McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

A lot of crap is seen as acceptable on the pitch when it shouldn't be.  Even the like of Findon in the earlier page in this thread with Lacey in some kind of bear head lock, a fella who behaves like that should be straight off the pitch.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 20, 2015, 02:17:12 PM
Yellow,
Simple question for you.
Could you rank what YOU think are the most physically imposing counties in Ulster?

Why do you think teams like Derry, Antrim, Fermanagh and Down don't seem to put as much emphasis on this side of the game?
Would they benefit more if they did?
Have Donegal upped the physicality levels on the past three years?

IMHO you're contradicting yourself on this thread as I think you'd love to see Big Sean get a damn good hiding as he deserves but not to get caught doing it and be man down.

It's good to be back down at Armaghs level, just for the banter.

This physical approach put forward by the media is a nonsense, there were a few minor skirmishes broke out in games involving Armagh last year but because they weren't speaking to a load of hacks they were fair game to be attacked by the press. As for your question, well that is a nonsense as Armagh are no more or less physical than any other county, the only difference is we don't go crying like babies when someone starts pushing our players about in melees. You give it and you take it, its not tiddlywinks. How do you even measure physicality, get the first XV to start bench pressing, throw them in a UFC dome and have them wrestle? If there were mass punch ups or physical violence then I'd be the first to condemn it but to the best of my knowledge nobody has got injured from any of these horrible obscene acts of violence that Armagh have pre planned and instigated since last year. Just hyperbole and exaggeration to feed the hysterical parts of the media. Its no coincidence that now that McMenamin and Gormley have retired that Tyrone men are getting on their high horse complaining about an overly physical appraoch. 

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: yellowcard on January 20, 2015, 03:09:18 PM
Yellow,
Simple question for you.
Could you rank what YOU think are the most physically imposing counties in Ulster?

Why do you think teams like Derry, Antrim, Fermanagh and Down don't seem to put as much emphasis on this side of the game?

IMHO you're contradicting yourself on this thread as I think you'd love to see Big Sean get a damn good hiding as he deserves but not to get caught doing it and be man down.

This physical approach put forward by the media is a nonsense, there were a few minor skirmishes broke out in games involving Armagh last year but because they weren't speaking to a load of hacks they were fair game to be attacked by the press. As for your question, well that is a nonsense as Armagh are no more or less physical than any other county, the only difference is we don't go crying like babies when someone starts pushing our players about in melees. You give it and you take it, its not tiddlywinks. How do you even measure physicality, get the first XV to start bench pressing, throw them in a UFC dome and have them wrestle? If there were mass punch ups or physical violence then I'd be the first to condemn it but to the best of my knowledge nobody has got injured from any of these horrible obscene acts of violence that Armagh have pre planned and instigated since last year. Just hyperbole and exaggeration to feed the hysterical parts of the media. Its no coincidence that now that McMenamin and Gormley have retired that Tyrone men are getting on their high horse complaining about an overly physical appraoch.

What a load of shite. grow up
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

BennyHarp

Yellow,
Simple question for you.

Is this not Armagh's pre-match warm up?
That was never a square ball!!

illdecide

My Da could beat your DA FFS. This Cavanagh v McKeever thing is a joke, i'm sure Sean couldn't give 2 fu*ks who was/is marking him and the same for McKeever.

Armagh have been involved in a few grappling sessions recently but that's all it is and the media blow it up bigger than it actually is. The simple fact is through boards like this and media the Ref's will be out to teach Armagh a lesson and we'll suffer down the road in a big game and lose a player in a tight match which will screw us.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Muzz

Quote from: yellowcard on January 20, 2015, 01:00:08 PM
Saying as the only thing you picked up on was the semantics, then I presume you have no issue with the actual point which is that a bit of physicality in the game should be embraced and not frowned upon in the manner of a pc junkie. Or maybe your just that petty that you have nothing else to contribute.

;D probably like the most of people on here I am not actually sure on the point you are trying to make.  But one thing I am sure most people will agree on, you are a clown.  Thats my contribution.

Fuzzman

Exactly Illdecide so a bit like with Tyrone and the diving, ye have been labeled with it whether ye like it or not.
It doesn't come from nowhere so players like McKeever who can be a match winner on his day, needs to be reeled in and focus on the ball.
My point here though is that yellow card's opinion tends to sum up the Armagh psyche. The game has cleaned up a lot since the 70s but Armagh folk don't seem to get this.

Muzz

Yellow,
Simple question for you.

1. Don't go crying like babies - wasn't that because there was a self imposed media ban and weren't allowed to cry?

2. Nobody has got injured - What happened Dunne then during the altercation?

omaghjoe

Thing is McKeever does have a hard-one for big Sean

Reason being he is useless and big Sean aint so he tries to take Cavanagh out of it using illegal methods. Is as simple as that

What's unfortunate is that if Sean was using his rules of engagement he would take the head of him, he's a wee tub of lard FFS.

But the thing is McKeever's rules of engagement are illegal and he should be punished accordingly, in the match earlier this month it was a scuffle between Findon and Cavnagh that was over until McKeever arrived and all hell broke loose.

He rightly got a red and long may it continue for his behaviour

Walter Cronc

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 20, 2015, 04:20:31 PM
Thing is McKeever does have a hard-one for big Sean

Reason being he is useless and big Sean aint so he tries to take Cavanagh out of it using illegal methods. Is as simple as that

What's unfortunate is that if Sean was using his rules of engagement he would take the head of him, he's a wee tub of lard FFS.

But the thing is McKeever's rules of engagement are illegal and he should be punished accordingly, in the match earlier this month it was a scuffle between Findon and Cavnagh that was over until McKeever arrived and all hell broke loose.

He rightly got a red and long may it continue for his behaviour

Hahaha catch yourself on!!

LurganHoop

omaghjoe...has it gotten to the stage where you actually want to argue about who would win in a fight?! Playground stuff pal. Grow up.

omaghjoe

Quote from: LurganHoop on January 20, 2015, 04:37:36 PM
omaghjoe...has it gotten to the stage where you actually want to argue about who would win in a fight?! Playground stuff pal. Grow up.

Hmmm....I seem to remember someone's repsone to cheap shots as

"If you want to box we'll box"

I was only offering the perspective of your messiah.  ;D

But your right its not relevant in this case as neither want to box. Sean wants to play football and the bar stool hardman wants to try and take him out of it when he's vulnerable

armaghniac

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 20, 2015, 03:58:37 PM
Exactly Illdecide so a bit like with Tyrone and the diving, ye have been labeled with it whether ye like it or not.

except in the truth of the labelling, Tyrone did dive.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LurganHoop

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 20, 2015, 04:49:26 PM
Quote from: LurganHoop on January 20, 2015, 04:37:36 PM

Hmmm....I seem to remember someone's repsone to cheap shots as

"If you want to box we'll box"

I was only offering the perspective of your messiah.  ;D

But your right its not relevant in this case as neither want to box. Sean wants to play football and the bar stool hardman wants to try and take him out of it when he's vulnerable

So  you're now saying you want to box as opposed to playing football?  Sure you're  sorted either way considering big Sean would carry the head off any poor soul who tries to take him on...

On the  "let's box" issue...I'm sure more than a few Tyrone people would have preferred that attitude  when Philip Jordan was clothes lined during  the  previous  IR test.

And vulnerable....hardly! It's not like he dropped a  cowardly knee on him when cavanagh was on the ground...

Throw ball

Quote from: Muzz on January 20, 2015, 04:01:00 PM
Yellow,
Simple question for you.

1. Don't go crying like babies - wasn't that because there was a self imposed media ban and weren't allowed to cry?

2. Nobody has got injured - What happened Dunne then during the altercation?

Without wanting to get involved in all this crap - it is only a McKenna Cup match - I feel it is important to point out that Martin Dunne injured himself punching Jamie Clarke. He got a ban for his troubles.