McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2015, 11:02:01 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 10:59:25 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2015, 10:29:19 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 09:58:40 AM
I see Harte unsurprisingly has fielded Donnelly and O'Neill in his starting line up even though they have already played for UUJ in the competition, a ridiculous situation and shows how determined he is to get the 4 in a row. What other sport or competition would allow such a situatin occur?

I hope its a good fair and physical (probably get jumped on for using that word) contest and if there are a few minor dust ups then so be it, there will be no crying here. Just hope that the game isn't settled by any controversial free kick incidents involving players doing impersonations of dying swans.

So what is worse - an elbow to the head or putting a player in a headlock or somebody going down easy?

Who mentioned elbows to the head or headlocks and why compare them to theatrical dives which probably occur on average 2 or 3 times per match? I presume you are digging about McKeever headlocking a boy against Cavan last year which was hardly the worst crime in the world given the situation (didn't even warrant a booking). As for the elbows to the head I don't even know what you are talking about here. However one thing for sure, they aren't incidents that crop up a couple of times every match unlike the aforementioned diving.

Between Findon and McKeever there is at least one incident per game.  A dive isn't hurting anybody but a headlock or forearm/elbow smash to the face is.

just the game. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

I see Harte unsurprisingly has fielded Donnelly and O'Neill in his starting line up even though they have already played for UUJ in the competition, a ridiculous situation and shows how determined he is to get the 4 in a row. What other sport or competition would allow such a situatin occur?

I hope its a good fair and physical (probably get jumped on for using that word) contest and if there are a few minor dust ups then so be it, there will be no crying here. Just hope that the game isn't settled by any controversial free kick incidents involving players doing impersonations of dying swans.

No it doesn't. It shows Harte wants to run the rule over everyone before the football in earnest starts with the NFL, and this might be the last semi-competitive game with which to do that.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyCake

Quote from: JoG2 on January 21, 2015, 11:19:54 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2015, 11:02:01 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 10:59:25 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2015, 10:29:19 AM

So what is worse - an elbow to the head or putting a player in a headlock or somebody going down easy?

Who mentioned elbows to the head or headlocks and why compare them to theatrical dives which probably occur on average 2 or 3 times per match? I presume you are digging about McKeever headlocking a boy against Cavan last year which was hardly the worst crime in the world given the situation (didn't even warrant a booking). As for the elbows to the head I don't even know what you are talking about here. However one thing for sure, they aren't incidents that crop up a couple of times every match unlike the aforementioned diving.

Between Findon and McKeever there is at least one incident per game.  A dive isn't hurting anybody but a headlock or forearm/elbow smash to the face is.

just the game.

And possibly the result. A trophy. An AI title even. I can understand players having a go at each other or a few shoves, pushes etc in pressurised games. But there's absolutely no excuse for diving.

supersarsfields

A dive hurts the game but lets not try and say a illegal hit doesn't either. People going of injured affects the game. People being taken out of the game affects the game. Cut them all out and don't get caught up on one over the other.

Armaghgeddon

We might even be treated to a rugby tackle.

While I'm not fussed on who wins, I'm glad Mcgeeney has an extra game to try some more players. Don't care who wins,  it will soon be forgotten about.

yellowcard

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 21, 2015, 11:34:32 AM

No it doesn't. It shows Harte wants to run the rule over everyone before the football in earnest starts with the NFL, and this might be the last semi-competitive game with which to do that.

It's not like he needs to see O'Neill or Donnelly play to know their capabilities, they will be guaranteed starters in any Tyrone first XV. Just to be clear I have no issue with Harte starting them but with the rules which allow such a situation occur. However it does show how serious Harte is treating this match. Armagh have Aidan Forker and James Morgan available now also from St Marys who will be in the starting team come championship, but McGeeney has opted not to start either of them tonight.

theticklemister

Any sectarian language needs a huge ban. No matter what was said.

Feckitt

Quote from: theticklemister on January 21, 2015, 12:29:10 PM

Correct, It says on the bbc website that the Ulster Council are issuing a statement today.

JoG2

Quote from: Feckitt on January 21, 2015, 12:30:57 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 21, 2015, 12:29:10 PM

Correct, It says on the bbc website that the Ulster Council are issuing a statement today.

Ulster Council: Sorry folks, we wimped out laying down yet another marker. The aggressor will be free to play the majority of the league and all championship matches. As you were.....

supersarsfields

Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 12:28:59 PM

It's not like he needs to see O'Neill or Donnelly play to know their capabilities, they will be guaranteed starters in any Tyrone first XV. Just to be clear I have no issue with Harte starting them but with the rules which allow such a situation occur. However it does show how serious Harte is treating this match. Armagh have Aidan Forker and James Morgan available now also from St Marys who will be in the starting team come championship, but McGeeney has opted not to start either of them tonight.

He's made 13 changes. I don't think he's taking it any more serious than any other manager. None of the managers will want to lose the game.

Redhand Santa

As I said last night its obvious Armagh are taking the game more serious. They've named 12 or 13 players who have started championship games, Tyrone on the other hand are at around 6 or 7. Will be no disgrace losing this one but wouldn't be surprised if the new boys can pull out a result. I think Yellow has missed the fact that Aiden Forker from St Marys has been named in the Armagh squad this evening too.

bennydorano

Very heavy Fog in Armagh atm

Club Rossa

There'll be some off the ball stuff in the fog ;D

yellowcard

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 21, 2015, 12:44:09 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 12:28:59 PM

He's made 13 changes. I don't think he's taking it any more serious than any other manager. None of the managers will want to lose the game.

13 changes from what, a nothing game against Antrim? Course he treats it more serious than any other manager, his comments over the years and disputes over availability of college players would tell you as much.

yellowcard

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 21, 2015, 12:49:00 PM
As I said last night its obvious Armagh are taking the game more serious. They've named 12 or 13 players who have started championship games, Tyrone on the other hand are at around 6 or 7. Will be no disgrace losing this one but wouldn't be surprised if the new boys can pull out a result. I think Yellow has missed the fact that Aiden Forker from St Marys has been named in the Armagh squad this evening too.

No I haven't, 'squad' being the important word.