McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Jim McGuinness keen to 'get rolling' with Donegal for Dr McKenna Cup -

From Donegalnews.com

JIM McGuinness has the look of a man who's counting the days down to the start of the new season. Donegal's first game of 2014 will be against Tyrone in the Dr McKenna Cup on January 5th – in 51 days' time. Seven weeks from Sunday, the old rivals McGuinness and Mickey Harte will cross paths again, but they will be very much in experimental mould. McGuinness and his new backroom team of Damian Diver, Paul McGonigle and John Duffy have spent the last number of weeks devising programmes for their players and getting them assessed by the medical team. The new-look squad includes those players McGuinness has added to his ranks: Ciaran Bonner, Leon Thompson, Christy Toye, Conor Classon, Antoin McFadden, Thomas McKinley, Stephen McLaughlin, Hugh McFadden, and Darach O'Connor. Donegal have been paired with Tyrone, Armagh and Queen's University in the McKenna Cup and it is expected that McGuinness will rotate the squad through those three fixtures. "We have a good competitive group and it'll be interesting to see how it rolls," McGuinness said. "We're looking forward to getting started now. "We'll have a number of players tied up with colleges so we'll be able to look at the squad in a broad sense and seeing how much playing time we can allocate to players." While some of his players, like Patrick McBrearty, Hugh McFadden, Ryan McHugh and Mark McHugh could be otherwise engaged with commitments to college teams, McGuinness will have most of his main men. With Michael Murphy not having returned to college, something McGuinness says is a 'nice wee bonus', Donegal's totemic captain will be available from the off this time around, handing them a significant boost. The medical team have been working on getting some ailments cleared up. David Walsh recently underwent a hernia operation while Paddy McGrath had an operation to correct an abductor tendon muscle injury which prevented him from lining up for Ardara in the Club Championship. McGrath is aiming to be back for January, but could be kept in cotton wool until the start of the National League in February. Walsh and McGrath have been able to do jogging while Christy Toye, McGuinness says, is back 'on the road to recover' and Karl Lacey, the 2012 Footballer of the Year,  'is in good shape' having missed the bulk of the 2013 campaign. McGuinness said: "He is still working on his rehab plan from last season and is doing a lot of work on his own to get back to full fitness again." The memories of the All-Ireland quarter-final hammering against Mayo are still knawing at McGuinness's mind and the Donegal manager hopes the few months off will have done his charges the world of good. 2013 saw Donegal lose their grip on Ulster and All-Ireland titles, but the manager can't wait to get back on the bike again. He said: "We'll have had a long break since we were out in the Championship and we'll be going into it a lot fresher. "We are looking forward to the season ahead. We have an opportunity now to go and enjoy our football." 2014 Dr McKenna Cup: Section A - QUB, Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh Section B - St Mary's UCB, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Derry Section C - UUJ, Down, Antrim, Cavan * Ulster GAA will once again be selling a limited number of competition tickets for the 2014 Dr McKenna Cup which will permit you access to Round 1, Round 2 and Round 3 games involving your team, both semi finals and the final for just £20/€25.

never kickt a ball

Fergal 'Doc' back as Foreglen duo named in McKenna Cup panel

THE DOC IS IN . . .Fergal Doherty will make a welcomed return to the Derry senior panel for 2014.
by Michael Wilson

Brian McIver is planning to put Joe Kernan out of work after confirming Foreglen duo Oisin Duffy and Niall McFeely will form part of a McKenna Cup panel which welcomes Fergal Doherty back to inter-county football.

Current Crossmaglen and Ulster Inter-Provincial manager Kernan has been appointed as a mediator by the Ulster Council should any disputes arise concerning colleges and universities having first preference on county players for the pre-season competition, something which last year led to Queen's withdrawing from the tournament. The Derry manager, however, does not expect to be speaking to the former Armagh boss any time soon.

"I have never had any problem with boys playing for their colleges," explained McIver after this week's group draw, "If we have a player is playing for his university or college and we want to have a look at him, we will send someone to the game to watch him or get a video of the game. As long as the boys are getting football by that stage I'm happy enough.

"I don't think I will be talking to Joe (Kernan) any time soon in that regard. In fact, I can safely say we could make Joe redundant on that front!" he smiled.

The Derry boss met with his panel for the first time last weekend to discuss preparations ahead of the resumption of group training in December and revealed O'Brien's duo, Oisin Duffy and Niall McFeely, will be among a number of new faces to get a chance to shine in 2014. Also included will be Ballinascreen duo Mickey McShane and Ciaran Conway, who both excelled in their club's run to the Derry Senior Championship final, while Ciaran McGoldrick and Niall Holly of Coleraine and Karl McKaigue from Slaughtneil are also in the squad.

"We have brought in a few new lads into the panel which will keep things fresh. We have a tricky enough group with last year's Ulster champions Monaghan, St. Mary's and Fermanagh, who are under new manager Pete McGrath which means all their players there will want to make a real impression but that's what you want. You want tough games to test yourself. We want to try and win all the games but also to get a look at as many players as possible.

"It has been a few years since we met Monaghan competitively but they have always been hard games and I would expect nothing less when we meet."

The return of Doherty to the Derry colours is a major boost, especially given the loss to long term injury of PJ McCloskey. The Banagher player was superb when he played last season and his absence was keenly felt but McIver claims Doherty brings both experience and class to an area which has been troublesome for the Derry boss.

"We have brought a few new lads into the panel which will keep things fresh. We met up as a panel last week just to talk and let the players know what was happening and it is great to have Fergal Doherty back again. There was no arm-twisting needed, Fergal was keen to play inter-county football again and we are delighted to have him back.

"He is over the injury problems which he had over the past couple of years and will be a big boost for us. He brings great leadership and gives us a great option at midfield. That is an area where we have had a couple of bad injuries, something we were acutely aware of, but Fergal is an experienced player who knows what is expected when you play for Derry."

After last year's promotion to Division One, the Derry manager knows this season will see a step up in class in the National League but he is looking forward to the challenges that await his side.

"The McKenna Cup is great in terms of getting the season off to a competitive start and allowing us to get a look at players in competitive games as we prepare for the National League. I think we start with Monaghan, last year's Ulster Champions, in the McKenna Cup; with Tyrone in the National League and Donegal in the Ulster Championship so we could not have asked for a bigger challenge to begin each competition with but those are the challenges you want and it will be nice to get going again."

Derry Journal

Walter Cronc

What is this Cardinal O'Fiach (apologies on spelling) Cup??

I see derry have entered it anyway.

never kickt a ball

Saffrons boosted by quintet's return
20 November 2013

Five of the top footballers in Antrim have been recalled to the county squad by new manager Liam Bradley.

The Glenullin man's "second coming" as manager has started on a positive note with the return of the Cargin trio Tomas McCann, Tony Scullion and Michael McCann, along with St. Gall's forward CJ McGourty and Portglenone's Niall McKeever, who has returned from a four-year stint in Aussie Rules.

Outgoing manager Frank Dawson dropped Tomas McCann and Scullion on the eve of this year's Allianz League encounter with Monaghan in Clones over travel arrangements, while Michael McCann withdrew his services owing to work commitments. McGourty, meanwhile, wasn't considered by last season's management.

On the minus side, experienced duo Aodhan Gallagher and Sean Kelly have turned down invitations to rejoin the panel, with Gallagher set the spend the next year in Cardiff.

"I have Tomas McCann back, I've Michael McCann back, I've CJ McGourty back and Tony Scullion," Bradley told the Irish News.

"Those are the type of players who I feel should be stepping up to the mark, putting their shoulder to the wheel and pulling Antrim out of Division 4 next year.

"I made 39 phone calls and I got a response from 34 players. That can't be bad. There are only about three of that 34 that are U21, so it shows those guys are still interested in playing for the county. I got five negative responses and unfortunately they are players I'd love to have had.

"Aodhan Gallagher is going to Cardiff and is taking a year out. Sean (Kelly) didn't want to come back next season.

"The only reason he went back and played championship last season was because his father is great with Frank Dawson and I'd rather he tells me now than later. I appreciate that. But 'Aidso' and Sean Kelly are two players I'd love to have had." - See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/Antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=205026#sthash.i9Uzuo3s.dpuf

never kickt a ball

Quote from: FermGael on November 12, 2013, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on November 12, 2013, 07:45:09 PM
Sorry left out this from previous post:

Ulster GAA also confirmed that Ulster Inter-Provincial Joe Kernan will serve as a mediator for any player disputes in the competition.

Why can't the ulster council  grow a set and actually make a decision?

Kernan seeks 'common ground'
21 November

McKenna Cup mediator Joe Kernan insists he won't pressurise inter-county managers into releasing players to their colleges.

The Crossmaglen and Ulster inter-provincial manager was appointed last week to mediate in disputes between county and college teams ahead of the start of next season's Ulster pre-season competition. Under the rules of the McKenna Cup, colleges are entitled to have first call on student players, but some inter-county managers - including Tyrone's Mickey Harte - haven't always complied.

Speaking to the Irish News, Kernan said he will be relying on the goodwill of managers in a bid to resolve any disputes which may arise.

"I'm not there to beat someone and say: 'If you don't do this, then this will be your penalty.' All I will be saying is that they have released no players. I will ask them: 'Is there any player you can release which will help the colleges field a team?'

"I will remind them that their players will still be playing matches and they will be able to watch them. My job is very simple. If people don't want to talk to each other, I will go in between and ask a few questions."

The former Armagh boss added: "When I was a county manager myself, we always tried to facilitate the colleges and we did release players.

"My only problem with colleges was when they used players who we knew were injured. Then I had a problem. Otherwise, we facilitated the colleges.

"Like the referees, like the media, everybody has a job to do and you try to facilitate as many people as possible. You are not always going to make everybody happy, but there should be a bit of common ground." -

See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=205070#sthash.blhudBhs.dpuf

BennyCake

This thing with big Joe as mediator is nonsense. County managers don't care about any university team, they only care about themselves. Guaranteed, there'll be plenty of players caught in the middle. The Ulster council are relying on the goodwill of managers to allow their players to play for their colleges. It won't happen.

They had a year to sort it out. It should have been sorted out 5 or 6 years ago, truth be told. A rule should be made saying either counties have first choice or the colleges. Or each county can have a certain number of college players etc. Grab the bull by the horns, and make a proper feckin' decision on the matter, otherwise we'll have more of what happened last January.

never kickt a ball

Sunday 5th January at 2pm

Round 1

Section A

Donegal V Tyrone
Armagh V QUB

Fermanagh V St Mary's
Monaghan V Derry

Antrim V Cavan
Down V UUJ

Sunday 12th January at 2pm

Round 2

Tyrone V QUB
Armagh V Donegal

Monaghan V St Mary's
Derry V Fermanagh at Owenbeg

Antrim V UUJ
Cavan V Down

Wednesday 15th January at 7.30pm

Round 3

Tyrone V Armagh
Donegal V QUB

Fermanagh V Monaghan
Derry V St Mary's

Down V Antrim
Cavan V UUJ

Semi Finals Sunday 19th January

Final Saturday 25th January

ck

Quote from: BennyCake on November 22, 2013, 01:07:29 AM
This thing with big Joe as mediator is nonsense. County managers don't care about any university team, they only care about themselves. Guaranteed, there'll be plenty of players caught in the middle. The Ulster council are relying on the goodwill of managers to allow their players to play for their colleges. It won't happen.

They had a year to sort it out. It should have been sorted out 5 or 6 years ago, truth be told. A rule should be made saying either counties have first choice or the colleges. Or each county can have a certain number of college players etc. Grab the bull by the horns, and make a proper feckin' decision on the matter, otherwise we'll have more of what happened last January.

What planet have you been on over the last few years? There IS a rule already! It's states that colleges have first pick on players. This is the whole point and it's why Queen's university pulled the plug last year stating that rules weren't being enforced by the Ulster Council. They just turn a blind eye when county managers tell students they have to play with counties. The ulster council still won't enforce rules this year, instead they employ big Joe Kernan to do some PR job for them and then say Oh we did our best to sort it.
Here's the real question, Why is the Ulster Council the only one of the four provinces who has this issue every year? Mickey Harte and Jimmy McGuinness have too much power?
The Ulster Council are spineless cowards and the McKenna cup proves it. They haven't the balls to stand up to ego maniac county managers.

BennyCake

Quote from: ck on November 24, 2013, 01:40:43 AM
What planet have you been on over the last few years? There IS a rule already! It's states that colleges have first pick on players. This is the whole point and it's why Queen's university pulled the plug last year stating that rules weren't being enforced by the Ulster Council. They just turn a blind eye when county managers tell students they have to play with counties. The ulster council still won't enforce rules this year, instead they employ big Joe Kernan to do some PR job for them and then say Oh we did our best to sort it.
Here's the real question, Why is the Ulster Council the only one of the four provinces who has this issue every year? Mickey Harte and Jimmy McGuinness have too much power?
The Ulster Council are spineless cowards and the McKenna cup proves it. They haven't the balls to stand up to ego maniac county managers.

A rule that is continually not enforced, is not a rule.

Mickey Harte is the main culprit. Always has been. He pre-empted things in his Irish News column last week. He'll be selecting any player he wants regardless of Joe Kernan's appointment. The Ulster Council need to grow a set, and stand up to dictators like him.

Rawhide

Lads this is an inter county compo, the mistake was taking in the universities to try and galvanise an already cramped season. Harte's main point is correct, if you are preparing for the league you need your players to be playing together to ensure you hit the ground running. I feel sorry for the universities who agreed to play in the compo in the belief they would have all their players so they could prepare for the sigerson, they have been treated poorly by the Ulster council, but my my point still stands, inter county league games is at the cut throat end of business, no room for generosity.
cccc is a true supporter lol

never kickt a ball

26 November 2013 Last updated at 15:16
Eoin Bradley to skip Derry's McKenna Cup campaign
Derry forward Eoin Bradley says he will continue to play for Coleraine in the Irish League and will miss the GAA's McKenna Cup competition.
The McKenna Cup is seen as a warm-up event during which county managers experiment before the League campaign.
Glenullin club man Bradley, 29, said he had still to decide between playing for Coleraine or switching to Gaelic when the league starts in February.
"I am concentrating on Coleraine and I am enjoying it," said Bradley.
Recently Derry manager Brian McIver ruled out any possibility of Bradley playing both codes when the GAA county season resumes.
Bradley said he understood the stance taken by the Oak Leaf boss.
"I have spoken to Brian about it and I suppose when National League time comes he will be looking for me to play the Gaelic.
"Coleraine manager Oran Kearney has given me a bit of leeway. I was wanting to play both, but Brian doesn't see it that way.
"So I will just play it by ear and see what happens, but I can see where Brian is coming from.
"I am enjoying playing for Coleraine and everyone at the club has made me welcome.
"I will not really know what I am going to do until January or February.
"I will chat is over with my family and decide in the next week or so."
Bradley joined Coleraine just before the transfer deadline early in the season, signing from Championship side Ballymoney United.
He has scored five goals in nine appearances, although the Bannsiders slipped into the bottom three in the Irish Premiership by losing 4-0 away to Coleraine last Saturday.

BBC Sport

never kickt a ball

2014 Provisional Squad Announced

Armagh Manager Paul Grimley has finalised his provisional squad for the 2014 season that includes 13 new members to the squad and 27 of last years retaining their places.  Andy Mallon, an All Star in 2005, now plying his trade in Dublin is back in the squad. After a successful season with their club, Annaghmore trio Mathew McNeice, Oisin McKeever & Ciaran McKeever have been drafted in. Four players who played in the Senior Club Final have also been added to the squad, Kyle Carragher and Paul Hughes of Crossmaglen and Robbie Tasker and Michael Murray of St Patrick's Cullyhanna.
The backroom team to work with Paul in 2014 are Peter McDonnell (Assistant Manager), Kieran McGeeney (Head Coach), Martin McQuillan (Football Coach), Julie Davis (Strenght & Conditioning), James Doyle (Speed Coach), Brian McAlinden, Benny Tierney (Goalkeeping Coaches), Paul Carragher, Sean McSorley (Physio Staff), Paddy McNamee, Michael Treanor (Kit Personnel), Paul Kelly (Team Liason/Operations) and Dr Martin McConaghy (Medical Consultant).

The Full list of players within the squad are below split between those in the 2013 squad and those new to the 2014 squad:
Pilib Mac Fhíobhuí   Philip Mc Evoy   Dromintee
Pól Mac an tSaoi   Paul Mc Entee   Crossmaglen
Niall Mac Eochagáin   Niall Geoghegan   Middletown
Breandán MacDonnchaidh   Brendan Donaghy   Clonmore
Marcas Ó Siail   Mark Shields   Whitecross
Séamus Ó Donnaile   James Donnelly   Killeavy
Séamus Ó Muireagáin   James Morgan   Crossmaglen
Aaron Mac Thiarnáin   Aaron Kernan   Crossmaglen
Finnian Ó Muircheartaigh   Finian Moriarty   Wolfe Tones
Pól Mac Eoghain   Paul Mc Keown   Crossmaglen
Ciarán Mac Íomhair   Ciaran Mc Keever   St Patricks
Garaí Mac Cumhaí   Gary McCoey   St Patricks
Cathal Mac Mhearnáin   Charlie Vernon   Armagh Harps
Stiofán Ó hArailt   Stephen Harold   Carrickcruppen
Séamus Ó Labhra   James Lavery   Maghery
Ciarán Ó Tomhnair   Kieran Toner   Granemore
Seán Ó hAnrachtaigh   Johnny Hanratty   Crossmaglen
Aodhán Mac Fearchair   Aiden Forker   Maghery
Stefan Mac Cathmhaoil   Stefan Campbell   Clan na Gael
Antaine Mac Thiarnáin   Tony Kernan   Crossmaglen
Stefan Mac Fearchair   Stefan Forker   Maghery
Caolán Ó Raifeartaigh   Caolan Rafferty   Granemore
Eoghan Mac Fearraigh   Eugene McVerry   Mullaghbawn
Ruairí Ó Gruagáin   Rory Grugan   Ballymacnab
Ethan Ó Raifeartaigh   Ethan Rafferty   Grange
Brian Ó Mealláin   Brian Mallon   Tir Na Nog
Niall Mac Conmhaoil   Niall McConville   St Peters
Séamus Ó Cléirigh   Jamie Clarke   Crossmaglen
New players to the squad in 2014
Maitiú Mac Naois   Mathew McNeice   Annaghmore
Paudí Mac Ruairí   Paudi Rodgers   Lissummon
Aindriú Ó Mealláin   Andy Mallon   Parnells
Pól Ó hAodha   Paul Hughes   Crossmaglen
Mícheál Ó Muirí   Michael Murray   St Patricks
Aaron Findon   Aaron Findon   St Peters
Riobeard Tasker   Robbie Tasker   St Patricks
Caoimhín Ó Ruairc   Kevin O'Rourke   Mayobridge
Oisín Mac Íomhair   Oisín Mac Íomhair   Annaghmore
Ciarán Mac Íomhair   Ciarán Mac Íomhair   Annaghmore
Féilim Ó Néill   Phelim O'Neill   St Pauls
Ciarán Ó Raifeartaigh   Ciaran Rafferty   Madden
Kyle Mac Fhearchair   Kyle Carragher   Crossmaglen

orangeman

41 players.

Good looking squad there. Armagh with Mc Geeney and Grimley will be a force in the coming years.