McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

The only club not named in the programme was under the Derrytresk player. Our big moment ruined.

WE EXIST.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Were none of ye in Omagh yesterday?
Was hoping to hear a bit of feedback from the game.
Especially interested on how Grugan and MCKenna did at MF.

Watched the video interviews on teamtalkmag.
Still no black cards handed out. Would be nice to keep that going for a few months.

Sleater

For Monaghan it's good to see some of the new players making their mark. Ryan Wylie has been one to watch ever since he put the brakes on Conor McMcManus in the 2012 Monaghan SFC final. He's certainly proving he's up to this level of football and should be given a good few NFL games to continue his place in the team. Paudie McKenna should get a run against Fermanagh - again he's got the ability to nail down a wing back slot in the team. Vinny Corey and Kieran Duffy ought to be worried retaining their places.

Sadly Johnny McGuigan injured his hamstring against Louth in an U-21 challenge. Hopefully he gets his chance, as he's a natural leader. With Neil McAdam in Oz, the CHB position is up for grabs and it's McGuigan's natural position.

In attack, Jack McCarron has huge ability and his tally against St Mary's indiactes he'll be given an extended run at CHF during the NFL. Midfield is a concern and there is no obvious talent coming through in this sector.

Also good to see Pete Dooney doing well for DCU in Leinster. Dooney struggled to make an impact as a forward last year. Perhaps half back (where he's playing with DCU ) is his best position?

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on January 12, 2014, 03:23:10 PM
Clarke now on for Armagh. JC works miracles.

Hmmm. Clarke came on when Armagh were ahead, and then we lost the game. Clarke also missed a penalty in Cross before Christmas, and Armagh lost to Derry.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

Quote from: Orior on January 13, 2014, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 12, 2014, 03:23:10 PM
Clarke now on for Armagh. JC works miracles.

Hmmm. Clarke came on when Armagh were ahead, and then we lost the game. Clarke also missed a penalty in Cross before Christmas, and Armagh lost to Derry.

So what are you saying?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

FermGael

UUJ have conceded Wednesdays nights game to Cavan.
Cavan through to the semi finals.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

orangeman

Have Monaghan qualified as well ?

Sleater

Quote from: orangeman on January 14, 2014, 09:14:40 AM
Have Monaghan qualified as well ?

no. Lost the opener to Derry by 4pts. I'm not sure if a win against Fermanagh would even be enough for Monaghan.

T Fearon

UUJ conceding fixture to Cavan. Just adds to the farce, who could blame them.

rodney trotter

UUJ released a statement
UUJ in consultation with the Ulster Council have with regret conceded the Mc Kenna cup game against Cavan on Wednesday 15th
January 2014

UUJ find ourselves unable to fulfil this fixture due to circumstance beyond our control
A combination of senior players involved in examinations on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning along with a number of
injuries and a significant number of players involved with their counties has  forced us to concede the game. This decision has not been taken lightly and UUJ  have explored all avenues to avoid having to take this course of action.

We want to put on record that we do not wish to disrespect our opponents on Wednesday night namely Cavan or indeed the Mc Kenna Cup competition itself.

The Mc  Kenna Cup is a competition which UUJ look forward each year and which we have derived enormous benefit from participating in. We look forward to  participating in the Mc Kenna Cup fully again in 2015. UUJ GAA wish to thank  Ulster GAA for their ongoing help and co operation and fully support them in any future initiatives in order to ensure continued third level participation in the
Dr. Mc Kenna Cup in the future. 

Aristo 60

Imagine. University students doing exams  ;D

CSC

Regarding students doing exams

Is this not a good reason why the players should be playing for the colleges? Imagine an arrangement where;
Students of county teams are able to play for their college and play inter county opposition
Fringe players not at colleges can now have an opportunity to play for their county and impress management
Students can train with the college, at the college, which reduces travel time and provides more time to study (yes they do study)
Summary, An arrangement where pressure on students is n reduced and opportunities for fringe players is created.

Wow, when you actually think of the student's well being, this arrangement has so many positives.

But counter to that, let's have a process that suits the ego of a manager, who doesn't really care about the pressure the students are under (exams) and who demands total control.

sam03/05

Time to pull the College teams out of this competition.
They barely ever win a game, bring nothing in terms of attendance etc.
the county teams need the players as the league starts in Feb.

Just make it a competition for county teams again, simple.

rodney trotter

Be hard for them to win a game when half the team is with the County teams. By taking out the 3 College teams, that would be a game less, and since Tyrone love the competition so much, that would be a game less for them ahead of the National League. A game less to look at players

The other 3 provinces have no problem with the college teams.

donegal lad

Quote from: sam03/05 on January 14, 2014, 06:34:28 PM
Time to pull the College teams out of this competition.
They barely ever win a game, bring nothing in terms of attendance etc.
the county teams need the players as the league starts in Feb.

Just make it a competition for county teams again, simple.
It's not that long ago a college team was in the foal of the competition. Fermanagh were beat by a college team the year. No other province has any bother with college tens playing in their competitions and the majority of teams in ulster are the same. Tyrone set the precedent by having all their college payers in their squad and other counties followed (Armagh with Jamie Clark). I'd ask anybody to tell me what Mickey Harte has learnt about someone like mattie Donnelly over the course of the competition that he didn't already know