McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 09:58:40 AM
I see Harte unsurprisingly has fielded Donnelly and O'Neill in his starting line up even though they have already played for UUJ in the competition, a ridiculous situation and shows how determined he is to get the 4 in a row. What other sport or competition would allow such a situatin occur?

I hope its a good fair and physical (probably get jumped on for using that word) contest and if there are a few minor dust ups then so be it, there will be no crying here. Just hope that the game isn't settled by any controversial free kick incidents involving players doing impersonations of dying swans.

So what is worse - an elbow to the head/putting a player in a headlock or somebody going down easy?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

theticklemister

Throw mckeirnan out for a year. Ulster council bottled this and Farneyman has some pair of ears.

yellowcard

Quote from: phpearse on January 21, 2015, 10:09:05 AM
QuoteI see Harte unsurprisingly has fielded Donnelly and O'Neill in his starting line up even though they have already played for UUJ in the competition, a ridiculous situation and shows how determined he is to get the 4 in a row. What other sport or competition would allow such a situatin occur?

Did the Ulster Council not relax the rule to say that uni players could then play for their county in a semi final or final if the uni team was not involved.

They did but it makes a mockery of the competition that a player is able to compete for 2 different sides in the same competition. Harte is not breaking any rules but maximising them to his sides advantage as they are both among Tyrones best 4 or 5 players.

tonto1888

Apologies if this has already been answered but what did the Cavan fella say?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 21, 2015, 10:54:09 AM

Just said that was sectarian so draw your own conclusions.  It was directed to one of the Wylie boys.

tommysmith

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 21, 2015, 10:56:09 AM

Just said that was sectarian so draw your own conclusions.  It was directed to one of the Wylie boys.

It must not have been two bad if he just got two game ban ?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tommysmith on January 21, 2015, 10:58:04 AM

::)

yellowcard

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2015, 10:29:19 AM
I see Harte unsurprisingly has fielded Donnelly and O'Neill in his starting line up even though they have already played for UUJ in the competition, a ridiculous situation and shows how determined he is to get the 4 in a row. What other sport or competition would allow such a situatin occur?

I hope its a good fair and physical (probably get jumped on for using that word) contest and if there are a few minor dust ups then so be it, there will be no crying here. Just hope that the game isn't settled by any controversial free kick incidents involving players doing impersonations of dying swans.

So what is worse - an elbow to the head or putting a player in a headlock or somebody going down easy?

Who mentioned elbows to the head or headlocks and why compare them to theatrical dives which probably occur on average 2 or 3 times per match? I presume you are digging about McKeever headlocking a boy against Cavan last year which was hardly the worst crime in the world given the situation (didn't even warrant a booking). As for the elbows to the head I don't even know what you are talking about here. However one thing for sure, they aren't incidents that crop up a couple of times every match unlike the aforementioned diving.

yellowcard

Didn't Billy Sheehan sing God Save the Queen to McKeever in Portlaoise a few years ago, can't remember what punishment he got? 

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 10:59:25 AM

So what is worse - an elbow to the head or putting a player in a headlock or somebody going down easy?

Who mentioned elbows to the head or headlocks and why compare them to theatrical dives which probably occur on average 2 or 3 times per match? I presume you are digging about McKeever headlocking a boy against Cavan last year which was hardly the worst crime in the world given the situation (didn't even warrant a booking). As for the elbows to the head I don't even know what you are talking about here. However one thing for sure, they aren't incidents that crop up a couple of times every match unlike the aforementioned diving.

Between Findon and McKeever there is at least one incident per game.  A dive isn't hurting anybody but a headlock or forearm/elbow smash to the face is. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 21, 2015, 11:02:01 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 10:59:25 AM

Between Findon and McKeever there is at least one incident per game.  A dive isn't hurting anybody but a headlock or forearm/elbow smash to the face is.

More hyperbole. A forearm/elbow SMASH to the face sounds horribly dramatic but to the best of my knowledge there is not at least one incident per game of either of these violent acts. A dive isn't hurting anybody but it is blatant cheating and is hurting the opponent on the scoreboard when the offender gets away with it.

Denn Forever

Quote from: theticklemister on January 21, 2015, 10:45:31 AM
Throw mckeirnan out for a year. Ulster council bottled this and Farneyman has some pair of ears.

What a Bollix.

That sort of crap has no place in sport.  While I would not like to see him out for a year (being selfish and self serving), 2 games is very short.  They seem to have applied the letter of the law without taking into account how reprehensible the act was.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 11:01:28 AM

Didn't Billy Sheehan sing God Save the Queen to McKeever in Portlaoise a few years ago, can't remember what punishment he got?

He did well to know the words.

cavanmaniac

Pretty stupid by McKiernan, there's not much that Monaghan and Cavan lads wouldn't say to each other during a match, on or off the field, but even if you weren't offended by the sentiment you'd surely have to be struck by the brainlessness of it.

I hope it was an out-of-character thing and this doesn't follow the lad around, because McKiernan is a fine player with a great future. There may have been a bit of provocation beforehand as well given the match reports and red card tally - still doesn't excuse it though, in this day and age.

supersarsfields

Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2015, 10:51:54 AM
Quote from: phpearse on January 21, 2015, 10:09:05 AM
QuoteI see Harte unsurprisingly has fielded Donnelly and O'Neill in his starting line up even though they have already played for UUJ in the competition, a ridiculous situation and shows how determined he is to get the 4 in a row. What other sport or competition would allow such a situatin occur?

Did the Ulster Council not relax the rule to say that uni players could then play for their county in a semi final or final if the uni team was not involved.

They did but it makes a mockery of the competition that a player is able to compete for 2 different sides in the same competition. Harte is not breaking any rules but maximising them to his sides advantage as they are both among Tyrones best 4 or 5 players.

To be fair I think it's a good compromise as long as Uni's are still involved. Once the University is out there's no benefit to restricting the players from the county teams. Remember this is just a preparation for the League and just means slightly more competitive games than normal friendly's. I don't think anyone will be gutted about losing the McKenna cup  nor will they be celebrating the winning of it. I'm sure the players are happy enough to get a few county games as well.