McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: tommysmith on January 12, 2013, 09:29:25 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 12, 2013, 09:19:16 PM
2 years experience of losing. Since when is 2 years experienced anyway?

I said at least two years.  Our team was alot more experienced than Armagh.

James Reilly.  On Panel over 12 years
Oisin Minagh, Killian Brady, Damian Barkey.  Pretty inexperienced here
Padraic Reilly, Alan Clarke, John McCutcheon.  A lot of experience on this line.
Tomas Corr, Gearoid McKiernan.  Corr has been on and off panel over last 7 years, Mckeirnan U-21 winning captin and on senior panel 3/4 years.
Damien O'Reilly, Declan McKiernan, (Mark McKeever. On panel donkeys years) 
Cian Mackey, Martin Dunne, Niall McDermott  Mackey on panel since 2005, Dunne is most inexperienced in this line.  McDermott has been about senior panel a few years.

Now we are nit picking but I say if you are talking truely experienced players you only have Reilly (a keeper), Podge, mackey, McKeever and maybe McCutcheon. How many yrs has Clarke played - not too many I reckon. Tomas Corr was a fringe player for 7 years. The rest are new or 1-2 yrs on the panel, many of which were fringe players too. I don't see a lot of experience in there.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 12, 2013, 09:28:23 PM
Doing Sterling work over on Hoganstand Fred, you must have a bit more free time lately. :)

Some sensible debate required over there, its depressing reading it some times. However - its only 3/4 wums doing the damage. However, its a better spot on here.

tommysmith

I think its not to bad and the youngest on that team would prob be 23 this year.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I made it seven Armagh debutants with Steffan Forker also making his first appearance since 2010 and many of the other players relatively young. The general exchanges were even enough tonight with some comedic Armagh defending for the Cavan goals the difference between the sides.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

When was the last time Antrim bate Tyrone at senior level?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2013, 11:15:22 PM

20 years, an oul 1993 division 3 tie.

ONeill

Quote from: theticklemister on January 12, 2013, 11:21:50 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2013, 11:15:22 PM

20 years, an oul 1993 division 3 tie.

Where was it played?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

naka

Quote from: Itchy on January 12, 2013, 08:37:16 PM
Cavan win 3-09 to 1-11.

Didn't think we played that well and our goals were more bad defending than great forward play but still going to Armagh with such a young inexperienced team and winning should be a boost to our lads heading to the national league.
Enjoyable game Cavan corner forward ( the flame haired guy) was pick of the pkayers on show,
Armagh kickouts very poor as was the defending but all in all some decent performances ,
Both forkers played well, Harold was decent enough/ won't be two despondent .

armaghniac

QuoteSomeone mentioned Stefan Forker made his first appearance since 2010 , thats obviously in the McKenna Cup as he was playing Championship last year and the year before aswell.

Was he?

QuoteHow many lads were Cross missing besides the Cross players?

Cross put up a good performance in the Internet commentary.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

never kickt a ball

Power NI Dr McKenna Cup Tables TONIGHT

P  Won  Draw Lost   F   A   Pts   Scoring
Fermanagh 1   1       0        0      21 13    2     1.615
Monaghan 1    1       0        0      22 12    2     1.333
St Mary's   1    0       0        1      12 16     0     0.750
Donegal     1   0        0       1      13 21      0     0.619

P Won Draw Lost   F   A    Pts   Scoring
Down  1    1       0       0    14 12     2     1.166
Cavan 2    1       0       1    30 28     2     1.071
Armagh1   0       1       0    14 18     0     0.777

P  Won Draw Lost    F   A     Pts  Scoring
Derry 2     1      0       1      31 23    2     1.347
Antrim 1   1      0        0     18 15     2    1.200
Tyrone 1   1     0        0     17 15     2    1.133
UUJ      2   0     0        2     21 34     0    0.617

never kickt a ball

12 January 2013
Dr McKenna Cup: Armagh 1-11 3-9 Cavan

Cavan registered their first win of this year's McKenna Cup with a four-point victory over Armagh in the Section B game at the Athletic Grounds.

Tomas Corr and Martin Dunne scored goals for Cavan in the opening 17 minutes, before Gavin McParland pulled one back for Armagh before the break.

The visitors led 2-5 to 1-5 at half-time and Dunne added his second goal of the game after 42 minutes.

Armagh midfielder Kieran Toner was red-carded in the last minute of the match.

Toner was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

A more experienced Cavan side led from start to finish against an experimental Armagh outfit, which included seven debutants.

Played in front of a crowd of 2,346, Cavan were always in command after their early goal burst.

Midfielder Corr burst through the middle after a great pass from Cian Mackey and drilled a low long-range shot to the net after seven minutes.

Dunne took advantage of a defensive blunder in the Armagh fullback line to curl the ball past Niall Geoghegan.

Ten minutes elapsed before Armagh got their first score through rookie Niall McConville.

Gearoid McKieran's point stretched Cavan's lead to 2-4 to 0-4 after half an hour.

McParland replied instantly with a goal for Armagh, just minutes after he had moved to full-forward, and the home side trailed by three points at the break.

Armagh made a bright start to the second-half with three points in as many minutes but Dunne's fisted goal after 42 minutes wiped out their good start.

Stefan Forker was impressive for Armagh and hit 0-6, four from frees, while McKiernan hit four from play for Cavan.

The result means that the final game in Section B between Down and Armagh on Wednesday will decide who goes through to the semi-finals of the competition.

Armagh: N Geoghegan; C McKeever, J Donnelly, F Moriarty; N Rowland, A Forker, M Shields; S Harold (0-1), K Toner; G McParland (1-0), N McConville (0-1), E Rafferty; D Carville, S Forker (0-6, 4f), E McVerry (0-1)

Subs: A Duffy for Rowland (23), C Rafferty (0-1) for Carville (29), B Mallon (0-1) for McConville (48), D McKenna for A Forker (59), S Campbell for Mallon (70)

Cavan: J Reilly; O Minagh, K Brady, D Barkey; P Reilly, A Clarke, J McCutcheon; T Corr (1-0), G McKiernan (0-4); D O'Reilly (0-1), D McKiernan, M McKeever; C Mackey, M Dunne (2-2, 2f), N McDermott (0-2, 2f)

Subs : J Hayes for Minagh (34), N Murray for Brady (47), O O'Connell for Dermott (66), D Tighe for O'Reilly (70)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/20998906?print=true

never kickt a ball

McKenna Cup: Derry 1-13 0-6 UUJ

Brian McIver clinched his first win as Derry manager with a 1-13 to 0-6 McKenna Cup Section C success over UUJ at Celtic Park on Saturday night.

The teams traded points early on but Derry led 1-6 to 0-3 at the break thanks to a goal by debutant Ciaran McFaul on the stroke of half-time.

The Oak Leafers extended their lead in the second half with substitute Lee Kennedy among the point scorers.

Enda Lynn and McFaul were also to the fore as Derry ran out 10-point winners.

Eoin Bradley scored the first point of the match, but UUJ replied soon after and an Aaron Devlin point on 19 minutes made it 0-2 apiece.

A Conor McAtamney point edged the home side in front again and further points from Bradley and James Kielt (2) ensured that Derry took control.

Kennedy made an impact after replacing Bradley at the interval.

Derry started the second half brightly and were 1-10 to 0-4 ahead after 46 minutes.

UUJ, who have lost both of their fixtures, face a daunting trip to Healy Park to play Tyrone on Wednesday night, while Derry entertain Antrim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/20998908?print=true

Throw ball

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 12, 2013, 11:58:43 PM
Quote from: naka on January 12, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
Cavan win 3-09 to 1-11.

Didn't think we played that well and our goals were more bad defending than great forward play but still going to Armagh with such a young inexperienced team and winning should be a boost to our lads heading to the national league.
Enjoyable game Cavan corner forward ( the flame haired guy) was pick of the pkayers on show,
Armagh kickouts very poor as was the defending but all in all some decent performances ,

Yeah Martin Dunne, seems to be in good form. Someone mentioned Stefan Forker made his first appearance since 2010 , thats obviously in the McKenna Cup as he was playing Championship last year and the year before aswell. Very good player.

How many lads were Cross missing besides the Cross players?

Stefan Forker left the Armagh panel in 2010. Not sure if he has even played championship football for Armagh. His brother Aidan played last year.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 12, 2013, 11:58:43 PM
Quote from: naka on January 12, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
Cavan win 3-09 to 1-11.

Yeah Martin Dunne, seems to be in good form. Someone mentioned Stefan Forker made his first appearance since 2010 , thats obviously in the McKenna Cup as he was playing Championship last year and the year before aswell. Very good player.

How many lads were Cross missing besides the Cross players?

Did he not mean Mackey, wearing 13 but not playing there? I thought he was man of match for us with Gearoid for the 4 "McCabe-like" points