McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 06, 2014, 10:02:48 AM
Quote from: Orior on January 05, 2014, 10:39:23 PM
Tyrone should be banned from the McKenna cup for not adhering to the rules.

Is there a rule? I don't think it's set in stone. If there was it surely it wouldn't be an option for MH to take the players.

It is not set in stone, but it should be.

I cannot think of any good reason why it is not made a formal rule, and one less county in the McKenna cup will not cause any harm.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

By the sounds of it a good start for the red hand. What chance a big game in omagh next wed

donegal lad

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 06, 2014, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: Cold tea on January 06, 2014, 08:12:23 AM
£9 in to see Armagh v QUB, good to see the Grab All Association in full flight.
Bit steep alright but at long, long last at Newry we were issued with a receipt and it was clear that the stub was retained so that a basic cross-reference with takings could be made. Now I value the huge voluntary efforts of ticket-sellers/admission-men but the GAA has been far too slack in providing oversight arrangements over the years. In a cash business there will always be temptation and this move is overdue. The worst example of this practice was also at a Mc Kenna cup game several years ago between Down and Antrim , moved to Downpatrick at short notice. It was the first game of the Ross Carr and Jody Gormley ( respectively) management eras and a larger than expected crowd turned up. The young man taking the money at one gate didn't even have a bag- he was literally stuffing fivers and tenners into his back pockets. Maybe he was as honest as they come but it was shoddy. So at least our £9 should go to the Ulster Council this time.
They had a similar issue in letterkenny on Sunday. We arrived shortly after throw in to find the stand completely full. We were then sent to a turnstile to pay but when I paid my €10 in I was told there was no tickets left. When I requested some form of proof of payment I was told he had none and to just go on in. I'd estimate there was 40/50 people entering at a similar time and none of these would of been issued tickets either and met people in the ground I knew who were in from the start and they had a similar issue

our_fella

Ye's are all pretty silly if yous didnt take avail of the Ulster councils ticket for £20/25 euro for all 3 of your teams group matches, both semis and then the final! Works out at £4 ticket. Bargain

donegal lad

Quote from: our_fella on January 07, 2014, 01:08:06 AM
Ye's are all pretty silly if yous didnt take avail of the Ulster councils ticket for £20/25 euro for all 3 of your teams group matches, both semis and then the final! Works out at £4 ticket. Bargain
Yeah that is grand if you can make all 3 games and think your teams will get further than the group. I knew I couldn't make it to the Armagh game away and giving donegals track record under jim in th competition no guarentee they would make the semis

our_fella

Quote from: donegal lad on January 07, 2014, 01:15:07 AM
Yeah that is grand if you can make all 3 games and think your teams will get further than the group. I knew I couldn't make it to the Armagh game away and giving donegals track record under jim in th competition no guarentee they would make the semis

I suppose for yous men out west, it involves a lot more travelling, as the final will probably be in Armagh again.. Good initiative though

cadhlancian

Murphy's goal was a great finish. He did take 8 steps however ::)

regal

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 06, 2014, 02:13:54 PM
The pick up was nice alright but sure nobody went to him as he waltzed in and had time to pick his spot. The other two Tyrone defenders stuck with their own men so he had a clear run in but I suppose he did finish it well.
Of course it's very early days and all that and probably won't have much say in the National League or later in the year but it's great for the young Tyrone lads who came in to say that they went to Letterkenny with no AI medals for the first time in 10 years and beat a decent enough Donegal outfit who looked to have fielded a team intent on getting to the latter stages of this tournament.

Who was the Tyrone lad wearing the thick beard?
How did McBride do at CHB?
Did we play a sweeper?

I don't know, but would guess 4

Cold tea

I like many I was talking to were pretty silly for paying £9 in on Sunday and I for one won't be back - the GAA needs to get it's f**king head out of it's hole, £9 after Christmas to see 3rd rate football, they are greedy bastards.

nrico2006

Been a joke how much it is in to the McKenna Cup for a long time.  I remember in 2008 watching Armagh and Derry and thinking it would be a lock of pound, near dropped when I was told it was £8 (I think, could have been 9).  The two teams were basically reserve sides too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

qubdub

What exactly are people expecting? Champagne football, £3 entry and glossy programmes???

I froze my bollocks off, watched one muck team easily beat another muck team and to be honest  was just glad to see the start of the 2014 season!!

SHEEDY

a fiver would be more than enough to watch what are basically glorified challenge matches. I know the current admission price puts a lot of genuine gaa people off.
nil satis nisi optimum

donegal lad

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 07, 2014, 12:07:40 PM
Been a joke how much it is in to the McKenna Cup for a long time.  I remember in 2008 watching Armagh and Derry and thinking it would be a lock of pound, near dropped when I was told it was £8 (I think, could have been 9).  The two teams were basically reserve sides too.
I didn't mind paying €10 into letterkenny on Sunday. To be fair compared to other Provençal councils the ulster council price their games pretty well. Wait to see the championship compare how much any game in ulster will cost to he much it costs to attend a game in the other 3 provinces.

Also €10 for a county Stich snt the worst seeing as it was €15 to get into the donegal club final a few months back

God14

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 07, 2014, 08:46:48 PM
a fiver would be more than enough to watch what are basically glorified challenge matches. I know the current admission price puts a lot of genuine gaa people off.

I think a fiver would be a good & fair price, however I don't honestly think the extra £4 admission would put that many off going to the game. I think the Ulster council know that as well. They've done their homework.
Attendances would be more affected by things like weather, TV coverage (TG4), team news, location / proximity of the ground. The extra £4 admission is the sort of thing we all like to moan & groan about but ultimately are prepared to pay it

All under 16s in FOC which is helpful.

never kickt a ball

McGrath reign starts with defeat as St Mary's beat Fermanagh

Pete McGrath's reign as Fermanagh manager got off to a losing start as the county side fell to a 3-8 to 1-10 defeat by St Mary's in the McKenna Cup.
Fermanagh made a strong start, scoring the first six points of the game played at a foggy Brewster Park.
But Belfast college St Mary's hit back and a goal by Conal McCann helped them establish a 1-5 to 0-6 half-time lead.
Tomas Canavan got a second goal for the students and they clinched victory when Ronan Sexton netted late on.
In between, Seamus Quigley netted a penalty for Fermanagh.
St Mary's deserved their win, having played some good football and new Fermanagh boss McGrath will have been given plenty to ponder.
McGrath, who led Down to All-Ireland titles in 1991 and 1994, was appointed to the Erne county hot seat in November, succeeding former Tyrone star Peter Canavan was resigned after three years in charge.
New man McGrath could have been forgiven for thinking he was going to enjoy a winning start as the county side led 0-6 to 0-0 after 19 minutes.
However, the men in green failed to score for the rest of the half and McCann got the first goal for St Mary's who quickly added points through Tomas Canavan (2), Aidan Forker, Brendan Hasson and Conor McMahon.
Canavan and Quigley swapped points early in the second half before Canavan scored the second goal for St Mary's to put the visiting students into a 2-6 to 0-7 advantage 14 minutes into the half.
Fermanagh, though, hit back, scoring a goal and three points in eight minutes.
The goal came from a Quigley penalty after the big Fermanagh front man himself had been brought down by St Mary's full-back Niall Donnelly who received the game's only black card as a result.
Fermanagh were a point in front after 25 minutes of the second half but that was to be their last score and St Mary's finished strongly to clinch the victory.
A point by Peter Carragher and a goal by substitute Sexton swung the game their way and then Richard O'Callaghan, playing on his home pitch, scored another point for the college side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/25614277