Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syd

Is there no hurling people in Armagh? I cant believe there is no reference to Armagh's great performance against Derry today on this forum. I am an Antrim man but was cheering Armagh on today, would have been great to see them make a breakthrough today, with Down and Derry both seemingly regressing a breakthrough may not be too far away. In fairness Armagh had a decent support with them today and Paul Mc Cormack would get on the Antrim team without any bother.

Tony Baloney

Hurling is too fast and skillful for the average Armagh brain to keep up with.

dontcare

Quote from: Syd on May 13, 2007, 09:48:52 PM
Is there no hurling people in Armagh? I cant believe there is no reference to Armagh's great performance against Derry today on this forum. I am an Antrim man but was cheering Armagh on today, would have been great to see them make a breakthrough today, with Down and Derry both seemingly regressing a breakthrough may not be too far away. In fairness Armagh had a decent support with them today and Paul Mc Cormack would get on the Antrim team without any bother.

If you look on page 99 there was a ref made to the Armagh Hurling, it commented on how well they did. Yes i agree Paul mc Cormack would get on any county Hurling team.

Syd

Quote from: dontcare on May 13, 2007, 10:17:18 PM
Quote from: Syd on May 13, 2007, 09:48:52 PM

If you look on page 99 there was a ref made to the Armagh Hurling, it commented on how well they did. Yes i agree Paul mc Cormack would get on any county Hurling team.

Maybe the famous Armagh glory hunting mentality will kick in if the hurlers make good progress.

Tony Baloney

QuoteYes i agree Paul mc Cormack would get on any county Hurling team.

That's not what he said and it is stretching it a wee bit to say he'd get on any county hurling team! One of the standout players in Ulster though. Derry didn't really have a standout player today but Ruarii Convery did they heavy scoring. If Armagh keep at it they'll overtake Derry and Down and be challenging Antrim for Ulster honours within the next few years. The fact that the Derry and Down boards don't give a shit about hurling might have something to do with that!

dontcare

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 13, 2007, 06:47:49 PM
Very easy for the faceless warriors to make these sort of allegations that cant be proven or disproven. All I'll say is that its a bit suspicious that someone who "isnt from either club" would be at a local derby. Why werent you at your own clubs match? And then use their first couple of posts to post soemthing like this which other people at the game have no knowledge of. I cant tell if the fella is lying or not but I'd have my doubts about taking his word as gospel.

And for your information inthemaking nobody in Cullyhanna is "loving it" as you put it. I hope the fella's alright, it was a bad accident and, as anyone at the match can confirm, our clubs official did their best to make sure he was taken care of properly.

There was a lot of other club supporters like myself at this local derby. Sorry if i offended you but i was just stating how i felt when i heard what was said to someone with such a horrific injury and in great pain, yes i agree, we are only going on hear say that i heard from a number of people as i was leaving the match. i hope this hear say is wrong and this was not said.

dontcare

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 13, 2007, 10:26:19 PM
QuoteYes i agree Paul mc Cormack would get on any county Hurling team.

That's not what he said and it is stretching it a wee bit to say he'd get on any county hurling team! One of the standout players in Ulster though. Derry didn't really have a standout player today but Ruarii Convery did they heavy scoring. If Armagh keep at it they'll overtake Derry and Down and be challenging Antrim for Ulster honours within the next few years. The fact that the Derry and Down boards don't give a shit about hurling might have something to do with that!

Ok well he def would make the Antrim team but i have watched him play many times and i do feel he would push a place on any team.

corn02

f**k you benny, we'll take them!   :P

The OGs would need to have improved from last year, their display against Mullaghbawn in the championship was brutal. But all it takes is for a good team such as OGs, ourselves and Harps to have a good day where the scores are going over and the defenders are winning the 50/50s and Cross' grip may be loosened.

I expect it to be loosened this year, by who? I have no idea.

Aghdavoyle

Hard fought win for dromintee today. as usual we made life difficult for ourselves. Maghery scored a late goal to make for an exciting finish. decent win considering we were without probably 7 of our championship team and lost barry shannon at half time. i doubt we'll catch cross this year with news today that one of our best players is fecking off to the states on the beer before the champo. and people wonder why cross have a march on everyone... i doubt any of their men will opt for summer dossing rather than challenging for a championship medal.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on May 13, 2007, 11:14:35 PM

i doubt we'll catch cross this year with news today that one of our best players is fecking off to the states on the beer before the champo. and people wonder why cross have a march on everyone... i doubt any of their men will opt for summer dossing rather than challenging for a championship medal.

The harsh reality of modern life/society I'm afraid! Similar decisions are being made, in their dozens, around the County this Summer. None of these are taking place in Crossmaglen. Yet another symptom of the divide that has success breeding success on the one hand, and failure doing the same on the other. I could give you many similar stories that I know of, but why bother?   >:(

David McKeown

Annaghmore v Wolfe Tonnes

Annaghmore collected their second win of the season with a fine display to see off fellow North Armagh rivals Wolfe Tonnes 2-10 to 1-9.  A blistering start for Annaghmore saw them take the lead through Matthew Willis inside the opening 30 seconds before Wolfe Tonnes had even touched the ball.  Eoin McCormack then quickly doubled the home side's lead with a fisted point from a tight angle after a fast counter attack.  The opening period got even better for Annaghmore as first a Shane Smyth free and then Eoin McCormack's second point increased their lead to 4 points after only 5 minutes.  This opening seemed to spark Wolfe Tonnes into life and they rattled off the next five scores in a purple patch that lasted until the 25 minute.  Eoin McCormack then restored parity for the home side with a 14 metre free.  On the stroke of half time McCormack notched his fourth point of the half to restore Annaghmore's lead before Michael McQuade scored from distance to give the home team a deserved two point lead, 0-7 to 0-5 at the interval.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first half, only this time it was Wolfe Tonnes who scored before their opponents got a touch of the ball.  This reduced the deficit to just one point but this was as close as Wolfe Tonnes would get in the second half. Shane Smyth made a telling intercept in the 34th minute and followed it with a superb fist pass to set Eoin McCormack clear of the Wolfe Tonnes defence which allowed the full forward to cheekily lob the keeper for the first goal of the game.  This seem to lift Annaghmore and when Shane Smyth added his second score of the game 3 minutes later it became clear that they were playing with a confidence that had been missing last week.   Although Wolfe Tonnes got the next score it was all Annaghmore at this stage and when second half substitute Martin Tennyson scored in the 45th minute to leave it 1-9 to 0-7 it seemed as though their could only be one winner. This outcome looked even more likely in the 48th minute when Annaghmore were awarded a penalty after Michael McNiece was fouled following a slick attacking move.  Football though has a knack of producing the unexpected and when Shane Smyth's penalty was well saved it became apparent that the result may not be quite that much of a foregone conclusion.  The save seem to lift Wolfe Tonnes who went on the attack but were met by some stubborn resistance in the form of the Annaghmore defence who were well lead by Patrick McQuade at full back.  Despite this Wolfe Tonnes were able to cut the deficit to just 3 points with 5 minutes to go.  Starting to feel the pressure it was Annaghmore who responded better through Shane Smyth's fifth goal of the season followed soon after by an Eoin McCormack point to leave the scores 2-10 to 0-9 as the match entered injury time.  Again Wolfe Tonnes threw everything into attack but they were unable to make the breakthrough until the 6th minute of injury time when a goal mouth scramble saw them forcing the ball to the back of the net.  This wasn't to be the end of the drama though as Wolfe Tonnes caught the resulting kick-out and sent the ball in long where a defensive mix up resulted in them being awarded a penalty.  To sum up Wolfe Tonnes day though the penalty was poorly struck and was well saved by Damian Willis just as the full time whistle blew.

This result sees Annaghmore on four points, and provides them with a good foundation on which to build this season.

Annaghmore Scorers

Eoin McCormack 1-5 (1 free), Shane Smyth 1-2 (1 free), Matthew Willis 0-1, Michael McQuade 0-1, Martin Tennyson 0-1
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: heganboy on May 13, 2007, 05:42:56 PM
ballyhegan beat tullysaran by a point

I thought it was 2 points HB?

If it was only one then feck what a winner from the stand-out player Paul Courtney. 45 meters from the sideline! Magic!

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 14, 2007, 08:15:53 AM
Quote from: heganboy on May 13, 2007, 05:42:56 PM
ballyhegan beat tullysaran by a point

I thought it was 2 points HB?

If it was only one then feck what a winner from the stand-out player Paul Courtney. 45 meters from the sideline! Magic!

I wasn't at it, but I heard that he scored with the last kick of the ball when the scores were level.

Hank Everlast

yep, tullysaran got the equaliser at the death, ref said there was 1 minute to go and ballyhegan went straight up the field from the kick out and won a free on the side line at the 45 and paul courtney just belted it over... monster of a point. In fairness Tullysaran had a number of easy chances in the second half that a more confident side would have had the game killed off

Goats Do Shave

Nice one then!  ;D

- Young Corrigan looked a decent prospect for for the 'saran. Just needs a bit more strength in his kicking leg. - dropped a few short!

Heard Armagh defeated Metah in a challenge game yesterday 2:12 - 1:12 - Stevie & Oisin with the goals.