McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawhide

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 05, 2014, 08:39:35 PM
Funny the only person has a real problem with this rule is himself, tyrone have a large pick of players and am sure lads who dont go to uni and havent played for tyrone and may be a prospect dont get a run out. His problems are no different that any other of the county managers. He rather see the Uni out of the competition all together by the sound of it, where as i thought havent them in, brought the Mckenna cup back to life again

Did you read any of what Harte said, because what he said made logical sense to me especially about having had no games to prepare for the national league with all the players available whereby the uni's have had approx ten games to date already. Nor did u rebuke any of the very valid points he made.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Walter Cronc

He also mentioned the fact the Universities have had challenge matches to prepare for the Sigerson. Just because Tyrone choose not to play them shouldn't mean the Universities suffer.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 05, 2014, 08:39:35 PM
Funny the only person has a real problem with this rule is himself, tyrone have a large pick of players and am sure lads who dont go to uni and havent played for tyrone and may be a prospect dont get a run out. His problems are no different that any other of the county managers. He rather see the Uni out of the competition all together by the sound of it, where as i thought havent them in, brought the Mckenna cup back to life again

I'd say hartes emphasis on the McKenna cup during a time when tyrone where successful did a lot more for the McKenna cup than bringing in the universities. Personally I don't think they add much to it and the uni games are the ones I least like attending.

Throw ball

Quote from: stronghold on January 05, 2014, 08:19:16 PM
Mickey Harte unrepentant over his McKenna Cup stance

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte insists that he has to play his university contingent during the McKenna Cup to prepare his squad for the National League.

The build-up to this year's McKenna Cup has again been dogged by the issue of the university teams losing many of their players to the various county squads but Harte put forward a strong defence of his stance after Sunday's opening win over Donegal.

"Some of the universities will have played 10, 11 or 12 games since late September. We have played no competitive games since we played Mayo (in August)," Harte told BBC Sport Northern Ireland.

"How can we possibly go out to try and formulate a team for the season with the National League starting in the first week of February if we haven't a chance to put our team together?

"It is an inter-county competition. We don't go into any third-level competition and demand that things should be a certain way. They are really invitees to this particular competition.

"They do give us all an extra game and I'm very grateful for that but I think the terms and conditions that we play under should suit inter-county teams first."

Just kick Tyrone out if they do not want to play to the same rules as everyone else! ;D

never kickt a ball

Quote from: stronghold on January 05, 2014, 08:19:16 PM
Mickey Harte unrepentant over his McKenna Cup stance

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte insists that he has to play his university contingent during the McKenna Cup to prepare his squad for the National League.

The build-up to this year's McKenna Cup has again been dogged by the issue of the university teams losing many of their players to the various county squads but Harte put forward a strong defence of his stance after Sunday's opening win over Donegal.

"Some of the universities will have played 10, 11 or 12 games since late September. We have played no competitive games since we played Mayo (in August)," Harte told BBC Sport Northern Ireland.

"How can we possibly go out to try and formulate a team for the season with the National League starting in the first week of February if we haven't a chance to put our team together?

"It is an inter-county competition. We don't go into any third-level competition and demand that things should be a certain way. They are really invitees to this particular competition.

"They do give us all an extra game and I'm very grateful for that but I think the terms and conditions that we play under should suit inter-county teams first."

Is that Tyrone's new tactic? Makes sense to me. Down with them universities and their fly out menus.

haranguerer

Mickey Harte has a job to do, and he's dead right to try to do it in the best way he can. What concern is it of his if it makes the games less competitive, or doesn't help the universities preparation for Sigerson, if he lays claim to the players he wants to see play for Tyrone?

stronghold

Mickey as usual pontificates but is highly selective to say the least and should be challenged on a number of issues
1. The Mc Kenna cup is no longer an inter- county competition. It is a competition organised by the Ulster Council which the 9 counties of Ulster and the 3 University colleges are invited to participate.
2. To say that the universities have already had 10-12 game is complete nonsense. Queens and St Mary's had 3 games in October and early November. UUJ had 6 because they went on to win the league.
3. The league in October/November is played in the middle of the Ulster club championship. None of the Universities can get their full team out before Christmas
4. The Universities may have had one challenge game from Christmas.
5. All of the Universities and  Colleges in the other three provinces have their full complement of players in their competitions,allowing them to have a number of games at full strength in preparation for Sigerson, which starts the end of January. None of the counties in the other provinces seem to have a problem. In fact most actively encourage and support their university teams.
6. Failure to have all their players in the Mc Kenna cup means the the Ulster universities are not competitive and is placing them at a distinct disadvantage  in Sigerson.
7. A total disregard for the competition regulations and the spirit in which they are made and endorsed by the counties each year.
8. It is clear that in some counties the county manager runs the show and the county board has lost control.

BennyHarp

Quote from: stronghold on January 05, 2014, 09:57:47 PM
Mickey as usual pontificates but is highly selective to say the least and should be challenged on a number of issues
1. The Mc Kenna cup is no longer an inter- county competition. It is a competition organised by the Ulster Council which the 9 counties of Ulster and the 3 University colleges are invited to participate.
2. To say that the universities have already had 10-12 game is complete nonsense. Queens and St Mary's had 3 games in October and early November. UUJ had 6 because they went on to win the league.
3. The league in October/November is played in the middle of the Ulster club championship. None of the Universities can get their full team out before Christmas
4. The Universities may have had one challenge game from Christmas.
5. All of the Universities and  Colleges in the other three provinces have their full complement of players in their competitions,allowing them to have a number of games at full strength in preparation for Sigerson, which starts the end of January. None of the counties in the other provinces seem to have a problem. In fact most actively encourage and support their university teams.
6. Failure to have all their players in the Mc Kenna cup means the the Ulster universities are not competitive and is placing them at a distinct disadvantage  in Sigerson.
7. A total disregard for the competition regulations and the spirit in which they are made and endorsed by the counties each year.
8. It is clear that in some counties the county manager runs the show and the county board has lost control.

And what has any of this to do with a county manager preparing his team for the National League?  In an age of county players preparing to a near professional level - it is nuts really to think Harte will happily let a significant proportion of his squad go and play for someone else in the only real warm up competition available. The universities add nothing to competition and Harte is perfectly within his rights to focus on his own team - maybe that's why he has 3 all Ireland's to his name?
That was never a square ball!!

rodney trotter

Why doesnt he play challenge games like any other co manager.? Challenge games and Mckenna cup games are effectively the same thing, experimenting looking at players. He has a great track record doent mean what he does  re the college teams is right

Orior

Tyrone should be banned from the McKenna cup for not adhering to the rules.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Redhand Santa

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 05, 2014, 10:34:45 PM
Why doesnt he play challenge games like any other co manager.? Challenge games and Mckenna cup games are effectively the same thing, experimenting looking at players. He has a great track record doent mean what he does  re the college teams is right

Donegal won a couple of challenge games before today yet looked of the pace in the 2nd half. I think Harte could be right on them being a waste of time. Very different to real match situations.

Nally Stand

Quote from: J70 on January 05, 2014, 05:51:54 PM
Just remember boys, its McKenna Cup.

In January.

Though to listen to the roars and screams and all with all the fist pumping from the Donegal support after each of their scores, you'd have thought it was an All Ireland title on the line.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

BennyHarp

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 05, 2014, 10:34:45 PM

It's right for his team and that's what his remit is. Just because every other manager does it, doesn't make it the right thing to do either. I wouldn't reckon Mickey Harte should be taking his lead from Paul Grimley, Baker,  et al. Maybe his great track record is due to being single minded about what is best for his team?

rodney trotter

Possibly, He wants to win and all competitions. But if you hammered a half strenght college team, are you learning much? At least when they are full strenght you will have  had a competitive game, as a big county like Tyrone would hardly be stuck for players

BennyHarp

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 06, 2014, 12:03:37 AM
Possibly, He wants to win and all competitions. But if you hammered a half strenght college team, are you learning much? At least when they are full strenght you will have  had a competitive game, as a big county like Tyrone would hardly be stuck for players

It's not about Tyrone being stuck for players and it's not about hammering Uni teams. Once the season starts Harte wants everyone available to him. I'm just surprised most people think this is such a crazy idea. You are absolutely right, there is little benefit in hammering a Uni team and I'll say Mickey puts little store in those games - but there's also little point in playing games without a significant number of your squad. It's not Hartes job to help prepare Queens or UUJ for the Sigerson Cup, his job is to prepare Tyrone for the National League and it's very important these days to remain in division 1 to maintain a high quality preparation for the championship.