McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Did ye all read Brian McGuigan's article in the GL this week about how Monaghan always come into Tyrone games as favourites. Interesting how many Omagh lads in the squad now. Wonder how young Clarke will do this year.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 25, 2013, 11:59:18 PM
Did ye all read Brian McGuigan's article in the GL this week about how Monaghan always come into Tyrone games as favourites.

I didn't see that. He may have said that but I doubt many would believe it, including the bookies who have Monaghan at 11/4..

I read on another forum that: 'Brian McGuigan said in an article in the Gaelic Life that Tyrone knew they would beat Monaghan and the Monaghan boys always knew they would lose to Tyrone.'

Contrasting perceptions on the same article in my opinion..

Tyrone have beaten Monaghan when it matters in the last 10/15years so I don't think many grounded Monaghan fans will get too carried away or ahead of themselves.   :-\

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 25, 2013, 08:26:08 PM
Looking at those teams, Monaghan should have a decent chance.

There's plenty of experience through the middle but I'd be concerned about our full back line to be honest. If O'Neill and Donnelly get any kind of right ball they could do harm.. but then again so could McManus and Kieran Hughes!

Mid-field will be where it's won and lost, to use a trite cliche!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on January 26, 2013, 12:12:40 AM
Tyrone have beaten Monaghan when it matters in the last 10/15years so I don't think many grounded Monaghan fans will get too carried away or ahead of themselves.   :-\

He (Mc Guigan) did say that for the 2003 Mc Kenna Cup Final, with the same teams involved, and for which he was injured, that Monaghan turned us over (rather unexpectedly), but that that was the springboard for unprecedented Tyrone success later in the year.

I could live with a repeat scenario.  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

Quotethat Monaghan turned us over (rather unexpectedly), but that that was the springboard for unprecedented Tyrone success later in the year.

So the path of the entire 2003 championship was determined by Monaghan beating Tyrone in the McKenna cup and beating Armagh in the first round in Ulster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

They should never have won in 03, we should have had a penalty and Marsden got sent off because a tyrone man, as only they can do, ran at him and then dived like he was shot when Marsden was only defending himself.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tyroneman

Quote.They should never have won in 03, we should have had a penalty and Marsden got sent off because a tyrone man, as only they can do, ran at him and then dived like he was shot when Marsden was only defending himself.   

Not biting  ;)

But a nice try to be fair.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: stew on January 26, 2013, 02:39:40 AM
They should never have won in 03, we should have had a penalty and Marsden got sent off because a tyrone man, as only they can do, ran at him and then dived like he was shot when Marsden was only defending himself.

Yawn! There are probably relevant threads buried in the annals of this website if you want to continue on your road to recovery...  ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 25, 2013, 11:59:18 PM
Did ye all read Brian McGuigan's article in the GL this week about how Monaghan always come into Tyrone games as favourites.
The only game where Monaghan went in as any kind of favourites was the 2010 Ulster Final - and even then, it was marginal.

Maguire01

I read on another forum that: 'Brian McGuigan said in an article in the Gaelic Life that Tyrone knew they would beat Monaghan and the Monaghan boys always knew they would lose to Tyrone.'
Apart from a league win a few years ago in Inniskeen.

Yep, we've definitely had a mental block when it comes to Tyrone, but if Monaghan look at the Tyrone line-up, it's a different team.

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 26, 2013, 12:20:41 AM

He (Mc Guigan) did say that for the 2003 Mc Kenna Cup Final, with the same teams involved, and for which he was injured, that Monaghan turned us over (rather unexpectedly), but that that was the springboard for unprecedented Tyrone success later in the year.
I suppose then that the league defeat for Tyrone in Inniskillen 2010 had more the feel of a trapdoor about it, than a springboard.

Regardless, you know where you can shove that springboard  ;D

Onion Bag

Don't know if this was asked on the thread or not? Is the game being streamed?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

GrandMasterFlash

Don't think so Onion. I would hope that I'm wrong though.. Northern Sound radio are covering.

Redhand Santa

I'd say the ulster council have cost themselves a lot of money playing the match tonight instead of tomorrow. A dark wet January night will put a lot of travellling. Gives a decent day tomoorow to. Hopefully Tyrone can get 1st cup of the season anyway!