McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 22, 2012, 08:33:13 PM
Anyone at the game wanna give us a wee summary of how everyone did. How was Clarke at full back? What about McKenna and Colm. Great to see Mugsy back getting scores and fighting for his place so early. We often doubt his attitude in the winter months. At the moment are we lookin at Mat Donnelly and RoN the likiest to break into the squad with McCrory and PJ pushing for starting places come summer if they stay fit. Anyone else? So will wee Pete be half back or forward this year.

The defence, by and large, coped well - Conor Clarke did OK, but was out-muscled by Séamus Quigley for their goal (dropping ball into the edge of the square).

Was impressed with the solild assurance and industry of Ronan O'Neill; Colm Cav caught some great ball, worked hard and only once or twice did I have to shake my head in disgust at his silly loss of possession after some good work (on his behalf), which is a big improvement!; Niall Mc Kenna did OK, if unspectacularly so; Ciaran Girvan is probably not quite the finished Senior article yet, but has potential; Kyle Coney didn't quite find his rhythm.

The forwards were poor enough in the first half, but Penrose's introduction sharpened things, with Mugsy the best forward on show, taking  a cracking goal.

Overall, it was a very positive outing, with plenty for MH to ponder.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Denn Forever

QuoteThe forwards were poor enough in the first half, but Penrose's introduction sharpened things, with Mugsy the best forward on show, taking  a cracking goal.

I thought he was retiring?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fuzzman

Cheers FoSB.

So are we any the wiser for a new FB or MF?
Will we see Justy there again for the summer if he's fit or will it be McCarron or Clarke?

What's the story with McCaul? He played in the Antrim game didn't he?
How did he do? There seems good competition all over the pitch now.

How about these forward lines?

Old School

Mugsy      SoN           Mark Donnelly

Sean     Tommy      Penrose     

or new school...

RoN                 J Lafferty     Matthew Donnelly

P.Hughes          P.Harte       Coney       

rrhf

Some have struggled to play well to date and there are also players might be more suitable to the summer that are struggling so far.  I wonder is Tommy carrying an injury or would be a player more suited for the summer time when, after all, the important games are played. 

the goal was on

Whats the crack with the size of panels for the mc kenna cup. I seen the lists of 26 but tyrone have already played 4 guys that were'nt named on the original 26. Has anyone else noticed this. Is this another case of MH doing it his way and not ulster councils.

Tyrone4Sam

Cheers FoSB.

Will we see Justy there again for the summer if he's fit or will it be McCarron or Clarke?

Old School

or new school...

I think you'd need a mixture of both experience and youth in the forward line. I know the younger ones are still learning but until the old hands came on yesterday we had no players stepping up and taking the scores.

Mugsy             Penrose    Sean

Mark Donnelly    SoN      RoN 

With Mattie, lafferty and coney having game time.

Whats the crack with the size of panels for the mc kenna cup. I seen the lists of 26 but tyrone have already played 4 guys that were'nt named on the original 26. Has anyone else noticed this. Is this another case of MH doing it his way and not ulster councils.

A few players have been injured, cassidy and the likes so cathal mccarron and mugsy where brought in. Im not sure if big joe was named in original panel so someone else must have been ommitted from the panel yesterday.

Carmen Stateside

Tommy is in NY with family. Think he misses final aswell.

supersub

Quote from: the goal was on on January 23, 2012, 02:27:32 PM

Aye down did it as well a few including Danny Hughes and Coulter not named on original panel

bustsummoves

Quote from: Tyrone4Sam on January 23, 2012, 02:52:12 PM
Cheers FoSB.

Old School

or new school...

I think you'd need a mixture of both experience and youth in the forward line. I know the younger ones are still learning but until the old hands came on yesterday we had no players stepping up and taking the scores.

Mugsy             Penrose    Sean

Mark Donnelly    SoN      RoN 

With Mattie, lafferty and coney having game time.

A few players have been injured, cassidy and the likes so cathal mccarron and mugsy where brought in. Im not sure if big joe was named in original panel so someone else must have been ommitted from the panel yesterday.
Not sure about Clarke yet not played bad in 2 games he has played in but seems a wee bit raw yet. As for Justy seems to be unfit or has he just lost his form that made him an all star? McCarron playing half back at minute and is playing very very well weather Harte will keep him there is another question, maybe needed in full back line ? lots of questions plenty of time for answers

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on January 22, 2012, 07:30:24 PM
Final is back in Athletic Grounds at 7.30pm on Saturday. Bring your thermals.

Definitely a game of two halves. I would have probably gave MOTM to PJ Quinn or Mugsy. Ronan O'Neill should be good enough for his place in the league now as well.

Seamus Quigley seemed to be carrying an injury, did go down for a time in the first, which is why he maybe didn't have a bigger impact before he went off at half-time. Still managed the goal though, despite 3/4 wayward shots.

Paddy Bradley is a handful. Every ball that went into him, he either took it clean or claimed it after breaking it down. Gilligan always a threat as well.

you wont need your thermals for the high stool or the sofa ! TG4 has it live
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Archie Mitchell

Strong Tyrone team named

Power NI McKenna Cup Final – Tyrone Team

Comórtas: Corn Dr Mhic Cionnaith
Cluiche: Tír Eoghain  v  Doire
Dáta: 28-01-12

1 John Devine – Aireagal Chiaráin
2 Aidan McCrory   - Aireagal Chiaráin
3 Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
4 PJ Quinn – Baile na Móna
5 Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
6 Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Dermot Carlin   - Coill an Chlochair
8 Michael Murphy – An Gallbhaile
9 Colm Cavanagh   - An Mhaigh
10 Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
11 Peter Hughes   - Eiscreach
12 Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
13 Owen Mulligan – An Chorra Chríochach
14 Mark Donnelly – An Charraig Mhór
15 Stephen O'Neill – Clann na nGael

16 Pascal McConnell – An Baile Nua
17 Aidan Cassidy – Eochar
18 Conor Clarke   - An Omaigh
19 Kyle Coney – Ard Bó
20 Jonathan Lafferty – Urnaí
21 Damian McCaul – Domhnach Mór
22 Niall McKenna – Domhnach Mór
23 Joe McMahon – An Omaigh
24 Stephen McNulty – Cluain Eo
25 Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh
26 Sean O'Neill   - An Droim Mhór

ONeill

Wouldn't say it's overly strong. I'd be worried about both defensive wings.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Was impressed wth Michael Murphy last day out (gathered plenty of ball and kicked some great points), and will be interesting to see how he fares from the throw-in.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bustsummoves

Quote from: ONeill on January 26, 2012, 09:14:07 PM
Wouldn't say it's overly strong. I'd be worried about both defensive wings.

Why is this ?

Fuzzman

Interesting to hear you say that FoSB as I was wondering was he just back in to get another chance  and then be dropped again for the league. Does he catch much clean ball? Is he a good fielder?

I'm a bit surprised how experienced a team Mickey is starting and so I reckon its sending out the message we want to win this cup this year and get the winning mentality back for the whole year.
It's been a long time since Tyrone teams have thought that way imo. For the past few years it seems to have been drift through the year, doing enough to stay up in the league and then try to peak for the end of the summer.

Interesting he's stuck with Mat Donnelly and Hughes at 11. I haven't seen these two lads play yet for the seniors whilst McKenna & Coney miss out again. I'd say Lafferty must be disappointed to get a start as I'd say he'd love to get a go at the REAL aul enemy.  :D

Tyrone to upset the recent history and win by 2 points though they'll need to double mark PB like they did so well in Casement a few years ago. I'd say Justy's not looking forward to chasing his shadow all day.