McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Give and Go

McMahon's introduction was as important as the sending off. Added greater physicality to Tyrone. Great to see Paddy Bradley recover so well; he was on fire early on but the supply dried up and he couldnt get onto the ball in the second half.
Tyrone won't be too far off the pace. Nor Derry.
Be a bit worried for Derry's mentality; Tyrone look a tighter, more united outfit. Derry lost their way, leaders were lacking and just though the body language of players being subbed was indicative of individualism. 'Taking me off?'

EC Unique

Derry fans seem to be taking this defeat badly :D it is the McKenna cup FFS. Get over it and look forward to the league. I'm looking forward to the double header in croke next weekend.

shezam

thejuice

Nearly fell off the treadmill in the gym this morning after seeing GAA on the telly here. It was a news piece on Robinson going to the game. Pity they hardly showed any of the game. They showed a few dull moments but there you go.

Good to see some progress on that front.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Blue and White on January 29, 2012, 11:14:38 AM
I think last nights final was a bit of a damp squib, totally ruined by an inept referee.  Derry were looking good in the first 20 minutes, winning alot of ball at midfield, solid in defence and kicking some good scores.  Obviously the big turning point was the sending off but gerard o'kane going off before that was a big blow.  Not sure what his injury was but he took a very cynical knee to the head 5 minutes before it and tyrone were definitly targetting him.  O'Kane was playing very well. Cavanagh should have got at least a yellow for the late shoulder charge to the back of Mc Callion (i think).  On the sending off, there was nothing in it, happened straight in front of me and both players were niggling at each other.  The linesman watched it the whole time from about 10 yards away and when Cavanagh hit the ground, the linesman shook his head and told him to get up.  It was the linesman on the far side of the pitch who made the call to send conway off.  Poor refereeing imo.  Cavanagh I think was embarassed by it all, from the resulting free kick he fell twice and decided to stay down the third time.  Havnt heard much about his injury but he cried wolf a few times too many to deserve sympathy and out of embarassment I think he took the decision himself to stay down. 

This ruined the game and it must have been awful to watch on TV.  Derry put O'Boyle to midfield but I wish they had brought on a midfielder and kept O'Boyle where he was at.  After the derry goal i could see brennan telling the derry midfield to put the ball in high on top of him as Tyrone looked vulnerable.  Unfortunately we didnt get the chance after the sending off.  Would have loved to have seen Patsy coming on.

All in all a good McKenna cup for derr, Morrow looked good and up until the sending off the defence seemed able to cope, though we couldnt get men back quick enough as the game wore on and this meant that Dillon was left isolated on O'neill alot.  Add in the kielts, muldoon, skinner and decky mullan and we might get a good run in the league!!

:D :D

Were you even at the game? After the sending off Bradley decided to push him down, can even be seen on the TV coverage. Then with the incident where he got injured, him and McGoldrick were both going for the ball, got tangled up and was accidental that McGoldrick's foot came in contact with Cavanagh's chest as both were falling. Again this can be seen by the TV coverage. He hardly saved himself the "embarrassment" by staying down pretending to be injured. 

NaomhBridAbĂș

thats a blow for cavanagh if he does have two broken ribs - thats gona keep him out for a few weeks/months? Anyone know how long the normal recovery period is for that sort of injury? He had been improving this season - has had a few good spells in the McKEnna cup run...will need him in the league campaign
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Ulick

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 29, 2012, 02:31:26 PM
No sign of Iris though. The Ulster U21 final is more her thing I reckon.

Boom boom...  :D

Fuzzman

EC Unique

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on January 29, 2012, 02:48:49 PM
thats a blow for cavanagh if he does have two broken ribs - thats gona keep him out for a few weeks/months? Anyone know how long the normal recovery period is for that sort of injury? He had been improving this season - has had a few good spells in the McKEnna cup run...will need him in the league campaign

6-8 weeks I would guess.

Real Talk

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 29, 2012, 02:29:05 PM
Quote from: Blue and White on January 29, 2012, 11:14:38 AM
I think last nights final was a bit of a damp squib, totally ruined by an inept referee.  Derry were looking good in the first 20 minutes, winning alot of ball at midfield, solid in defence and kicking some good scores.  Obviously the big turning point was the sending off but gerard o'kane going off before that was a big blow.  Not sure what his injury was but he took a very cynical knee to the head 5 minutes before it and tyrone were definitly targetting him.  O'Kane was playing very well. Cavanagh should have got at least a yellow for the late shoulder charge to the back of Mc Callion (i think).  On the sending off, there was nothing in it, happened straight in front of me and both players were niggling at each other.  The linesman watched it the whole time from about 10 yards away and when Cavanagh hit the ground, the linesman shook his head and told him to get up.  It was the linesman on the far side of the pitch who made the call to send conway off.  Poor refereeing imo.  Cavanagh I think was embarassed by it all, from the resulting free kick he fell twice and decided to stay down the third time.  Havnt heard much about his injury but he cried wolf a few times too many to deserve sympathy and out of embarassment I think he took the decision himself to stay down. 

This ruined the game and it must have been awful to watch on TV.  Derry put O'Boyle to midfield but I wish they had brought on a midfielder and kept O'Boyle where he was at.  After the derry goal i could see brennan telling the derry midfield to put the ball in high on top of him as Tyrone looked vulnerable.  Unfortunately we didnt get the chance after the sending off.  Would have loved to have seen Patsy coming on.

All in all a good McKenna cup for derr, Morrow looked good and up until the sending off the defence seemed able to cope, though we couldnt get men back quick enough as the game wore on and this meant that Dillon was left isolated on O'neill alot.  Add in the kielts, muldoon, skinner and decky mullan and we might get a good run in the league!!

:D :D

Were you even at the game? After the sending off Bradley decided to push him down, can even be seen on the TV coverage. Then with the incident where he got injured, him and McGoldrick were both going for the ball, got tangled up and was accidental that McGoldrick's foot came in contact with Cavanagh's chest as both were falling. Again this can be seen by the TV coverage. He hardly saved himself the "embarrassment" by staying down pretending to be injured. 
I'd say it was more out of fear than embarassmet ... like his brother he's fairlly good at crying
sure they will meet again in the league for the next episode. I think Derry should appeal the James Conway red card unfortunately his reputation doesn't do him any favours

border rabbit

Quote from: ONeill on January 28, 2012, 11:32:16 PM
Good performances from the Donnellys, Mulligan, McCarron, Murphy and Harte (after they went down to 14). O'Neill's point out on the left was the score of the day.

Impressive was the workrate from the forwards. Mattie Donnelly covered every blade of grass and confident in possession. Hughes showed a nice composure on the ball.

I'm still not convinced defensively. Quinn was caught napping for Bradley's goal and that'll happen on the big stage. Bradley outfielded 4 defenders in the first half at one stage. McCarron played well almost as a wing forward and looked good on the eye (took his point well) but commits silly fouls on the back foot. An example was Derry's first of the second half when he tugged Gilligan I think.

Harte was tortured by Lynch in the first 20 and only when Derry went down to 14 and Justin kept an eye on Lynch was he able to express himself. I always wanted to see Harte as CHB but a good CHF will put him on the back foot and Tyrone need him on the ball. As a spare man he was gold dust even with the odd misplaced pass. Carlin is Carlin. He fouls but runs his arse off. Colm Cavanagh - the most ungainly looking footballer. Can't tackle, awkward solo. But he has something about him - sort of a less direct version of his brother - played one hell of a pass for one of Murphy's points.

Midfield? Still not part of Mickey's gameplan.

Add to that a complete cheat! He got Conway sent off for pulling his jersey, and rolled around holding his face! Hope this isnt a trend that Tyrone are reintroducing to their game!  ::)

McCarron, Quinn, Donnelly, Murphy were the pick of the Tyrone players and they are all new faces which is a major plus for them! As for Derry they seemed to lack leadership and drive after OKane went off and Conway was away, Cant see them coming out of 2 this year.

Leo

Quote from: thejuice on January 29, 2012, 01:43:58 PM
Nearly fell off the treadmill in the gym this morning after seeing GAA on the telly here. It was a news piece on Robinson going to the game. Pity they hardly showed any of the game. They showed a few dull moments but there you go.

Good to see some progress on that front.

Thank God they showed little of the game, it was dire!
It is time for us in Ulster to shake off the siege mentality that has gripped not only our notion of how we are perceived eslewhere, but also the  dead-hand negativity that we have brought ot the game of gaelic football in recent years, initailly by Armagh, and, more profoundly by Tyrone - even lately being adopted by tradtional football teams like Donegal and Down.
Never mind the quality, feel the width of the outdoor basketball we have become.
It is a perverse version of the game, supported by flawed ideology from UUJ and similar establishments _ and vested interests with their "coaching" mantra - it is a pathetic spectacle as the bore-fest n TG4 showed last  night.
If it was not for our "county" tribalism who would ever go out of a cold night to watch such anti-joy (and often spiteful) nonesense?
THe big issue in GAA should not be ppayment to managers but the whole question of the calibre of managers and coaches.
We are being sold a pup and it doesn't even bark.
Fierce tame altogether

Fuzzman

Very interesting post there Leo and whilst we've benefited from three All-Irelands mainly because of it then you can see why other managers like McGuinness take it and build on it.

A lad told me about 5 years ago, he's fed up with the win at all costs attitude and the game has become ugly, cynical and downright not entertaining. I didn't get to see the match live last night but from what I heard it wasn't exactly a clean game.
A lot of bad feeling but I suppose we know these two teams love each other. I wonder did Robinson feel disappointed there wasn't more sledging?

Did anyone see why did the Derry keeper and FB react so badly to big Joey. Joey seemed to go in mouthing off to the keeper. Was there words said before that I wonder.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 29, 2012, 10:44:41 PM
Very interesting post there Leo and whilst we've benefited from three All-Irelands mainly because of it then you can see why other managers like McGuinness take it and build on it.

A lad told me about 5 years ago, he's fed up with the win at all costs attitude and the game has become ugly, cynical and downright not entertaining. I didn't get to see the match live last night but from what I heard it wasn't exactly a clean game.
A lot of bad feeling but I suppose we know these two teams love each other. I wonder did Robinson feel disappointed there wasn't more sledging?

Did anyone see why did the Derry keeper and FB react so badly to big Joey. Joey seemed to go in mouthing off to the keeper. Was there words said before that I wonder.

McMahon ran in and roared in his face after he let a very tame shot beat him at the near post. There was no need for it at all and nothing that had went before hand to warrant it. Never had McMahon down as that "sort" before.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 28, 2012, 11:01:53 PM
I think Conway got a red for going for Cavanagh's balls. His hand was around there anyway but not sure how much contact their was. Both were niggling at each other before this but Conway can have no complaints. Happened straight in front of the linesman (Brannigan) but he shook his head and referee appeared to be in contact with Hughes on the far side. Less said about the referee the better, was brutal for both sides. Few more Derry men could have got the line.

PJ had another fine game,McCarron was great at half back and maybe unlucky not to get MOTM but Murphy was very good in midfield. Mattie Donnelly had a good 2nd half and Mulligan and O'Neill were very sharp up front.

Your either a liar or blind, which is it? Conway and Cavanagh where pushing at each other. Cavanagh jabbed Conway who jabbed him back. Never a sending off. Cavanagh lay down to get Conway sent off.