you die - Corporate GAA will just count your cash - a number who paid in - not a valued person.

Sad yes but it has now happened - a lot of values which we still hold have gone - at the top - don't encourage them more - look after your own - the old people were correct in their thinking and it worked for whole communities that way.

Volunteerism - of which we are sure to hear a lot about this year also involved looking after your own people/area/family first. Do not waste money that would benefit your own in these austere times - or indeed in any other times.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Clinker on January 05, 2016, 01:03:07 AM

You do realise that this is a big trick. Your "convinced" "attack" on a player from a made up area because he is from the made up area.

People in Crossmaglen (for example) have little to no relation with people in Craigavon but are convinced somehow to pay money to watch "Armagh" play. McKenna Cup - named after a Bishop - (obviously it would be free into a Mother Teresa Cup) - 8 quid or so per person for which there is a fine in horseracing - Rule 212 Ireland - Using the Racecourse as a means of training a horse -  plus the travel and what you might buy inside the ground.

Think of the mugs who will pay into Leinster Championship games in the early Rounds this year already in the knowledge that Dublin will win.

Stick with your Club. The Professional Era of Corporate GAA has made money paying mugs of a lot of people in Ireland. Go and do something useful with your wife, children, friends.... but don't fall for this nonsense.

With the seeming New Corporate Order at the top of the GAA so much of which was true in the past has become sullied and destroyed.
Family and friends and Club will be with you until you die - Corporate GAA will just count your cash - a number who paid in - not a valued person.

Sad yes but it has now happened - a lot of values which we still hold have gone - at the top - don't encourage them more - look after your own - the old people were correct in their thinking and it worked for whole communities that way.

Volunteerism - of which we are sure to hear a lot about this year also involved looking after your own people/area/family first. Do not waste money that would benefit your own in these austere times - or indeed in any other times.

FFS sake I was just looking to wind up a few apple munchers

And yes I do realise it is "made up" as you put it.
Supporting a team is a choice, and I am choosing to be partisan about them.

But then isnt Crosmaglen just made up as well? What in common do the McConville's have with Kernan's? Why should they team up with each other just because they live in the same locality? They are different families after all?

You see we have created this thing called society since we are social beings so we create ways to live together and make life better or more bearable by working together.

The Irish counties are based upon various governance systems of this island and it involved grouping together various areas so that they could be administratively governed. The same could be said for parishes and if you really want to back far enough along the evolutionary trail you could throw the bloody familiy system into that as well.

Anyway the GAA structure actually promotes togetherness at all levels, club county and ultimately the umbrella of country. As for the county level being corporate it definitely does appear to have the feel of corporate methods, but ultimately the goal is not the bottom line with the GAA its to promote the ideals of the organisation, so its not like its Goldman Sachs we are dealing with. IMO the county system apart from being a big revenue generater for grassroots investment, is also a vital outlet for talent and supporters as well.

Anyway my point is nearly everything in life all an artificial creation but I dont see why that is a reason not to adhere to it.

redhandefender

Link here http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/five-players-sent-off-as-cavan-edge-past-armagh-34332755.html

Findon is the worst of the lot of them, seems like a half decent player but gets involved in everything going

cavan4sam

Quote from: Throw ball on January 05, 2016, 12:44:45 AM
Mr Deeds as Omaghjoe eventually said a still picture proves nothing. As a Cavan man you should be more concerned with how 3 of your players got sent off for off the ball incidents - and against the less physical of the Armagh players.

On a separate note. In the build up to the second Cavan goal an Armagh player running back to cover was 'taken out' by a Cavan player. Cavan scored a goal in the same move and then the referee, on advice from the linesman, sent the Cavan player off. This proved the decisive score in the game. Now in the McKenna Cup this means very little but if it happened in the championship there would be hell to pay. Is there any rule were the goal could have been disallowed?

What difference does it make which of the Armagh players these incidents were against? You are right however that Cavan will need to sort out their discipline as ultimately it cost them last year. They lost 2 matches in the league last year after being reduced to 14 men (against Kildare and Down) which cost them promotion to Div 1 and were knocked out of the championship by Roscommon when Mossy Corr was sent off before the start of the second half. The last red card was not off the ball but was fully deserved. Ciaran McKeever was very lucky to stay on the field when he took Liam Buchanan out with a closed fist in front of the stand about 10 mins into the second half.

Don't think there is anything the referee can do in terms of the incident which led to the goal as he didn't see it and had to allow play to continue until the linesman brought it to his attention. All play up until that point stands.

If I was an Armagh man I'd be concerned with the fact that they played with 2 extra men for around 50 minutes and still couldn't win the match against a very inexperienced Cavan side.

tonto1888

Quote from: redhandefender on January 05, 2016, 08:34:20 AM

Findon is the worst of the lot of them, seems like a half decent player but gets involved in everything going

True. He can be his own worst enemy at times

DERRYSFINEST

On a different topic, who the hell designed the Queens jerseys. Absolutely brutal

Any craic

See all four goals from tonight's Antrim-Queens game, including one fluke, 3 crackers and a cheeky lob to finish it off by Brian Neeson..
https://www.facebook.com/irishnewssport/posts/586276668193180?fref=nf&pnref=story