McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

3 Quigley brothers from Roslea Shamrocks who have won back to back championships in Fermanagh and the double last season. Conor oldest (about 26 I think) then Seamy is about 23/24 and Sean is 19/20. All good footballers on their day, Conor being a back is most under rated out of the 3, Seamy is an enigma, quality footballer who comes with a hot temper.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

bennydorano

Armagh v Monaghan was a decent enough game and fairly competitive, Monaghan did miss a shitload in the 2nd half, but 14 man Armagh (and especially Paul Carville 3 frees in last 10mins) showed no small amount of balls to take the win.

Anto Duffy really layed down a marker for the season, superb game, McVerry had a blinding first half and good over all game, no other real standouts, McKeever had a very solid game, Vernon looked ropey in FB, but contributed greatly when shifted out to the HB line and gave us a presence around the MF when we needed it.

everymanaman

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 18, 2012, 09:35:22 PM
Should be a double header @ Casement, that would draw a great crowd.
Double header in Armagh

whitegoodman

Quote from: everymanaman on January 18, 2012, 10:11:56 PM
Double header in Armagh

Is that definite?

Orior

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 18, 2012, 09:45:03 PM
3 Quigley brothers from Roslea Shamrocks who have won back to back championships in Fermanagh and the double last season. Conor oldest (about 26 I think) then Seamy is about 23/24 and Sean is 19/20. All good footballers on their day, Conor being a back is most under rated out of the 3, Seamy is an enigma, quality footballer who comes with a hot temper.

Would 3 Quigleys be a Trigley?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

everymanaman

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 18, 2012, 10:17:50 PM
Double header in Armagh

Is that definite?
Yes-much more atmospheric ground than the one in West Belfast ;D

timmyot501

Monaghan played ok tonight. Too many wides cost them in the end and without McManus for the next while means an over reliance on Finlay. Mind u he did kick 3 or 4 cracking points from play.  Owen duffy did manage to knock over a few nice points too.  But some of the misses were awful. The game had a really good finish with Armagh looking to have won it only for Finlay to fire over the leveller.  The last free was moved back by the ref only for the linesman correctly moving it forward again, not that it mattered because it was superbly fired over the bar by the armagh sub off the ground.  Monaghans other best players were Morgan, Turley and Corey.

sammymaguire

Quote from: everymanaman on January 18, 2012, 10:21:57 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 18, 2012, 10:17:50 PM
Double header in Armagh

Is that definite?
Yes-much more atmospheric ground than the one in West Belfast ;D

Mightn't hold the big crowd. What's the capacity?  ???

Could be a cracking day out if that is right. Shame for all the Armagh heads though suffering without the might of Cross amongst the ranks
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

tyroneman

Marty Penrose, for all his qualities, really needs to learn how to score. His shooting is awful.

ONeill

How did Lafferty perform? Is there life after Philly Jordan in the wing backs?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mid Down Gael

Super Sunday! Both Power NI Dr McKenna Cup Semi Finals will take place on Sunday 22nd January at the Morgan Athletic Grounds, Armagh. The Derry v Down game will take place at 2.00pm and will be followed by Tyrone v Fermanagh At 3.45pm.

Orangemac

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 18, 2012, 09:45:03 PM
Seamy Quigley undoubtedly is the best forward in Fermanagh in terms of talent (what has he scored in the McKenn cup 2-21 in 3 games?) but can Canavan get him to knuckle down and stay committed all year?

ONeill

Great chance to wreck Armagh once and for all etc. Brian Boru my hole.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AFS

Rough enough game in Armagh tonight. Monaghan need to work on shooting. Armagh need to work on passing. Martin Higgins needs to work on not being an officious wee bollix.

Positives for Armagh:
Anto Duffy. Has a serious engine, if he goes well in the league he could solve one of those HF line problems.
Eugene Mc Verry. Had been a bit disappointed by him in previous games but he had an excellent first half before fading a bit.
Paul Carville. Super free taking cameo. Don't know if he'll cut it from open play, pity he didn't get more McKenna Cup time.
Peter Carragher. Didn't do a lot tonight, but he's been one of the most impressive underage players we've produced in recent years and it's good to see him in a senior jersey.
A clean sheet.
A win! Might not get many more of them over the next few months.

Negatives for Armagh:
A lot of dreadful passing.
A lot of dreadful fumbling.
A lot of slack marking in the second half, which would've been costly had Monaghan anyone able to shoot other than Finlay.
Some very quiet displays from boys that looked superb against St. Mary's.
The Vernon experiment not really working, he's much more effective out the field.
No Kingham. Would've been interesting to see if he was capable of backing up Sunday's performance.

Maguire01

Any standout players (for the right or wrong reasons!) for Monaghan, AFS?