McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

McCarron scores his 2nd point.
Tyrone 1-13 Derry 1-07
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Sea The Stars

I agree about the referee. I'd be a neutral in terms of today's teams but would agree that Derry could feel hard done by a couple of decisions.

Whishtup

Cathal McCarron has impressed consistently throughout the match-otherwise a mediocre performance by all.  Mulligan good first half but not showing for the ball at all second half, apart from swallow dive. 
Top teams would devour either of these teams.  At least Derry have an excuse.

Newbridge Exile

Mccarron has been very impressive , Derry cleaned out in the middle third in the 2md half

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tyroneboi

Thought Cathal McCarron was MOTM. Mickey murphy got the TG4 award somehow!

screenexile

No complaints about the result. Didn't see the red card incident either but may well have been red. Referee absolutely ket as already covered.

As for Derry well a couple were shown up today. Dillon, McCallion, Conway, Forrester I can't see appearing for the Cship. We need GOK, Skinner, Muldoon back and the sooner the better!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: tyroneboi on January 28, 2012, 09:09:09 PM

Murphy had a right game I thought,kicked 2 points and won a good few kickouts
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tyroneboi

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 28, 2012, 09:11:41 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on January 28, 2012, 09:09:09 PM

Murphy had a right game I thought,kicked 2 points and won a good few kickouts

Murphy was decent enough but thought McCarron was excellent throughout.

Sea The Stars

The Kielts will also be an addition to Derry too, no?? Would Tyrone have many players to come back bar Cavanagh?

Looking at tonight's game, you couldn't exactly say the top tier of teams, Dublin, Kildare, Cork, Kerry, Donegal, for example will be fearing wither Derry or Tyrone too much but I get the impression there's more to come from both teams in the months ahead. Somw decisions went against Derry but the ref tried to make up for it by giving a penalty at the end. Tyrone far from clinical when shooting, could have been worse for Derry had Tyrone been more potent up front.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2012, 09:09:44 PM
No complaints about the result. Didn't see the red card incident either but may well have been red. Referee absolutely ket as already covered.

As for Derry well a couple were shown up today. Dillon, McCallion, Conway, Forrester I can't see appearing for the Cship. We need GOK, Skinner, Muldoon back and the sooner the better!

Agreed. SL McGoldrick was prob derrys best player. McCarron and matthew donnelly very good for tyrone. How mulligan keeps fooling the refs with those dives is incredible. Brennan will learn a lot from tonight. There was a really obvious difference in the forward play whcih made tyrone much more threatening. Tyrone forwards always get turned or half turned allowing them to play the ball forward or at least sideways. Derry forwards consistently play the ball backwards which completely slows the move down. Also, sorry to say it but devlin was v poor tonight and not just for the goal.

Oak Leafer

I would not be discouraged in any way after that. The game can be dismissed.

We started extremely well and the new defensive system was effective. The sending off along with countless soft free's given to Tyrone handed them the initiative .

I would credit all our players for not losing the heads and becoming indisciplined.

loughshore lad

Excellent game for McCarron tonight, probably the pick of the bunch for me.

Justin McMahon is a pale shadow of his former self and has been for a year or more but hopefully he will improve as the year goes on, you could say its early in the year etc but given Tyrone have been training flat out for a good few months at this stage you would think his fitness would be ok.

ziggysego

Quote from: loughshore lad on January 28, 2012, 10:12:57 PM
Justin McMahon is a pale shadow of his former self and has been for a year or more but hopefully he will improve as the year goes on, you could say its early in the year etc but given Tyrone have been training flat out for a good few months at this stage you would think his fitness would be ok.

A good few months? Beginning of January my good friend ;)

Decent enough game for the time of year. I don't know why people are expecting a polished Tyrone and Derry side, it's a long way off that yet. It's about getting good, competitive football under their belts and into a winning frame of mind.

Tyrone are a little further along the path in the regard than Derry, judging by tonight's game. Some might say that Derry had it all to do, being a man down, but I still believe Tyrone would still have won. That said, I don't know how Cavanagh didn't get a yellow for that awful tackle and I can't understand how Conway got a red card.
Testing Accessibility

loughshore lad

Quote from: ziggysego on January 28, 2012, 10:20:44 PM
Quote from: loughshore lad on January 28, 2012, 10:12:57 PM

A good few months? Beginning of January my good friend ;)

Decent enough game for the time of year. I don't know why people are expecting a polished Tyrone and Derry side, it's a long way off that yet. It's about getting good, competitive football under their belts and into a winning frame of mind.

Tyrone are a little further along the path in the regard than Derry, judging by tonight's game. Some might say that Derry had it all to do, being a man down, but I still believe Tyrone would still have won. That said, I don't know how Cavanagh didn't get a yellow for that awful tackle and I can't understand how Conway got a red card.

January 2011  ???  ;)