McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stronghold

Queens also have games planned against Louth and Crossmaglen and played St Mary's last Saturday

Redhand Santa

Does anyone know if Tyrone trained tonight or if a team was named for Sunday? Always interesting to see who's playing especially with so many new faces. As Derry are likely to be the toughest opposition in the group would expect a strong enough team.

ck

Perhaps a delay due to the latest injury news in the camp? Kyle Coney I hear is injured now

stew

Quote from: Winnie Peg on January 02, 2013, 09:36:40 AM
Would like to congratulate my old Alma Mater on withdrawing from the McKenna Cup. They must be vastly disappointed that the other two Belfast colleges hadn't the balls to do the same.
Feck them, they robbed some of their players a chance to play against Ulsters best players, they are gutless wonders!!!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Club Rossa

Kyle Coney has injured himself alright,think it's the ankle.

DuffleKing

From an Armagh perspective its refreshing to see Johnny Buckley, Fionn Fizgerald and Brian Looney lining out for Kerry this weekend. The hiding away and wrapping in cotton wool of players involved in the latter end of the club championships in recent times has long since puzzled me.

I fail to see the downside of for club players' form, if they are good enough, in competing at the higher level intermittently - particularly so far out from their club fixture.

yellowcard

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 04, 2013, 10:07:19 AM
From an Armagh perspective its refreshing to see Johnny Buckley, Fionn Fizgerald and Brian Looney lining out for Kerry this weekend. The hiding away and wrapping in cotton wool of players involved in the latter end of the club championships in recent times has long since puzzled me.

I fail to see the downside of for club players' form, if they are good enough, in competing at the higher level intermittently - particularly so far out from their club fixture.

Why is it refreshing from an Armagh point of view? Sure its not as if the Cross players are going to be made available for Armagh, and to be honest I can't blame Cross for not releasing them. From an Armagh county team perspective its an annual headache though.

manballandall

No betting on the tyrone/derry game at the weekend on paddy power ...... do they know something we dont ?

mackers

Quote from: yellowcard on January 04, 2013, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on January 04, 2013, 10:07:19 AM

Why is it refreshing from an Armagh point of view? Sure its not as if the Cross players are going to be made available for Armagh, and to be honest I can't blame Cross for not releasing them. From an Armagh county team perspective its an annual headache though.
I agree with DuffleKing.  There is a "rule" that players aren't allowed to play for their club within 13 days of a county match.  Why can this "rule" not be used the other way round? What possible harm could it do some of the Cross players to play for Armagh 5 to 6 weeks before their AI semi final?  Let them play a couple of McKenna cup matches and let the management see them in the shirt.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

DuffleKing

Exactly right Mackers. It makes no sense whatsoever to bar players from the county jersey at this time of year. The thirteen day rule should indeed work in reverse here. It is only in relatively recent times that this approach has been taken. Started in Armagh I might add and spread through the country.

Cold tea

And why would they want to risk injury in a crap McKenna cup competition when they have the potential of winning an all-ireland club championship!  ::)

yellowcard

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 04, 2013, 11:19:22 AM

Exactly right Mackers. It makes no sense whatsoever to bar players from the county jersey at this time of year. The thirteen day rule should indeed work in reverse here. It is only in relatively recent times that this approach has been taken. Started in Armagh I might add and spread through the country.

I'm not disagreeing with this approach, indeed I too would be happy to see it enforced. However you also know that if it was your club involved and you had the option not to release the players to their county team, then you would be hoping that they would exercise this option. There is a big difference in an all county League game and an All Ireland club semi-final. The bigger problem lies with the fixture scheduling imo, and the 2 1/2 month gap between the provincial club finals and AI club semi finals. Playing off the club series before Christmas would be the sensible option because there is no doubt that it has been a serious handicap to Armagh in particular in the last 4/5 years.

BennyCake

Whats the situation regarding the best runner-up? Is it still the same rule, even with only 3 teams in Group B??? Surely not!?

theticklemister

same rule applies

Quote from: BennyCake on January 04, 2013, 01:27:47 PM
Whats the situation regarding the best runner-up? Is it still the same rule, even with only 3 teams in Group B??? Surely not!?

theticklemister

whoever is in group B needs to win it to qualify