McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: loughshore lad on January 28, 2012, 10:39:49 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 28, 2012, 10:20:44 PM
Quote from: loughshore lad on January 28, 2012, 10:12:57 PM
Justin McMahon is a pale shadow of his former self and has been for a year or more but hopefully he will improve as the year goes on, you could say its early in the year etc but given Tyrone have been training flat out for a good few months at this stage you would think his fitness would be ok.

A good few months? Beginning of January my good friend ;)

Decent enough game for the time of year. I don't know why people are expecting a polished Tyrone and Derry side, it's a long way off that yet. It's about getting good, competitive football under their belts and into a winning frame of mind.

Tyrone are a little further along the path in the regard than Derry, judging by tonight's game. Some might say that Derry had it all to do, being a man down, but I still believe Tyrone would still have won. That said, I don't know how Cavanagh didn't get a yellow for that awful tackle and I can't understand how Conway got a red card.

January 2011  ???  ;)

8)
Testing Accessibility

Archie Mitchell

I think Conway got a red for going for Cavanagh's balls. His hand was around there anyway but not sure how much contact their was. Both were niggling at each other before this but Conway can have no complaints. Happened straight in front of the linesman (Brannigan) but he shook his head and referee appeared to be in contact with Hughes on the far side. Less said about the referee the better, was brutal for both sides. Few more Derry men could have got the line.

PJ had another fine game,McCarron was great at half back and maybe unlucky not to get MOTM but Murphy was very good in midfield. Mattie Donnelly had a good 2nd half and Mulligan and O'Neill were very sharp up front.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2012, 09:09:44 PM
No complaints about the result. Didn't see the red card incident either but may well have been red. Referee absolutely ket as already covered.

As for Derry well a couple were shown up today. Dillon, McCallion, Conway, Forrester I can't see appearing for the Cship. We need GOK, Skinner, Muldoon back and the sooner the better!

Add
Devlin
McBride
Morrow
Mccallion
mckaigue
b mcgoldrick
boyle

and all the subs that came on

LeoMc

I have never been impressed with McCarron at full back, but I have to say he stood out tonight, soild defensivly and strong going forward though occasionally he lacked purpose looking for the lay of or sideways pass.
I would like to see him getting another game or so there to see how he would build on tonight.

omagh_gael

Decent outing this evening. A bit slow to get going but improved as the game went on. Great games from McCarron, Mattie Donnelly and Murphy. Some nice scores and passages of play.

Will be a big step up next weekend.

9.9/10 for Mugsy's effort in second half. Devlin could do nothing but laugh.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 28, 2012, 11:01:53 PM
I think Conway got a red for going for Cavanagh's balls. His hand was around there anyway but not sure how much contact their was. Both were niggling at each other before this but Conway can have no complaints. Happened straight in front of the linesman (Brannigan) but he shook his head and referee appeared to be in contact with Hughes on the far side. Less said about the referee the better, was brutal for both sides. Few more Derry men could have got the line.

PJ had another fine game,McCarron was great at half back and maybe unlucky not to get MOTM but Murphy was very good in midfield. Mattie Donnelly had a good 2nd half and Mulligan and O'Neill were very sharp up front.

Hope you are never called for jury duty. :D :D :D :D :D :D

the green man

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on January 28, 2012, 11:09:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2012, 09:09:44 PM
No complaints about the result. Didn't see the red card incident either but may well have been red. Referee absolutely ket as already covered.

As for Derry well a couple were shown up today. Dillon, McCallion, Conway, Forrester I can't see appearing for the Cship. We need GOK, Skinner, Muldoon back and the sooner the better!

Add
Devlin
McBride
Morrow
Mccallion
mckaigue
b mcgoldrick
boyle

and all the subs that came on

can you name 11 that would replace them?

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 28, 2012, 11:14:31 PM
Decent outing this evening. A bit slow to get going but improved as the game went on. Great games from McCarron, Mattie Donnelly and Murphy. Some nice scores and passages of play.

You are not serious are you, if you are, no wonder your county is being dragged through the gutter from Donegal to
Cork.

the green man

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on January 28, 2012, 11:20:23 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 28, 2012, 11:14:31 PM

You are not serious are you, if you are, no wonder your county is being dragged through the gutter from Donegal to
Cork.

its hard to know how to be more ashamed for, mulligan for the blatant dive, or the ref for being conned so easily

Jinxy

Never trust a man that dyes his hair.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2012, 11:25:08 PM
Never trust a man that dyes his hair.

The next Seanie Johnston?

ONeill

Good performances from the Donnellys, Mulligan, McCarron, Murphy and Harte (after they went down to 14). O'Neill's point out on the left was the score of the day.

Impressive was the workrate from the forwards. Mattie Donnelly covered every blade of grass and confident in possession. Hughes showed a nice composure on the ball.

I'm still not convinced defensively. Quinn was caught napping for Bradley's goal and that'll happen on the big stage. Bradley outfielded 4 defenders in the first half at one stage. McCarron played well almost as a wing forward and looked good on the eye (took his point well) but commits silly fouls on the back foot. An example was Derry's first of the second half when he tugged Gilligan I think.

Harte was tortured by Lynch in the first 20 and only when Derry went down to 14 and Justin kept an eye on Lynch was he able to express himself. I always wanted to see Harte as CHB but a good CHF will put him on the back foot and Tyrone need him on the ball. As a spare man he was gold dust even with the odd misplaced pass. Carlin is Carlin. He fouls but runs his arse off. Colm Cavanagh - the most ungainly looking footballer. Can't tackle, awkward solo. But he has something about him - sort of a less direct version of his brother - played one hell of a pass for one of Murphy's points.

Midfield? Still not part of Mickey's gameplan.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on January 28, 2012, 11:15:59 PM

And your as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. Happened straight in front of me so I probably had a better view of it than you looking at your TV.

ONeill

Another thing - Tyrone got away with a lot of blocking off the ball.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 28, 2012, 11:33:05 PM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on January 28, 2012, 11:15:59 PM

And your as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. Happened straight in front of me so I probably had a better view of it than you looking at your TV.

I was sitting very close to Peter ;) and the sandwiches weren't bad either.