Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 10, 2009, 04:46:17 PM
Any words on an apparent incident at the NTS vs. Drumragh league game last weekend? There seems to be something about it on HS and the Drumragh notes this week refers to "horrific injuries"?

It's in the paper today. Police appealing for witnesses!!!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

orangeman

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 11, 2009, 09:52:10 AM
Any words on an apparent incident at the NTS vs. Drumragh league game last weekend? There seems to be something about it on HS and the Drumragh notes this week refers to "horrific injuries"?

Where's that ??????

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: orangeman on June 11, 2009, 10:02:37 AM

Where's that ??????

The police? I think they are in most towns, but some have closed up since Good Friday.

It's in the Strabane Chronicle, which means it's almosr certainly in the Herald as well.

orangeman

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 11, 2009, 10:20:46 AM

Where's that ??????

The police? I think they are in most towns, but some have closed up since Good Friday.

It's in the Strabane Chronicle, which means it's almosr certainly in the Herald as well.

So it's safe to say that a complaint has been made to them then ?

Is it normal for the police to highlight an incident of this nature in the local press or is this a new departure just for the GAA ?.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: orangeman on June 11, 2009, 10:29:23 AM

Where's that ??????

Is it normal for the police to highlight an incident of this nature in the local press or is this a new departure just for the GAA ?.

Not sure what you mean... I'd say it's normal. If a complaint was made- and I assume it has- it would be standard practice to seek witnesses.

orangeman

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 11, 2009, 10:31:25 AM

Where's that ??????

Not sure what you mean... I'd say it's normal. If a complaint was made- and I assume it has- it would be standard practice to seek witnesses.

Have you ever seen this is in the local press before where an incident has occured at say a rugby, soccer, basketball, hockey match and the cops have put it in the paper that they're looking for witnesses.

I know I haven't ever seen it before - it's new to me.

tyrone86

Quote from: orangeman on June 11, 2009, 10:33:55 AM

Have you ever seen this is in the local press before where an incident has occured at say a rugby, soccer, basketball, hockey match and the cops have put it in the paper that they're looking for witnesses.

I've seen it a couple of times in particularly serious instances. If I recall correctly there was even a guy that got a suspended sentence for breaking a guys jaw on the field about 10 or 12 years ago

Bensars

Its common enough knowledge who carried out the cowardly act on one of the players.

Thought the referees report would be the first place to look

Norf Tyrone

Where's that ??????

Loads of times to be honest. There was a case re a ref getting assaulted at a F+W game recently in the papers, and I've seen several other reports of police being called to F+W games.

orangeman

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 11, 2009, 10:45:05 AM

Where's that ??????

Loads of times to be honest. There was a case re a ref getting assaulted at a F+W game recently in the papers, and I've seen several other reports of police being called to F+W games.

Never heard of it here in the East to be honest - The West seems to be different in this regard.

Final Whistle

The last time I heard of something like this was when a well known Brackaville man was assaulted up in North Tyrone!!

Christ that must have been 8 years ago.

Most rows I see are a bit of boxing quickly sorted out.

Solution>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Better refereeing???

A good referee can sense a row coming and take action to avert it. For example if the temperature is rising DO NOT start hopping the ball between players-99% of the time ends in a melee!!

A good referee should also not blow the game up when he believes the home team are going to pipped at the death!!!

Im looking at your Messer.Hughes!!!

Rocky Mc Guigan

There's not much a referee can do when one player decides to elbow another in the face due to bad blood between clubs dating back a few years- unfortunately referees dont have the benefit of a crystal ball.

orangeman

Quote from: Rocky Mc Guigan on June 11, 2009, 12:26:44 PM
There's not much a referee can do when one player decides to elbow another in the face due to bad blood between clubs dating back a few years- unfortunately referees dont have the benefit of a crystal ball.

True.

billy the kid

Thought this might interest some of you.

The Ulster Camogie Council are making a massive push ahead of their Ulster Finals.  Can you support them by publisizing their finals in all Clubs, Club and County Websites and all local Media (Radio and Newspapers)

Please Find attached the Final Poster and the Children's (U14) Free Ticket.

ULSTER CAMOGIE CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS 2009

PAIRC ESLER, NEWRY
SATURDAY 4th JULY
[/b]

Ulster Camogie: Press Release – By. Niamh Archibald (Ulster Camogie PRO)

Ulster Camogie hosted the 2009 Provincial Championship Finals launch on Friday evening at the finals venue at Pairc Esler Newry.  Mayor of Newry and Mourne District Colman Burns was present to help launch the Ulster Finals.

Mayor Burns said: "Ulster Council should be commended for their dedication to making the Ulster Final a festival of camogie which could be enjoyed by all the family.

"The hard-work that has gone in by all those involved should be commended, this will be the best final Ulster Camogie has witnessed. The teams, players and officials are lucky to be taking part in such a momentous occasion.

Catherine O'Hara Chairperson of Ulster Camogie said: "The GAA has to be congratulated for giving us the opportunity to create what we hope will be the finest Ulster Final. They have worked tirelessly to ensure that we have a pitch and date which we can build around. Danny Murphy and Tom Daly have to be thanked for giving us this unique opportunity, we hope with their continued support and help to make the Ulster Final an annual event which will be placed in every GAA calendar.

"It's now up to us, as an association, in a Province with a unique history to get behind our own sport and be visibly seen supporting the game we are so proud to be part of. It's about respecting  ourselves first.

On behalf of the Council Iwould like to wish all the finalists and officials  the best of luck. Pairc Esler on 4th July is where we should all be.

Two fabulous finals and the buzz that goes hand in hand with finals day is one not to be missed."

Also present at the Launch was Ulster Secretary Danny Murphy . The Provincial GAA Director spoke of the need to support Camogie. Danny Murphy stated that the time has come for Camogie to receive the respect and recognition it deserved saying: "for some time now the Camogie Association has been saying that it should get more respect. I'm a big believer that respect is not given but earned and you only have to look at what Ulster Camogie is trying to achieve with this Final to know that they are worthy of our respect."

The Ulster Finals will take place on the 4th July, with Tyrone facing Monaghan in the Junior Final, whilst neighbours Derry and Antrim will battle it out for the Senior title.

(For all the latest updates log onto www.ulstercamogie.ie )

CLICK BELOW TO VIEW - Ulster Camogie Final Promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_KH5og1zwY

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

WeeDonns

Lads, I was at the game and saw the incident.

The ref couldn't have prevented it.
The ball was out of play for a goal kick. As our keeper was getting ready for the kickout, our FB and their FF were straight out in front of him standing still and then out of the blue this coward levels our full back.

The ref was waiting for the kickout and the incident took place between him and the ball, so he would have had a good view of it and sent the player off.

Their manager was straight on the field shouting that our man took a dive and wasn't touched! Meanwhile he's lying on the ground with his face all over the place.

Some of you may argue that plenty of boxing goes on on the field and that it shouldn't go to the police. But this wasn't a case of a scuffle breaking out between a couple of players during play (which happens a lot, but is usually handbags without many serious punches being landed)

This is a case of a guy standing beside another, thinking about what hes going to do and then just levelling him without warning or a chance to protect himself. It's assault and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

I'm aware newtown are trying to spread a new version of this story, you may take my word for it that the one above is correct. Two other Drumragh men were hit off the ball on Sunday, one of those received a broken jaw.