McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: sam03/05 on January 14, 2014, 06:34:28 PM
Time to pull the College teams out of this competition.
They barely ever win a game, bring nothing in terms of attendance etc.
the county teams need the players as the league starts in Feb.

Just make it a competition for county teams again, simple.
if tyrone don't want to play by the spirit of the competition its time to put them out. are tyrone struggling for players so much that they cant do without the uni players.
nil satis nisi optimum

rrhf

The problem here is that the universities cant compete without stealing the county players.  You have one club, one county but you can have 3 different Universities or Polytechnics you can play for.  University football lost my respect when they set Donegal men loose round Belfast in Toyota Celicas..

stronghold

Quote from: rrhf on January 14, 2014, 07:29:28 PM
The problem here is that the universities cant compete without stealing the county players.  You have one club, one county but you can have 3 different Universities or Polytechnics you can play for.  University football lost my respect when they set Donegal men loose round Belfast in Toyota Celicas..

Total nonsense

Redhand Santa

Quote from: donegal lad on January 14, 2014, 07:08:06 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on January 14, 2014, 06:34:28 PM
Time to pull the College teams out of this competition.
They barely ever win a game, bring nothing in terms of attendance etc.
the county teams need the players as the league starts in Feb.

Just make it a competition for county teams again, simple.
It's not that long ago a college team was in the foal of the competition. Fermanagh were beat by a college team the year. No other province has any bother with college tens playing in their competitions and the majority of teams in ulster are the same. Tyrone set the precedent by having all their college payers in their squad and other counties followed (Armagh with Jamie Clark). I'd ask anybody to tell me what Mickey Harte has learnt about someone like mattie Donnelly over the course of the competition that he didn't already know

I'd say he's hoping to learn how he reacts to a bit more responsibility given that he is me of the most experienced players in the squad now with all the absentees. He was given the chance to captain his county v Donegal, something which I'm sure mattie considers a great honour. He's also getting to experiment with him in the full forward line, a place he hadn't got much experience at county level.

Apart from that he needs the likes of him in order to give the younger players the chance to integrate at the level. No point n sticking a complete team of rookies out.

I'd say being involved with tyrone will improve matter Donnelly as a player at the level as opposed to being in his uni team. He's still learning all the time and there's no doubt the county games particularly the knock out ones are of a higher standard than those involving students which often lack bite.

sam03/05

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 14, 2014, 06:37:32 PM
Be hard for them to win a game when half the team is with the County teams. By taking out the 3 College teams, that would be a game less, and since Tyrone love the competition so much, that would be a game less for them ahead of the National League. A game less to look at players

The other 3 provinces have no problem with the college teams.

Not really - just play two groups. A group of five and group of four. Play games on a Sunday and Wednesday, that way we get more games.

ck

Mickey Harte runs the McKenna Cup from his chaise longe as he gets fed grapes by ulster council reps and is fanned with big feathers by tyrone county board officials.

rodney trotter

Quote from: sam03/05 on January 14, 2014, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 14, 2014, 06:37:32 PM
Be hard for them to win a game when half the team is with the County teams. By taking out the 3 College teams, that would be a game less, and since Tyrone love the competition so much, that would be a game less for them ahead of the National League. A game less to look at players

The other 3 provinces have no problem with the college teams.

Not really - just play two groups. A group of five and group of four. Play games on a Sunday and Wednesday, that way we get more games.

3 games is enough with the College teams. Tyrone should organize a few challenge games if they want more games

Redhand Santa

I personally think there is too much emphasis on university football. It's about the universities flexing their muscles and in some cases trying to do out do each other. Players are only there normally for 3 or 4 years max and I find it hard to believe that anyone has huge loyalty to that uni, certainly not compared to their club or county. The games do not exactly attract a huge following. I wonder do the people on here who keep knocking tyrone actually follow university football?

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ck on January 14, 2014, 08:56:13 PM
Mickey Harte runs the McKenna Cup from his chaise longe as he gets fed grapes by ulster council reps and is fanned with big feathers by tyrone county board officials.
He should get the cup named after him.

supersarsfields

Out of interest how many Tyrone players are being pulled away from the Uni teams in comparison to other counties?

stronghold

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 14, 2014, 10:43:47 PM
Out of interest how many Tyrone players are being pulled away from the Uni teams in comparison to other counties?
Tyrone have taken 10
Down 2
Monaghan 2
Fermanagh 1
Armagh and Antrim won't let their uni players play against them
So against Antrim UUJ where without 11 players

Itchy

GAA should make an enforce a rule that colleges have 1st call on players. Cavan don't involve students or u21s yet can still field a competitive team. Are we expected to believe Tyrone can't. I'm getting a bit sick of Mickey Harte and his whinging. Man up and grow a pair ulster council.

Whishtup

Quote from: ck on January 14, 2014, 08:56:13 PM

I was thinking more blackberries and brackens.

orangeman

There's a lot of Tyrone boys at university. They must be very smart in Tyrone ?

DuffleKing

Na, the most of them are at the Poly